PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] GRUB2: Add Menu Item to Boot from CD?

pc_michael
February 27th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Is there a way in Grub2 to add an item to the grub menu to boot from optical media? So if you didn't get the boot disc inserted in time, once you hit GRUB you can use that to initiate the boot from disc?

I've been Googling for a while, but the only thing I can find is how to boot grub from a CD, which is not what I'm looking for.

rykel
December 10th, 2011, 10:24 PM
I am interested to know how to add a menu entry to grub2 too... I am trying to add PLOP Boot Manager (plpbt.bin) specifically in this case. Is there a GUI to do this simple task?

oldfred
December 11th, 2011, 12:03 AM
I have never tried these entries that I saved. Let us know if any work.

menuentry "Try Ubuntu without installing" {
set gfxpayload=keep
linux /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper quiet splash --
initrd /casper/initrd.lz
}
menuentry "Install Ubuntu" {
set gfxpayload=keep
linux /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper only-ubiquity quiet splash --
initrd /casper/initrd.lz

# Of course the set root has to be to your drive & partition, but the drive you set in BIOS to boot is usually hd0.
menuentry "Plop Boot Manager Install"{
set root='(hd0,1)'
linux16 /boot/plpbt.bin
}

I now only loopmount/boot ISO from hard drive partition or USB with grub2. I stopped burning CDs a while ago, as I also would make several emergency disks before a new install and was going thru a lot of CDs.