PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Pro 8,1 + Maverick

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

ruiferreira
February 26th, 2011, 04:58 PM
I've created this thread so that people can post their experiences of ubuntu on their (brand new) macpro.

Here's mine:

Macbook Early 2011. 13 inch. Base Model. No external graphics card (just the one that comes with sandy bridge).

- Wireless not working. No suggested proprietary driver. Even downloading the wl driver directly from broadcom does not work. The network card is Broadcom 4331 which is brandnew and doesn't seem to be supported by any driver.

- Intel Sandy Bridge graphics not working.

- New webcam HD facetime webcam or whatever isight is called now, works out of the box.

Didn't try anything else yet. What's your experience?

gforster
February 26th, 2011, 05:34 PM
I have the 15 inch 2.3 Ghz Macbook pro. It is a nice machine, but when installing ubuntu I am experiencing similar problems with wireless. I have the AMD graphics and it did recognize the amd graphics processor.

Mine also says it is the 8,2 model number, not 8,1.

ruiferreira
February 26th, 2011, 05:42 PM
The sandy bridge graphics are supposed to be supported in 2.6.38 so I'm not worrying too much about that. The wireless on the other hand... broadcom has an history with linux.

gforster
February 27th, 2011, 03:45 AM
After playing with it a little more I need to amend what I wrote earlier.

The AMD graphics don't completely work. Desktop effects and 3D is working, but there is a little box in the bottom-right corner telling me that it is AMD unsupported hardware. It looks as if the driver has not been released for linux yet.

The broadcom wireless/card reader chip is the broadcom "NetXtreme 57765." Apparently this is supposed to be in the kernel, but something is missing.

http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/faq_drivers.php#tg3

Multitouch is not working on the trackpad, I'm reading lots of information, but none of it seems to apply to this machine.

I can live with the weird AMD message concerning my unsupported hardware (for now) but wireless is pretty important.

I haven't tested the card reader or the thunderbolt port yet either.

ruiferreira
February 27th, 2011, 03:09 PM
The NetXtreme 57765 is the wired network card. It was supported out of the box in ubuntu with the tg3 module. For the wireless I think the most likely solution is the brcm80211. I'm not sure if the device is supported but at least there are some defines in the source code to deal with the Broadcom 4331.

Maybe a good option would be try and upgrade to natty and see what happens. I'll try that next time i'm close to a wired network.

gforster
February 27th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Maybe a good option would be try and upgrade to natty and see what happens. I'll try that next time i'm close to a wired network.

I will do this when I finish copying all of my files over from my old laptop (another 7 hours to go - I wish that thunderbolt port would do me some good right now:))

Amaranth
February 28th, 2011, 01:43 AM
Natty is no help, still no wifi. Does the Fn key work for you guys?

ruiferreira
February 28th, 2011, 03:49 AM
In natty I got the graphics working fine (intel hd 3000). Also no wireless, touchpad, fn, etc - I didn't make a big effort to get them working anyway, with no wireless no dice.

dpix
February 28th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Natty is no help, still no wifi. Does the Fn key work for you guys?

Have you tried the brcm80211 driver for wireless?

I plan to buy a new Macbook Pro myself, but without wifi it's pretty useless.

ruiferreira
February 28th, 2011, 03:13 PM
I tried the brcm80211 that comes with 2.6.38-5 with no luck. I didn't try anything from staging of staging-next.

-Rui

Amaranth
February 28th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Got the wifi to work with ndiswrapper at least, submitting this post with it. I used the attached driver with ndiswrapper and on natty had to modify ndiswrapper itself to compile against the 2.6.38 kernel but you shouldn't have to worry about that in maverick.

Sorry about the double compression but I needed to use 7z to get it small enough to attach and gz to get a file format the forum would allow. file-roller should open it without problems although you may need to install the p7zip package first.

Edit: Since the wiki links to this post I thought I should update it with the current status. It seems for many people installing this driving and loading the ndiswrapper module causes the kernel to hang which can even cause the computer to fail to boot due to it loading the module on boot. When it does load correctly it appears to end up causing the internal keyboard and mouse to stop responding after a short time. I would advise using this as a last resort if you cannot use ethernet or some kind of USB networking (tethering, wifi dongle, etc).

gforster
February 28th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Thank you for that driver. I will be installing it soon. Once I can get my touchpad working. I don't know what I did, but I can't click on anything. I'm comfortable enough with using the keyboard, but sometimes, you just need the cursor.

