PDA

View Full Version : a good gtk text editor for coding?

jdonnell
February 25th, 2005, 04:33 AM
I'm suse (kde) user that has installed ubuntu on a spare box because it sounds like the distro I've always wanted. Now that I have it installed I'm getting comfortable on gnome and everything is going smooth except for one thing. I absolutely love the kate (a kde text editor). I mostly code php and python and kate is my perfect text editor. It allows me to create projects and handles syntax highlighting, indentation, and folding just the way I like it. My question is what are all you gnome users using?

Yukonjack
February 25th, 2005, 05:23 AM
Gedit does a mighty fine job. Some pretty good features in it.

jdonnell
February 25th, 2005, 05:51 AM
Unfortunately, I don't like gedit nearly as much as kate :( Have you used kate before?

bored2k
February 25th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Unfortunately, I don't like gedit nearly as much as kate :( Have you used kate before?

Scite is way better than gedit u might like it

Anjuta IDE looks a lil fizz like Kate [with the integrated terminal n stuff

Buffalo Soldier
February 25th, 2005, 06:28 AM
Not much of a coder, still trying to learn python slowly. But mainly I use Gedit and Bluefish.

Ironi
February 25th, 2005, 07:17 AM
Is there something wrong with using kate? I don't recommend using KDE on Ubuntu (it seems to be an afterthought), but the apps running under GNOME should be fine.

ThePainter
February 25th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Hi,
I dont do programming as such but I do write my websites by hand if that counts.
Back in XP I used Notepad but here I use Gedit, I tried quanta and it seemed good but it puts loads of funny foratting in the html's so I stopped using it and I dont like to install things that install the kde base so quanta and kate are out for me.
I like the way the linux ones coulour code the text so you can see any errors in the coding.

Yukonjack
February 25th, 2005, 07:24 PM

Yes I did but in Ubuntu I don't have or use KDE, once you get use to gedit it's preety good, does what I need out of it. As far as editors goes it don't matter to me as long it does the job.

jdonnell
February 25th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Is there something wrong with using kate? I don't recommend using KDE on Ubuntu (it seems to be an afterthought), but the apps running under GNOME should be fine.

I didn't want to install extra libraries just for a text editor. I may do it though.

jdonnell
February 25th, 2005, 07:52 PM
... once you get use to gedit it's preety good, does what I need out of it. As far as editors goes it don't matter to me as long it does the job.

Do you code for 10 hours a day? I do and making things as easy as possible are very important for productivity.

jdonnell
February 25th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Scite is way better than gedit u might like it

Anjuta IDE looks a lil fizz like Kate [with the integrated terminal n stuff

Thanks, I'm going to try out both of them.

Yukonjack
February 25th, 2005, 09:02 PM
Do you code for 10 hours a day?

What does that have to do with the subject, what ever works for you. Just because you like kate doesn't mean everybody else will. We are all individuals with a choice of how each of us do things and the programs one prefers, it all come down to the final product how you get there who cares as long it's done and finish and works that's what counts. Same goes with IDE it's a choice of each individuals, the freedom of GNU/Linux choices for each of us.

KLineD
February 25th, 2005, 09:48 PM
I read somewhere that gedit is getting features like current line marker and closing bracket marker and such things if that's the special features you miss from kate

jdonnell
February 25th, 2005, 09:54 PM
What does that have to do with the subject ...

I'm sorrry, I didn't mean it that way. :-#

What I meant is that I code all day and the conveniences that gedit lacks make me less productive than I am with kate. To put simply, gedit doesn't work for me as my primary development editor.

Yukonjack
February 25th, 2005, 10:22 PM
I'm sorrry, I didn't mean it that way. :-#

What I meant is that I code all day and the conveniences that gedit lacks make me less productive than I am with kate. To put simply, gedit doesn't work for me as my primary development editor.

Hey no big deal it's all good, like I said it's all about personel preferences.
Hope you find something you like, happy hunting. :)

DJ_Max
February 25th, 2005, 11:36 PM
Currently I use Bluefish, and sometimes gEdit. Both get the job done fine. As there's not much I need a editor to do except highlight the syntax. I haven't use Scite, but heards it's good.

Jeorb
March 18th, 2005, 07:21 PM
The file selector in Kate that is what I can't seem to find in any other editer. Kate has a file selection widget with three very nice features:

1. There is a "URL Bar" type text entry widget at the top that lets you point the file selector at local files, network files, or any other URI type supported in KDE. You can edit ALL files as if they were local.

