PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Problems installing 10.10

ehardeman
February 27th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Ok. I'm having issues. And I'm not very good at this...this is what I get for trying to venture out on my own.

So I have a new build. Everything is put together correctly as far as I am aware. I checked the BIOS, it registers everything accurately. I have a disc for Ubuntu 7.04 from a few years ago, so I try to install that first. So I throw that DVD in a it starts prompt for installation. Well I get to partitioning the hard drive and it is ridiculously problematic and after hours of searching I couldn't figure out how to do it. Figuring I would want 10.10 instead, I stop the installation and turn off the computer. God only knows what I did.

Now, I download 10.10, put it on a DVD, confirm the DVD works, and throw it into this new build, but it doesn't register it at all. I can hear it reading the DVD, but it does absolutely nothing, just sits there with a black screen. Unfortunately I'm terribly new at this and I jump the gun far too often, and now I've gotten myself in trouble.

What on earth did I do, and can I fix it? Someone please help.

Hedgehog1
February 27th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Now, I download 10.10, put it on a DVD, confirm the DVD works, and throw it into this new build, but it doesn't register it at all. I can hear it reading the DVD, but it does absolutely nothing, just sits there with a black screen. Unfortunately I'm terribly new at this and I jump the gun far too often, and now I've gotten myself in trouble.

I think what you are seeing is this:

There is just enough on the hard drive that the PC you built is starting to boot from the hard drive, the hangs.

Please set you boot order in your bios to boot from the CD before the hard disk. Then reboot.

Ummm... You want to do the 'use the entire disk' install, so the hard drive is wiped clean and it gets a fresh start.

:KS

ehardeman
February 27th, 2011, 08:41 AM
I thought I did that a million times, but I just did it again to be sure, and sure enough, it worked. Thank you!

Hedgehog1
February 27th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Happy to help.

Please mark the thread solved, if you would...

:KS