PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] System / Software Update fails (message included)

bertrand.barbier
February 27th, 2011, 04:58 PM
I am looking for help. I am as newbie as they come, new to Ubuntu and I'm loving it very much. I've ended up removing Windows.

I've encountered my first problem which I cannot seem to solve, and besides backing up everything and re installing Ubuntu 10.10 I thought I'd post a message.

Here's the deal, I cannot update my system. The message below is displayed after I try updating it through the terminal. I've copied and pasted the last bit that is displayed in the terminal.

I would appreciate any help I can get. Since re installing Ubuntu and finding every single program I have is a hassle and costly (I don't have unlimited broadband connection)

Thanks in advanced

**In case some people do not feel safe opening the .txt file**

Message that displays upon update failure:

Hit http://www.mirror.upm.edu.my maverick-security/universe i386 Packages
Fetched 23.1kB in 21s (1,093B/s)
Reading package lists... Done
W: An error occurred during the signature verification. The repository is not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG error: http://extras.ubuntu.com maverick Release: The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG 16126D3A3E5C1192 Ubuntu Extras Archive Automatic Signing Key <ftpmaster@ubuntu.com>

W: An error occurred during the signature verification. The repository is not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG error: http://archive.canonical.com maverick Release: The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG 40976EAF437D05B5 Ubuntu Archive Automatic Signing Key <ftpmaster@ubuntu.com>

W: An error occurred during the signature verification. The repository is not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG error: http://packages.medibuntu.org maverick Release: The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG 2EBC26B60C5A2783 Medibuntu Packaging Team <admin@lists.medibuntu.org>

W: Failed to fetch http://extras.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/maverick/Release

W: Failed to fetch http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/dists/maverick/Release

W: Failed to fetch http://packages.medibuntu.org/dists/maverick/Release

W: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
bertrand@bertrand:~$

thefasterblueone
February 27th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Run this in terminal:

sudo apt-get update

let us know if you get any errors.

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 27th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Try entering these commands in a terminal.

apt-get clean
cd /var/lib/apt
mv lists lists.old
mkdir -p lists/partial
apt-get clean
apt-get update

bertrand.barbier
February 27th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Run this in terminal:

sudo apt-get update

let us know if you get any errors.
Hi there,

I got the message trying this out.

Thanks, I'll see if a second time it does anything.

bertrand.barbier
February 27th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Try entering these commands in a terminal.

apt-get clean
cd /var/lib/apt
mv lists lists.old
mkdir -p lists/partial
apt-get clean
apt-get update

Hi,

I've tried following the lines. However, I get told access denied. I tried something on the top of my head and inserted the sudo command in front. It asked me for the password and I put it then it displayed this:

bertrand@bertrand:~$ apt-get clean
E: Could not open lock file /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the download directory
bertrand@bertrand:~$ cd /var/lib/apt
bertrand@bertrand:/var/lib/apt$
bertrand@bertrand:/var/lib/apt$ mv lists lists.old
mv: cannot move `lists' to `lists.old': Permission denied
mv: cannot move `lists' to `lists.old': Permission denied
bertrand@bertrand:/var/lib/apt$ sudo mv lists lists.old
[sudo] password for bertrand:
mv: cannot stat `lists': No such file or directory
bertrand@bertrand:/var/lib/apt$ cd~
No command 'cd~' found, did you mean:
Command 'cda' from package 'xmcd' (universe)
Command 'cdb' from package 'tinycdb' (main)
Command 'cdo' from package 'cdo' (universe)
Command 'cdv' from package 'codeville' (universe)
Command 'cdw' from package 'cdw' (universe)
Command 'cdp' from package 'irpas' (multiverse)
Command 'cd5' from package 'cd5' (universe)
cd~: command not found
bertrand@bertrand:/var/lib/apt$ cd ~
bertrand@bertrand:~$ sudo apt-get clean
bertrand@bertrand:~$ sudo cd /var/lib/apt
sudo: cd: command not found
bertrand@bertrand:~$ cd /var/lib/apt

As mentioned before, I'm as noob as it gets.

thefasterblueone
February 27th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Be sure you don't have any oyher updating applications open, like Synaptic Package Manager, or Ubuntu Software Center.

Try this in terminal:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 27th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Hi,

I've tried following the lines. However, I get told access denied. I tried something on the top of my head and inserted the sudo command in front. It asked me for the password and I put it then it displayed this:

OK, the lines need sudo except for cd

sudo apt-get clean
cd /var/lib/apt
sudo mv lists lists.old
sudo mkdir -p lists/partial
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get update

You already entered some of them with sudo so you may have already moved list to list.old. It will give you an error that list does not exist.

bertrand.barbier
February 27th, 2011, 06:50 PM
I've tried this. I don't see anything noticeable happening. I will try updating my system and see if I get the errors.

bertrand.barbier
February 27th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Be sure you don't have any oyher updating applications open, like Synaptic Package Manager, or Ubuntu Software Center.

Try this in terminal:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

Hi again,

I hope you get the pictures and they are legible. I've tried doing this. It does not look like much happened but the update icon appeared in my notification area so that I could click on it to update it.

