PDA

View Full Version : The other way around...

TheCaptain
May 3rd, 2006, 06:17 AM
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=34&threadid=1853425&enterthread=y

This is from another forum, it gives and insight in how it's like to be used to Linux and Installing windows, it's no spoof, he is quite sincere.

DON'T sign up to the forum unless you intend to do a worthwhile discussion, there are a few really great people on there, Nothingman, n0cmonkey and drag.

For hardware related stuff, well, you can thank me later.

htinn
May 3rd, 2006, 06:40 AM
One of us would make a perfect "mystery shopper" for them (or vice versa). :D

briancurtin
May 3rd, 2006, 07:21 AM
ive never been able to install windows. i tried to install it on a friends computer a while back and couldnt get it to go. i forgot what we had to do to get it to work, but we did somehow. it was him not me that did it so i cant take that credit.

TheCaptain
May 3rd, 2006, 07:25 AM
ive never been able to install windows. i tried to install it on a friends computer a while back and couldnt get it to go. i forgot what we had to do to get it to work, but we did somehow. it was him not me that did it so i cant take that credit.

Never found it all that hard to install anything but AIX and Gentoo, AIX for their strange terminology and Gentoo because it consistantly wipes my partition table and exits since i have a few UFS2 partitions on it (it's a known problem i am told, yah, that helps a great deal).

Windows is okay to install as long as you have the drivers for it to load, which btw proves another thing, out of the box, Linux trumphs Wndows when it comes to OOB HW support.

nocturn
May 3rd, 2006, 02:14 PM
which btw proves another thing, out of the box, Linux trumphs Wndows when it comes to OOB HW support.

Definately. WinXP is mostly as dead as possible without driver CD's.

I recently experienced this with a reinstall for a friend. After loading the OS, only a very limited set of hardware worked, which excluded the wireless card.
That card was picked up automaticly by an Ubuntu LiveCD however.