PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] installing software via terminal

jjb945025
February 26th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Hello all.I was wondering if someone out ther could give me the steps on installing wine 1.2 via the terminal..I've tried running the config,make-install files inthe terminal but don't see that wine is installed uner applications.btw I am running lucid lynx and never was successful installing software via the terminal,I. Always used synaptic package manager.I can't do that this time because I haven't internet access on the lucid lynx computer,I should though once I get wine running because. I have a driver I need to use to let this android phone be recognised by the lucid lynx computer..the phone has hotspot capability but first I need to get wine 1.2 installed and running..any help would be greatly appreciated...

davidmohammed
February 26th, 2011, 10:27 PM
wine will not help with your internet connection problems - wine and device drivers will unlikely work.

use a google search such as "use android phone as modem for ubuntu" to enable your android phone to act as a modem for ubuntu.

jjb945025
February 26th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Dude..the post was a question on how to install wine 1.2.guess that's all I should've said..the drivers I have may make things work but I can't install them without wine 1.2 being installed.again, can anyone teach me how to install wine 1.2 via terminal???

davidmohammed
February 27th, 2011, 12:08 AM
sudo apt-get install wine1.2

you really dont want to try installing this one manually - it pulls in various stuff from the internet.

You'll need to get a working internet connection first.

jjb945025
February 27th, 2011, 06:32 PM
I tried that, I get an error.can't paste the error cause I'm on the android phone right now..

jjb945025
February 27th, 2011, 08:05 PM
It seems there is no way to install software without an internet connection;I don't see why...I'm having a problem adding winev1.2 to the repositories.wine 1.2 was put onto the desktop from my thumb drive..wtf. do I do???

davidmohammed
February 27th, 2011, 08:20 PM
as I said before - wine1.2 downloads stuff from the internet (for example true type fonts from sourceforge) - you cant just install the deb package you've downloaded on your memory stick.

You'll need to tether ubuntu with your android phone first as a modem.

AlexDudko
February 27th, 2011, 08:56 PM
As it was written before wine won't let you connect to Internet.
Instead you should look for the Linux native way creating Internet connection.
This thread will be of some interest for you http://www.backports.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1628531

jjb945025
February 27th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Thanks alex but what I did was blacklist the default wireless drivers.I have a driver called "globetrotter" for the 3g network and can't install it because I need wine 1.2 installed,and it won't install...

AlexDudko
February 28th, 2011, 03:11 PM
A windows driver installed in wine won't let you connect to Internet. Have you tried to connect in the Linux way, as it was suggested?
But if you still need wine, download the package itself from this page (http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/wine1.2) and all its dependencies (which you lack in your installation). And install them one by one (dependencies first) using terminal command:

dpkg -i deb_package_name
You'll need much more packages installed, if you want to compile and install wine from source.

jjb945025
March 3rd, 2011, 02:24 AM
Guys..I tried using the provided linux drivers.obviously they wouldn't work.I received no indication that linux was detecting a signal.well I uninstalled ubuntu 10.04 and installed linux mint 9.the standard wireless drivers in ubuntu were blacklisted by me and I wasn't going to try figuring out how to enable them again.so now I'm using mint 9 and I need to have the hotspot feature enabled again with sprint.ill let ya,s know what happens....

jjb945025
March 3rd, 2011, 09:52 AM
alright guys,i am now online. thanks to my own intuition..but thank you guys for all the help..