When I did, the two messages (included in the pictues) popped up.

thefasterblueone
February 27th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Ok. Be sure you don't have any open Applications, reboot if you have to then run this command :

sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock

sudo cp /var/lib/dpkg/status-old /var/lib/dpkg/status

bertrand.barbier
February 27th, 2011, 07:28 PM

sudo apt-get clean
cd /var/lib/apt
sudo mv lists lists.old
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get update

You already entered some of them with sudo so you may have already moved list to list.old. It will give you an error that list does not exist.
Hi again,

Wow! Words fail to describe how glad I am to see progress! It worked in the terminal, now I've opened the Update Manager and things are going according to the norm. So far so good, but I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch.

I posted the comment with pictures before I got your this message. I'll let you know once the 34MB of updates are done. Many thanks for your support!

bertrand.barbier
February 27th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Many many thanks to Old_Gray_Wolf and thefasterblueone!!!

You both have been very helpful and supported me with this. I can finally use the update manager as I used to.

Using the codes to input in the terminal by Old_Gray_Wolf, the problem resolved.

Should I somehow mark this thread as solved??

Bless you both!

Cheers!

:D

bertrand.barbier
February 27th, 2011, 07:52 PM

sudo apt-get clean
cd /var/lib/apt
sudo mv lists lists.old
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get update

yeah I did get the message 'doesn't exist'.

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 27th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Should I somehow mark this thread as solved??

If it is solved.

At the top of the thread, use Thread Tools -> Mark this thread as solved.

Edit: When I refreshed the thread, I saw that you had already make it as solved.

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 27th, 2011, 08:48 PM
I posted the comment with pictures before I got your this message. I'll let you know once the 34MB of updates are done. Many thanks for your support!

I can't resist laughing at this. Look at what is in the background of your screenshots.

:lolflag:

bertrand.barbier
February 28th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Hi there,

I checked.. You mean 'beans=fart' line? that's a funny line, along with your reply... :)

I was doing stuff on the fly, so to speak..

woodmaster
February 28th, 2011, 09:52 PM
sudo apt-get clean
cd /var/lib/apt
sudo mv lists lists.old
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get update
This also solved my upgrade issues. My errors weren't quite the same, but software center thought I had an incomplete upgrade(probably due to me not removing PPA's prior to upgrading.) Only thing is my sound doesn't work properly. It plays too fast. But everything else updated fine now! :-)

Old_Grey_Wolf
March 1st, 2011, 01:11 AM
This also solved my upgrade issues. My errors weren't quite the same, but software center thought I had an incomplete upgrade(probably due to me not removing PPA's prior to upgrading.) Only thing is my sound doesn't work properly. It plays too fast. But everything else updated fine now! :-)

Thank you. It is nice to know that a post has helped someone.

woodmaster
March 1st, 2011, 01:55 AM
yep, we need a thanks button like precentral.net has.

bertrand.barbier
March 2nd, 2011, 02:05 PM
Like the saying goes, ' a small prayer goes a long way'. In this case, your thread saved me god knows what kind of uber head ache.

I am relieved that you responded. And very prompt too!

@ woodmaster:

Hi there,

I am tempted to give your solution a try. However, things are working and I dare not poke the sleeping beast.. :D
Thanks for sharing your solution. If the problem should repeat I'll give it a shot. I'm hoping for the best that it doesn't though.

I am so used to Windows (cause I've been a windows user almost all my life). Ubuntu is awesome, there is an element 'X' that satisfies me. I'm loving it (...that's Coca Cola, right?)

Cheers!

Iamwithin
June 9th, 2011, 01:35 AM
Thank you sooo much!
This is why I love Ubuntu and Linux in general.
Your solution at the command line worked perfectly. :D

Bill

fixitdude
June 9th, 2011, 03:33 AM
Don't you think the upgrading program should take care of all this?

Shouldn't it detect if the guy isn't updated and all that?

Please comment in this thread, this really has to stop.

"Why are Ubuntu upgrades still so much trouble?"
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1777864

It only takes a little time to clean this upgrade process up, just a little extra thinking and a little extra care before releasing a upgrade program.

Not "it's done, it worked once, ship it !"

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 9th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Don't you think the upgrading program should take care of all this?

Shouldn't it detect if the guy isn't updated and all that?

Please comment in this thread, this really has to stop.

"Why are Ubuntu upgrades still so much trouble?"
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1777864

It only takes a little time to clean this upgrade process up, just a little extra thinking and a little extra care before releasing a upgrade program.

Not "it's done, it worked once, ship it !"

I will comment on this thread. I am the person that offered the solution quoted in previous posts.

You are confusing updates and upgrades! This thread was about updates. Some of what I describe bellow applies to upgrades as well.

The update program can not be fool-proof. Sometimes a network outage interrupts an update, or a power outage interrupts and update, or someone has manually changed the sources.list file, or adds a repository that is not a standard Ubuntu supported repository, and so on.

There is not an operating system I have ever used that can deal with everything that my happen by accident or user intervention. Try powering off a computer that is installing (they all recover well if just the download is interrupted) Microsoft Windows updates, OS X updates, Solaris updates, BSD updates; then, see what happens. There are also some things that can occur when the update program isn't running; therefore, it can not deal with them.

I offered a solution that works in many cases. It justs cleans up the mess that result from many of those accidents; unfortunately, not all of them.

When you use a computer you take some responsibility for your own actions, the performance of the ISP you choose to use, and the reliability of the utility company you choose to use. No operating system can be held accountable for your choices beyond its control. One of the things that people like about Linux is that you have more control (freedom!) over what you are allowed to do with your computer.