PDA

View Full Version : Installation Problem: Ubuntu Netbook on Thinkpad R51E

Will S
February 27th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Hi,

I'm new to Ubuntu (and to Linux in general). I have a legacy thinkpad that I want to experiment with.

It's an Intel R51E
Intel Pentium 1.86 GHZ
781 MHZ, 488 MB Ram

and I attempted to install the most recent (as of 1-2 months ago anyway) version of Ubuntu Netbook.

I did a complete install from CD and it was partially successful (The computer shows the Ubuntu startup screens, completes the boot, and even finds my wireless) but when it's done I don't see any toolbars or icons. If I mouse over the edges they appear for a fraction of a second then disappear again. I'm guessing this has something to do with the display preferences being set for a Netbook screen? but since I'm unfamiliar with the OS I don't know how to tweak it.

Any help would be appreciated and I can provide whatever additional info is needed.

Regards,
Will

harrisonk
March 1st, 2011, 05:33 PM
What is your graphics card make? You might need a propritary driver. to see find hardware drivers in one of the menus (I don't use the netbook interface so don't ask me where anything is) open it up and see if it thinks you need a driver.

Harrison

Will S
March 3rd, 2011, 04:39 PM
Thanks for getting back to me.

I'm running an ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M Graphics

I've made some progress since my last post. In safe and regular desktop mode, things appear to display correctly and I'm able to get online and see the installed software. I don't need the netbook interface so I don't mind that it isn't enabled but I do want to make sure I have the correct drivers installed.

Under: System->Administration the only driver related option I see is "Additional Drivers" but clicking on it the only driver it mentions is one for the software modem which it says is "activated and currently in use". Not sure how to find the Ubuntu equiv of the Windows "Device Manager" to check that the rest of my drivers are installed.

Regards,
Will

What is your graphics card make? You might need a propritary driver. to see find hardware drivers in one of the menus (I don't use the netbook interface so don't ask me where anything is) open it up and see if it thinks you need a driver.

Harrison

Sethalos
March 8th, 2011, 09:51 PM
I'm having the same Issue...I have a Gateway LT13 netbook with an ATI Radeon grx card. I installed the 10.10 netbook remix and all that I see is the desktop theme, but no icons or buttons. If I mouse over where they should be there's a blank white placeholder, or half an image.

No idea how I can install drivers when I can't see the screen. Not even sure how to boot into safe mode, haha. Will try and figure that out though.

So, if anyone knows the fix for this that would be great.

Seth

Will S
March 9th, 2011, 03:52 PM
If your setup is displaying like mine, you should have a chooser box at the bottom of the screen, right after you sign in, where you can select safe mode or desktop version. Once in desktop version, my machine seemed to handle Ubuntu fine and you can get at the system utilities. Best of luck