PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Difficulties installing Tcl/Tk

the_photon
February 26th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Hello all,

I am posting this message because of a long standing difficulty that I am having while trying to install the Tcl/Tk development package. There are several programs (including Tkinter, etc.) that I would like to use that depend on the Tcl/Tk package.

First of all, I am using Ubuntu Lucid Lynx, and to the best of my knowledge, have stayed current with virtually all updates (sudo apt-get updates . . ). I am also aware that Tcl/Tk is allegedly one of the packages that comes with Ubuntu (i.e. you shouldn't need to download it -- it is already on your computer waiting to be fully installed).

I have been attempting to install this Tcl/Tk package for so long that I have essentially lost track of everything that I have done. Second, there are so many different "flavors" of Tcl and Tk packages available through the synaptic package manager that I really don't know precisely which ones I need. I should also add that, having never used Tcl or Tk (obviously) I am a bit ignorant of what the differences are between the Tcl/Tk developers toolkit, the libraries, the add-in's, the frameworks, etc -- I'm not real sure what all I need and what exactly I don't need.

Any time I try to install any program that depends on Tcl/Tk (the most recent attempt is my attempt to install RQDA), I ultimately run into an error message that says "Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories: /usr/share/tcltk/tcl8.5 ./lib/tcl8.5, . . . . . . ../tcl8.5.5/library" followed by "This probably means that Tcl wasn't installed properly."

Numerous attempts to install Tcl/Tk through synaptic (including older and newer version of Tcl/Tk) have ultimately resulted in this same error message, as have attempts to manually install it.

Has anyone ever successfully installed Tcl/Tk on an Ubuntu Lucid Lynx system, or have any input beyond the ump-teen suggestions that I have heard that ultimately let me back to the same problem?

Pardon me if I sound a bit frustrated -- it's not aimed at anyone on this forum -- just aimed at the situation itself.

Regards,

the_photon