PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Why does Ubuntu keep freezing up?

maxin11p
February 27th, 2011, 04:40 PM
15-20 minutes after I turn on my computer, Ubuntu will randomly freeze, and nothing works. I have to physically reset my computer. It's never had this problem before, it's just been doing this very recently. Any idea why?

Running 10.10, if that helps.

Hurry up and help me before my computer freezes again! XD

vivek.pandey
February 27th, 2011, 04:44 PM
15-20 minutes after I turn on my computer, Ubuntu will randomly freeze, and nothing works. I have to physically reset my computer. It's never had this problem before, it's just been doing this very recently. Any idea why?

well i once had a similar problem and i posted a thread you can check it out. sorry i cant provide you the link for that thread as i am watching cricket world cup .... you know cricket fever on :-) but sure check out that thread..might b of some help

gandaran
February 27th, 2011, 04:51 PM

have you installed the updates? sometimes new kernels updates causes the freeze problem on some hardware so if you still have an older kernel installed boot it from the grub list, if your computer worked fine with the older kernel it will still work well with it.

thefasterblueone
February 27th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Have you installed any software lately that maybe causing this?
Be sure to have all the latest updates for ubuntu.
Your computer could be getting hot, make sure it's not full of dust and cat hair, that stuff gets everywhere.
Also you can check your logs for any errors that maybe occurring.
check back if you still need help.

bobdabuider
February 27th, 2011, 05:07 PM
I'm having the same problem it will freeze then when i restart the pc it gives boot disk failure and i have to keep restarting it many times to get it to load up again

mike555
February 27th, 2011, 05:33 PM
I had a freezing problem .......... not over heating , tested memory, tested hard drive , nothing ......
but I replaced the hard drive , now no freezes ... something to think about.

hansolo4949
February 27th, 2011, 06:08 PM
This sounds EXACTLY like you are overheating your pc. The next time you boot it, listen. Do you hear the fans coming on at all between boot and the lockup? if you don't then Ubuntu isn't activating your fans, due to a software incompatibility or bug. I would suggest using another pc (if you have one) to look for a solution to make the fans at least come one, before you start trying to fine-tune it.