At this point I have messed with som many different configuration files and it is still early enough in the process that I may just wipe and start over again.

patientfox
February 28th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Got the wifi to work with ndiswrapper at least, submitting this post with it. I used the attached driver with ndiswrapper and on natty had to modify ndiswrapper itself to compile against the 2.6.38 kernel but you shouldn't have to worry about that in maverick.

I'm purchasing an 8,1 MBP in the next few days and am planning on going straight to natty. Can you post a patch for your ndiswrapper changes or maybe submit them upstream? I understand, based on the topic, that this thread is about maverick, but it seems to make a lot more sense, for most users, to go straight to the natty alphas (since they won't necessarily have to deal w/ the xorg-edges ppa, etc to get video working)

ruiferreira
February 28th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Thanks, I can confirm that the driver with ndiswrapper works fine (tried on natty). I'm experiencing some freezes from time to time on booting but i'm not sure that's due to the wifi driver or something else being natty unstable.

The next step is to get the touchpad + fn keys working. there's still no mactel ppa for natty so i'll try to install bcm5974-dkms from source and post the results here.

Amaranth
February 28th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Yeah, bcm5974-dkms doesn't include the ID for the touchpad in the 8,1 and adding it to the driver doesn't make things work so I suspect more work is needed there.

As far as ndiswrapper goes, I later discovered upstream SVN already has the exact same changes I made so I wasted time duplicating effort there.

patientfox
February 28th, 2011, 08:29 PM
FYI, I've created a new community doc page at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro8-1/Natty (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro8-1/Natty#preview)

I've also added a link to the page from the main MacbookPro page on the community doc site. The page also links back to this thread.

Please feel free to update with any info you discover over time. I will begin working on it myself and get it into shape along with the other pages. As stated in my previous post, I think focusing on Natty makes a lot of sense, going forward (but that's just my opinion).

Amaranth
February 28th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Ok, so after a reboot loading ndiswrapper in to the kernel causing it to hang quite solidly. Back to the drawing board...

patientfox
February 28th, 2011, 09:18 PM
The network card is Broadcom 4331 which is brandnew and doesn't seem to be supported by any driver.

Has anyone verified that this is the case with the newest broadcom proprietary drivers? Specifically the ones at http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php ?

It lists the 4311 as being supported.. so is 4331 a typo, perhaps? If not, the linked page has a support mailing list for linux issues, maybe firing off a message to that list is in order?

Sorry I can't do much to help atm, still waiting to purchase my MBP :/

gforster
February 28th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Installed natty, ran updates, rebooted, and I can no longer start X. I'll have to figure out what went wrong later. Right now, I have to get some work done.

huwshimi
March 3rd, 2011, 05:36 AM
Ok, so after a reboot loading ndiswrapper in to the kernel causing it to hang quite solidly. Back to the drawing board...

Any luck with this? Thanks heaps for your effort.

taxilian
March 3rd, 2011, 05:43 AM
Macbook Pro 8,3 is the 17" model; I'm having about the same experience as everyone else. I will try the broadcom driver first, then the ndiswrapper solution, but I think I'll update to natty first.

Amaranth
March 3rd, 2011, 05:47 AM
Any luck with this? Thanks heaps for your effort.
Nope, newer versions of the driver don't work with ndiswrapper, older versions don't have support for the chip we have, and even pulling from ndiswrapper SVN ends up with either a kernel hang or at least modprobe hanging and the kernel hanging if you try to disrupt it.

huwshimi
March 3rd, 2011, 05:59 AM
Nope, newer versions of the driver don't work with ndiswrapper, older versions don't have support for the chip we have, and even pulling from ndiswrapper SVN ends up with either a kernel hang or at least modprobe hanging and the kernel hanging if you try to disrupt it.

Is this likely to be affected at all by the fact you are trying with amd64?

Amaranth
March 3rd, 2011, 06:02 AM
Well the older x86 driver still won't support the chip and the newer one fails due to trying to use a bunch of Windows kernel functions that ndiswrapper doesn't support so x86 won't help there.

There is a small chance x86 would help with the hanging but I doubt it and you give up too much by using x86 anyway.

huwshimi
March 3rd, 2011, 06:05 AM
Well the older x86 driver still won't support the chip and the newer one fails due to trying to use a bunch of Windows kernel functions that ndiswrapper doesn't support so x86 won't help there.

