PDA

View Full Version : Firefox (actually gecko) horrizontal scroll annoyance

detyabozhye
May 3rd, 2006, 04:35 AM
One thing I really like about Linux (I think this is probably an X thing) is that I can scroll horrizontally by moving my mouse over the horrizontal scroll bar. But for some reason, Gecko based thingies won't do that, is there a way around that or do we just have to live with that? BTW, why doesn't someone continue the GTK+ port of WebCore/KHTML? I think that's much closer to native than Gecko's XUL. GNOME doesn't really have a native (in the strictest sense) browser. (I'd work on it, but I don't know C or C++ that well :p )

banjobacon
May 3rd, 2006, 05:34 AM
As you said, it's not a GTK app, so it does not follow GTK behavior.

TheCaptain
May 3rd, 2006, 06:07 AM
One thing I really like about Linux (I think this is probably an X thing) is that I can scroll horrizontally by moving my mouse over the horrizontal scroll bar. But for some reason, Gecko based thingies won't do that, is there a way around that or do we just have to live with that? BTW, why doesn't someone continue the GTK+ port of WebCore/KHTML? I think that's much closer to native than Gecko's XUL. GNOME doesn't really have a native (in the strictest sense) browser. (I'd work on it, but I don't know C or C++ that well :p )

Because nobody cares about Gnome implementations for KHTML, it's a KDE thing and there is kind of a showdown going on.

Personally i prefer KDE but still using Gnome at times, i feel most at home in KDE but Gnome is nice too, speed wise they are equal but there are a lot of things i'm missing in Gnome, i guess it comes with my territory, i'm a sucker for changing even the smallest things to my liking, i do it only once and stick with that through generations of software.

So... I guess i don't understand your question, you can't scroll sideways by moving the bar?

detyabozhye
May 3rd, 2006, 07:53 AM
... i guess it comes with my territory, i'm a sucker for changing even the smallest things to my liking, i do it only once and stick with that through generations of software.
I have the same habbit. :)

So... I guess i don't understand your question, you can't scroll sideways by moving the bar?
In GTK and QT apps I can move my mouse over the horrizontal scroll bar and move my mouse wheel to make it scroll horrizontaly, Gecko doesn't do that.

BTW, I'm an Opera fan. ;)

TheCaptain
May 3rd, 2006, 08:27 AM
I have the same habbit. :)

In GTK and QT apps I can move my mouse over the horrizontal scroll bar and move my mouse wheel to make it scroll horrizontaly, Gecko doesn't do that.

BTW, I'm an Opera fan. ;)

Ahhh... ok, works for me in konqueror, i pretty much just use that, it's extremely fast and swallows everything i throw at it.

I kinda hate how GTK stuff is done, there is no real integration between apps, it feels like it's thrown together, use kontakt, amarok, k3b and konqueror, realize that if i find a nice playlist in konqueror i can implement that in amarok, burn it in k3b and send it to everyone in Kontakt with two clicks of the mouse, everything is connected, in Gnome i'm happy if the volume control in one prog actually interacts with the main volume control in Gnome... usually it doesn't, normalize something in one gnome app and realize that you have just got full volume on the song, it's crackling up even at low volumes.

Does look nice though, and reasonably fast too.

detyabozhye
May 4th, 2006, 12:42 AM
Exactly why we really need a REAL GNOME browser; Epiphany is just a real GNOME browser shell, the insides (Gecko) are not GNOMEy at all.