2. The file selector widget has two tabs. One for open files and another for files in the current directory shown in the "URL Bar".

3. The file selecter widget is docable so you can easily navigate the files you want to edit right in the same window you are editing from.

If anybody knows of a gtk editor that has something similar, please point to it. I can't seem to get kate working in Ubuntu so a gtk equivalent would be VERY appreciated.

--- UPDATE ---

I managed to get Kate working by deleting my old preferences from KDE 3.3 so I'm not quite so desperate for a kate workalike any more.

-- FURTHER UPDATE --

Bluefish's file selector can be made to act like Kate's file selector. It takes a little longer to get started than with Kate but it's worth it to use Bluefish's excellent PHP and HTML editing features.

1. Start Bluefish
2. File -> Open
3. Click on one of the file selector buttons.
4. Press the '/' key on your keyboard to bring up a URI entry box
5. Enter in the URI of the remote server you need to work on
eg "ssh://myserver.example.com/"
6. Open one of the files you need to edit.

Now that server you just connected to shows up in the file selection pane in the main editing window! Repeat steps 2 and 3 for each server you need to connect to. The servers will remain available in the file selecter pane as long as you leave bluefish open.

I highly recommend anyone who loves Kate for web work but wants to run an all GTK desktop try Bluefish.

jdodson
March 18th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Do you code for 10 hours a day? I do and making things as easy as possible are very important for productivity.

sometimes i do and gedit works fine. if i need to build a GUI or whatever, glade is really nice. i usually program php and python with the occasional sql backend. gedit is fine for all of those languages. however, like i said when i need a gui, glade is my program.

i would not call myself less productive either, i can pump out signifigant code in a reasonable amount of time. gedit, glade and google work really well.

HungSquirrel
March 18th, 2005, 09:46 PM
If you are familiar with vi/vim and don't mind using it for coding, sudo apt-get install vim-gnome, then Alt+F2 and run gvim. I don't know if Ubuntu does so by default (it's been a loooong time since I've done an install), but you may have to cp /usr/share/vim/vim63/vimrc_example.vim ~/.vimrc to get syntax highlighting.

jdonnell
March 19th, 2005, 10:58 PM
i would not call myself less productive either, i can pump out signifigant code in a reasonable amount of time. gedit, glade and google work really well.

Kate makes me more productive than gedit does. Gedit just doesn't cut it for me.

jdonnell
March 19th, 2005, 11:02 PM
If you are familiar with vi/vim and don't mind using it for coding ,..

I've very familiar with vim. It's what I used before Kate and I still use it a lot. Kate and vim are a great combo. What I'm looking for is the other piece of that combo on gnome. If you use vim a lot then you know how it can be annoying as a primary gui text editor. Having to switch modes to cut and paste, etc.

Note: emacs is not an option ;)

kassetra
March 19th, 2005, 11:34 PM
I absolutely love the kate (a kde text editor). I mostly code php and python and kate is my perfect text editor. It allows me to create projects and handles syntax highlighting, indentation, and folding just the way I like it. My question is what are all you gnome users using?

Well, I typically use bluefish, cssed, screem, peacock, and nvu -- but those are for web coding and such, for the most part. (Bluefish is great for php) ...

but it sounds like you're wanting something more like:
Code Browser (http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php?soft_id=463)
or
TEA (http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php?soft_id=111)

or even possibly wyoEditor (http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php?soft_id=578) ... ?

TravisNewman
March 20th, 2005, 04:02 AM
bluefish and screem all the way (for web design anyway-- don't do much other coding). Nvu? I just don't like it. It's a flashy version of Mozilla Composer, which always seemed to be trying to compete with MS Front Page Express, just with a few handy things added-- not robust enough for much serious design projects.

That being said, for simple texting (is that a verb?) I like scintilla.

blinksilver
March 20th, 2005, 11:50 AM
you can always recompile the almighty Emacs with GTK support, i wonder why ubuntu doesn't do it in the first place

njs12345
March 20th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Eclipse? It's kind of heavy, but I really like it. :)

Sigma
March 20th, 2006, 10:47 AM
I'm also looking for a good text editor for development. I haven't used Kate, but I'm used to UltraEdit for Windows, which has pretty much everything I need.

