PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] back in time

pressko
February 27th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Hi guys,

I'm ubuntu beginner and i have installed it (Ubuntu 10.10) 3-4 times to make it right. Now everything is alright. But i'm wondering is there a way to back-up my whole system in case that i screw up something again ( bad commands , nooby actions , etc.... ) :confused: Something like Windows system restore point ... ?

10x in advance :guitar:

emoguitarist06
February 27th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Well there's "Back In Time" lol
go to your Ubuntu software center and type back in time
I haven't used any back up software (I keep all of my important stuff on an external)
but you can check out their website here http://backintime.le-web.org/
I say just browse through the Software Center and you'll find a lot of back up apps available

Ben Page
February 27th, 2011, 10:19 AM
The best way to ensure your personal files stay intact when your Ubuntu crashes is to mount a separate Home partition, Ubuntu offers this option when installing, the down side is that you'll need to reinstall Ubuntu once again if you want to do this.Then make a separate Home partition and separate root partition.

pressko
February 27th, 2011, 10:27 AM
10x for the fast replays i will try that back in time tool.
My important things like projects, pictures, music , contacts are on extarnal ntfs HDD and there is no danger for them but i want to experiment with the OS, if i fail to back and start again without re-installing the whole OS . :popcorn:

emoguitarist06
February 27th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Great glad we can help.

And I recommend a separate /home partition like Ben Page suggests but yes it would require you to reinstall ubuntu again lol (you'll have to choose the specify partitions manually (advance) option when installing)

Just post again the forums or google it if you want us to guide you on doing that

pressko
February 27th, 2011, 10:37 AM
No 10x i know how to do it... but know my sys. is running so fine and i love it :popcorn:.
I will do as u said when i mess up it :P.

I love ubuntu community 2 .. u are awesome !!

aeiah
February 27th, 2011, 11:16 AM
probably best to use something like clonezilla to take an image of your root install. backintime is a great bit of software but i dont think it's really suited to restoring an operating system - its more for incremental data backups.