PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] mount new partition over /var/www

Kljuka
February 27th, 2011, 02:20 AM
My system hard drive is small, so I would like to mount /var/www directory to another disk (/dev/sdd1). I can't access the server physically, so everything has to be done remotely (ssh). And I would prefer not to have any down time (it's a production server).

I've formated the partition (mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdd1), copied data to it after temporarily mounting it to /mnt/ (cp ax /var/www /mnt/) and afterwards mounting it to /var/www (mount /var/www /dev/sdd). I will add it to fstab afterwards.

- Where did all the original files/directories from /var/www go to (I've unmounted the new partition, and /var/www got previous data. Where did the data go after the mount? I want to delete it after mounting)?
- Is this procedure correct, or did I miss something?

Thank you for your help

CharlesA
February 27th, 2011, 02:46 AM
I'm not quite sure where the data "goes" but I have a feeling it's still on the drive, you'd just told the OS to look to the other drive for files that go in /var/www

In any case - the best thing to do would probably be to copy the current data from /var/www to another folder (home directory, whatever) and then create an entry in fstab to mount the new drive to /var/www.

Test it with:

sudo mount -a

If it mounts without errors, copy the data to the new drive and test it.

SeijiSensei
February 27th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Yes, it's still on the original drive. If you unmount tne new /var/www, you'll see the old data sitting there (and using up space, I might add).

koenn
February 27th, 2011, 08:32 PM
I want to delete it after mounting)?
If you delete the contents of /var/www after mounting, you'll delete the new files (from /dev/sdd1)

You have to unmount /var/www, then delete the contents of /var/www, then mount /dev/sdd1 on /var/www again.
And you really want to get this right.

Kljuka
February 27th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Thank you for your help.
But what happens if there are some open files or sockets? Will they be automatically closed and reopened after mount on the new partition? I'm running jailkit in directory (so there is a socket that redirects logs from jailed dir to /var/log):

lsof | grep "/var/www"
COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
jk_socket 1654 nobody 5u unix 0xffff880138f73300 0t0 5990 /var/www/clients/client1/web1/dev/logFurther I would like to mighrate /home directory. Will there be any problems with moving /home/ directory while being connecte with ssh (is there a problem if a user doesn't have a home directory for a moment)?

koenn
February 27th, 2011, 10:45 PM
no idea.

I thought we were talking /var/www, not the entire /var
I don't thing apache would complain much if you replace /var/www under it, but you can always shut it down, or restart afterwards.

Sockets and open files and such - try to avoid them by shutting down as much as possible (announce a 30 minute maintenance break or so)

I'm pretty sure you can move home dirs during an ssh session, just make sure your working dir is not in your home. cd / , or so.

Kljuka
February 28th, 2011, 06:38 PM
thanks for help. Actually I wanted to move only /var/www. And I didn't have any problems doing it live (no restart of server, only stopped apache).

koenn
February 28th, 2011, 08:06 PM
good to hear