Since I've switched to Ubuntu, I've mostly used Scite -- I'm not a big fan of gedit. Scite isn't bad, but it still lacks a lot of features that I use from popular Windows editors like UltraEdit. (For example, there's no option to open or save a remote file through FTP.)

ComplexNumber
March 20th, 2006, 04:11 PM
there's also an app called vee, which is vim with a gtk frontend. click (http://gnomefiles.org/app.php?soft_id=743)

Hamman
March 20th, 2006, 04:53 PM
http://scribes.sourceforge.net/

Stormy Eyes
March 20th, 2006, 05:00 PM
sudo apt-get install vim-gnome

vi vi vi -- the editor of the beast
vi vi vi -- the one for you and me

hizaguchi
April 3rd, 2006, 05:27 PM
I'm looking for a decent gnome editor too. I tried KDE a while back on a whim, but when I realized how useful Kate was for writing matlab/octave code (it recognizes the syntax, has a built in terminal) I was instantly hooked. I can't go back to gnome without a replacement for Kate.

zhemao
July 6th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Nobody has mentioned this yet, but one of the misconceptions about how "powerful" gedit is stems from not knowing about its plugin system. Gedit has a very powerful plugin system which supports writing plugins in Python or C. if you are planning on using Gedit for coding make sure to install the gedit-plugins package and activate the plugins you want. These plugins make gedit just as powerful and productive as more "advanced" text editors like Kate, Vim, and Emacs. The three plugins I find most useful are the File Browser plugin, the Snippets plugin, and the Autocomplete plugin.

Also, make sure to activate auto-indent, line numbers, matching bracket highlighting, and current line highlighting in the preferences. In addition, change the tab width to your personal preference (mine is 4). The default tab width is 8, which is too wide for most people (by that I mean everyone except Linux Kernel hackers).

jerenept
July 6th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Um... I strongly recommend Geany.
Built-in terminal, syntax highlighting, code folding, compiler support (it will highlight an error in the code, if the compiler complains). It's really good.

cgroza
July 6th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Emacs is everything I need for any language on the planet.

Random_Dude
July 6th, 2011, 05:34 PM
gVim

Started to use it some months ago and I'm loving it. :)
At the beginning it's a little hard, but since I like to try out more unusual programs, I decided to stick with it. It wasn't a bad decision.

Cheers :cool:

jhonan
July 6th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Nobody has mentioned this yet
I know what you mean - I've been F5'ing this thread for over 5 years now.

Anyway, if it's being resurrected, let's do it in style: Mine, in order of preference: Eclipse/VIM/Gedit/Geany

cgroza
July 6th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Hmmm, no love for emacs...

Random_Dude
July 6th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Hmmm, no love for emacs...

There, there...

But it's strange it's not mentioned more often. It's a great editor, I just think vim's keybindings are easier to remember.
I never really understood the editor holy wars. They are both great, so why all the ridicule and criticism from users of both editors?

cgroza
July 6th, 2011, 06:25 PM
There, there...

But it's strange it's not mentioned more often. It's a great editor, I just think vim's keybindings are easier to remember.
I never really understood the editor holy wars. They are both great, so why all the ridicule and criticism from users of both editors?

Hmm, I find emacs shortcuts easier on the brain. After discovering that it shares shortcuts with bash, I am even more excited now.
And for the holy war, there is just no room for 2 in the Unix/Linux world.
Although I find sweet the idea to chat on IRC and to code C++ in the same time in emacs.

Random_Dude
July 6th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Hmm, I find emacs shortcuts easier on the brain. After discovering that it shares shortcuts with bash, I am even more excited now.
And for the holy war, there is just no room for 2 in the Unix/Linux world.
Although I find sweet the idea to chat on IRC and to code C++ in the same time in emacs.

It's a matter of preference. I prefer to switch between modes and not leaving the home row. Besides, I don't know Lisp, so I found the config file in emacs rather hard to understand.
But I can see the appeal of doing everything in emacs. If you are used to the keybindings, then it's probably very useful to have them consistent in doing other tasks (email, irc, etc.).
There's plenty of space for good text editors in the Linux world. :)

mips
July 6th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Holy crap batman, talk about necromancy!

DoktorSeven
July 6th, 2011, 07:23 PM
vim-gtk. Don't need all the Gnome stuff since I don't use it.