PDA

View Full Version : OpenShot

Swagman
February 26th, 2011, 09:02 PM
I've just been playing around with the updated version of OpenShot. Hey it's really not bad at all.

My daughter asked me to film her show jumping last night so I dragged out my old but once very expensive Sony Vx9000e (http://www.ps2netdrivers.net/review/sony.dcr-vx9000e) (Full size DV) camera which has been stuck in the cupboard since I gave up filming weddings about 3 years ago. It's just too big & clunky to lug around for personal usage and I'm a bit of a hoarder to get rid of it although I think I've well missed the boat in terms of trading it in for something newer and more manageable.

The first bit of trouble came when I raised the cam to my shoulder. The Event owner immediately came over questioning me assuming I was a commercial venture... Just because it's a big video recorder. After my daughter explained it's only to film her for personal usage I got the go ahead. Quite ironic it should cause such as stir as the max res it films at is 720 x 576 @ about 700 lines in uncompressed DV. New handy cams now have a higher res !!

Anyway.. I filmed her achieving first place taking care not to film anyone else. Next day the next problem reared it's ugly head.

I have upgraded my Pc considerably since "those days" and no longer had XP installed (been pure Ubuntu for yonks). Needles to say I couldn't whack another hard drive in with XP on it as I have only Sp1 & update disk to Sp2. Those that know will realise that to install SP1 you need a floppy drive to install sata drivers. This Mobo has no floppy port and I really can't be arsed spending hours googling a way round it when it's only for this project.

So I updated OpenShot which I had installed on here just for the craic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craic).

Hey, this new version aint bad. I am used to Full pro MediaStudioPro which obviously has ALL the features but quickly found my way round OS. Only shortcomings immediately apparent were the lack of wipes (page peels etc) and zooming to individual frames, otherwise.. We are rocking. In fact I think it should be default install in Natty.

Next issue relates to my camera again... I really think it must have a CCD failing or something like that as the quality really was down A LOT. Footage under what I filming (being wiped with new footage) was rich, high quality footage.

That was the last straw .. I did some googling and decided on a Sony HDRCX130EB Handycam Camcorder due to be released on March 10th from that big river place !!

Here's the footage edited & rendered in OpenShot for those inquisitive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szFtXANACNI

Anyway.. Kudos to the OpenShot team

nowin4me
February 27th, 2011, 03:12 AM
OpenShot looks really good, I have heard about OpenShot before and never have really used it for a few reasons:

1: Webcam isn't compatible with Ubuntu
2: Don't have any videos to edit
3: Can't make videos because I wouldn't know what to talk about

Also, the video quality of your video is very good. Is that because of OpenShot or the camera it's self?

NightwishFan
February 27th, 2011, 03:16 AM
I made this video using OpenShot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmJqGKUkb8E

I like it a lot. It can crash on you, but rarely, and is very useful as a simple NLE.

MisterGaribaldi
February 27th, 2011, 04:20 AM
Wow, Swagman, that looks really good.

I'm not into doing video stuff, but I'm familiar with the basics enough to see what you did here and like it a lot.

How long has your daughter been riding? She looked really good, happy, and solid.

To be honest, I was surprised I didn't see any snow outside. I guess you guys are getting warmer temperatures there now, though this was one very brutal winter. Thank goodness I don't live up in the north. :D

EDIT: As of the time of this post, the temperature in Sleaford (which, if I'm understanding British geography correctly) is about 39°F. That's still pretty cold!

Swagman
February 27th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Wow, Swagman, that looks really good.

I'm not into doing video stuff, but I'm familiar with the basics enough to see what you did here and like it a lot.

How long has your daughter been riding? She looked really good, happy, and solid.

To be honest, I was surprised I didn't see any snow outside. I guess you guys are getting warmer temperatures there now, though this was one very brutal winter. Thank goodness I don't live up in the north. :D

EDIT: As of the time of this post, the temperature in Sleaford (which, if I'm understanding British geography correctly) is about 39°F. That's still pretty cold!

Melissa has been riding a fair while but the horse she bought (the one she's riding) was BADLY looked after and it's taken her a long time to "beef him up" and to win his trust. He has quite a sense of humour !!

My Mum, Sis & bro live Stateside so I heard about the brutal weather you guys have had ( Mum & sis live in Charlotte & bro lives in New Hampshire). It's not tooo bad here now, temps are finally into double figures and the sun is shining....Although the temp on my monitor reports it's currently 9c.

Thanks for the comments on her riding etc, I'll pass them on to her.

:-)

Here's a link to her first attempt at editing using the original OpenShot.. Notice she didn't get the wipes correct.. Also the greater height of the jumps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98xZ0isAIJM&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Swagman
March 1st, 2011, 05:39 PM
OpenShot looks really good, I have heard about OpenShot before and never have really used it for a few reasons:

1: Webcam isn't compatible with Ubuntu
2: Don't have any videos to edit
3: Can't make videos because I wouldn't know what to talk about

Also, the video quality of your video is very good. Is that because of OpenShot or the camera it's self?

OpenShot or any other NLE proggie can only be as good, picture wise, as the raw footage in the first place.

Perhaps I was being too harsh on my old Vx9000 ?
But if you saw how rich the footage was that was being replaced by the new stuff I was filming you'd probably agree that my camera has already seen its best years !!

My wife jumped at the prospect of me blowing all the money I had saved to replace the graphics card in this comp (GT8800) with a shiny new GTX580 and buy a PalmCorder instead.

Back to square one for the savings for the GPU. No doubt she'll also want a Turbo Nutter speed/size sim card for the New camera as well !!