PDA

View Full Version : US to UK postage question

t0p
February 27th, 2011, 06:56 PM
When someone in the USA mails a package to someone in the UK, using USPS (which I assume means "United States Postal Service" or similar), who would pick it up in the UK and deliver it to the recipient's address? Would it be Parcel Force? The Royal Mail? And how would one track the package as it wound its way to its destination?

I have discovered that the USPS tracking number system (a code like "LN098765432US") will only reveal that such a package has been "accepted for delivery". I have no idea how one can track its progress any further.

Any snail mail enthusiasts know about this? Cheers.

Oh, and a belated "Ta, mate!" to all those involved in getting the Cafe up and running again. I think that the Cafe is one of the best things about Ubuntuforums.org (after, of course, the excellent tech support we can all give each other in the other forums on the site). As the adage has it, I didn't realise how much I loved it until it was gone. I hope that doesn't happen again! :)

mips
February 27th, 2011, 07:00 PM
When someone in the USA mails a package to someone in the UK, using USPS (which I assume means "United States Postal Service" or similar), who would pick it up in the UK and deliver it to the recipient's address? Would it be Parcel Force? The Royal Mail? And how would one track the package as it wound its way to its destination?

I have discovered that the USPS tracking number system (a code like "LN098765432US") will only reveal that such a package has been "accepted for delivery". I have no idea how one can track its progress any further.

Any snail mail enthusiasts know about this? Cheers.

Should be the local countries postal service, in this case Royal Mail.

Over here USPS tracking numbers are converted to a local tracking numbers once the item enters the country in order to keep an eye on it so you would track it with the local postal service instead of USPS. No idea how they handle it in the UK.

Edit: I see http://track.postoffice.co.uk/portal/po/track?catId=20700386&_requestid=2532 has a tick box for incoming international mail.

Megaptera
February 27th, 2011, 07:05 PM
If you send it "recorded" delivery or "signed for" through US Postal Service
the Royal Mail (or Parcel Force depending on the size of the item) take over responsibility of the "signed for" or "recorded" service that you've paid for in the USA.

Useful link from US Postal Service: http://www.usps.com/international/sendmail.htm

If you send it Fedex or UPS (or similar) they handle that parcel door-to-door and don't involve the Royal Mail/Parcel Force.

t0p
February 27th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Edit: I see http://track.postoffice.co.uk/portal/po/track?catId=20700386&_requestid=2532 has a tick box for incoming international mail.

Thanks so much for the quick reply! Unfortunately (for me) I've already tried that "Track & Trace" system, and it was unable to help, suggesting that maybe the package had not yet arrived in the UK. The package was sent out some time ago, so either the package has been lost, the ship carrying it ran into an iceberg (pesky things, those icebergs. They look so little on the surface, but check 'em out down under- they're huuuge!!!), or maybe it isn't being dealt with by Royal Mail/Parcel Force at all. I just hope it hasn't been lost/stolen - it contains millions of euros' worth of diamonds, which of course I couldn't declare as the diamonds "belong" to "someone else"... ;)

Megaptera
February 27th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Hopefully you'll not need the info below to trace your friend's vast stash of diamonds but just in case .....

Royal Mail Customer Services:
International callers: +44 1752387112

General Enquires: FREEPOST, 20 Turner Road, St Rollox Business & Retail Park, GLASGOW G21 1AA
Making a claim: Royal Mail Customer Services, FREEPOST, Plymouth PL9 7YB

Edit: Just noticed the Saint's name, please write it carefully!!!