PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Should Ubuntu license/acquire Faenza icons?

Ben Page
February 27th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Everyone who tried to customize their Ubuntu has heard of "Faenza" icons. They are just beautiful, Linux Mint has them included as the default OTB icons in their Gnome distro. It would be great if Ubuntu has done the same. I don't mind downloading a couple packages to customize my desktop, but there are people who stay with the OTB variant and judge the OS like that.
These icons would look even better in the upcoming Unity DE!

So what do you think, should Ubuntu include these icons as default in the upcoming releases? If not, why? Are there some legal and licencing issues?

Just look at the beauty!

ankspo71
February 27th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Hi,
There shouldn't be any licensing issues since the "Faenza Icons by ~tiheum" (http://tiheum.deviantart.com/art/Faenza-Icons-173323228) are licensed as GPL. However, the size of the icon pack could be a problem. Ubuntu has problems trying to keep there ISO's under 700mb. The last time I heard, Ubuntu doesn't want to have a Live DVD version. If you notice on the Linux Mint download page, they have a DVD version, and a CD version with less applications....
Missing some content (Java, VLC, F-Spot, OpenOffice.org-base, Samba, additional wallpapers and ttf-dejaVu fonts) to fit on a CD
http://linuxmint.com/download.php

Oh btw. I am using a version of Faenza icons made for KDE on my Kubuntu.

Frogs Hair
February 27th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I'm guessing that I am part of a minority that doesn't care for Faenza icons. Like the default icons that come with Ubuntu now I wouldn't use them so it wouldn't matter if they were included or not. Choice is a wonderful thing !

Ben Page
February 27th, 2011, 02:32 PM
@ ankspo71

Yes, the file size issue could be a problem in theory, but they are only 30MBs or less, and when compressed to live CD format they would be less than half that size. Now, considering that they could >replace< the currently default icons, the size of the Live CD would be roughly the same as it is now.

Mint is around 800MBs because it has included ubuntu-restricted-extras, VLC and a ton of multimedia codecs and libraries, wallpapers, themes etc. That's why it's bigger and can't fit on the CD. Just the icons are too small to make a difference, especially if you replace old ones with new ones, not add them.

Yeah, KDE looks much better with Faenza icons.

Ben Page
February 27th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Choice is a wonderful thing !

It is indeed, that's why we are here :)