There is a small chance x86 would help with the hanging but I doubt it and you give up too much by using x86 anyway.

Does that mean pretty much waiting for ndiswrapper to be updated before we get wireless then?

Amaranth
March 3rd, 2011, 06:06 AM
The last commit to ndiswrapper was a couple weeks ago adding 2.5.38 compatibility. The one before that was 5 months ago. I doubt you'll see a fix on the ndiswrapper side for this. We just need a native driver.

gforster
March 3rd, 2011, 07:36 PM
After playing some more with it, I am able to log in and use the system just fine using "classic desktop" mode. Using unity, it crashes repeatedly. Probably partly the bugs with unity, partly the absence of a correct driver for the radeon graphics card.

Webcam, sound, SD Card reader and microphone work out-of-the-box.

Monitor resolution is perfect.

Touchpad works as a normal touchpad, but I can't figure out how to get a right-click action out of it. Ctrl+click = middle mouse action (sometimes, like on hyperlinks, but won't close a firefox tab). Multitouch does not work.

Bluetooth is not recognized. Extended keyboard functions like play/pause, volume control, etc do not work.

Thunderbolt (Intel 6 Series Chipset Family HECI Controller #1) & SMBus (Intel 6 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller), and Broadcom's Network controller are all listed as "UNCLAIMED" and are unrecognized.

This is on a base-install system with the most recent updates as of this post. I have not added any repositories or installed special applications except cheese to test the webcam and aptitude because I like it better than apt-get. No ubuntu-restricted-extras or mactel ppa.

Hope at least some of the info is helpful.

patientfox
March 3rd, 2011, 08:18 PM
After playing some more with it, I am able to log in and use the system just fine using "classic desktop" mode. Using unity, it crashes repeatedly. Probably partly the bugs with unity, partly the absence of a correct driver for the radeon graphics card.

Webcam, sound, SD Card reader and microphone work out-of-the-box.

Monitor resolution is perfect.

Touchpad works as a normal touchpad, but I can't figure out how to get a right-click action out of it. Ctrl+click = middle mouse action (sometimes, like on hyperlinks, but won't close a firefox tab). Multitouch does not work.

Bluetooth is not recognized. Extended keyboard functions like play/pause, volume control, etc do not work.

Thunderbolt (Intel 6 Series Chipset Family HECI Controller #1) & SMBus (Intel 6 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller), and Broadcom's Network controller are all listed as "UNCLAIMED" and are unrecognized.

This is on a base-install system with the most recent updates as of this post. I have not added any repositories or installed special applications except cheese to test the webcam and aptitude because I like it better than apt-get. No ubuntu-restricted-extras or mactel ppa.

Hope at least some of the info is helpful.

Great news! Do you think you could update the wiki page? (I linked to it earlier in the thread) with this info?

Thanks.

pelle.k
March 3rd, 2011, 09:52 PM
How does that work anyway? If i do nothing, is the radeon active as the default display adapter? It's more often the other way around on hybrid graphics laptops (intel is the "primary" display adapter).
What happens if one connects an external display (on the displayport i assume)? Does it work with either adapter active, or does the radeon have to be activated (like on most hybrid graphics solutions found in pc laptops)?

pelle.k
March 3rd, 2011, 10:05 PM
I suppose the best thing to do would be to report the logged output of ndiswrapper to the developers, so that with a little luck they could try to implement those unsupported windows kernel functions in ndiswrapper.

Also, my experience with ndiswrapper tells me you shouldn't give up so easily. One version of the windows driver might work perfectly, while another wont do anything at all. I also always try different flavours, like XP, VISTA and 2000 before i give up. I also try different versions of ndiswrapper, in combination with the above. It's a pain, but sometimes worth it.

This new chipset wouldn't by any chance be backwards compatible with some (linux native) driver from the same chipset family would it? Maybe you could try rebuilding some driver and just include the new device id?

I haven't got mine yet, so until then you guys are on your own :)

gforster
March 3rd, 2011, 11:28 PM
Great news! Do you think you could update the wiki page? (I linked to it earlier in the thread) with this info?

Thanks.

I just added what I could for now.

How does that work anyway? If i do nothing, is the radeon active as the default display adapter? It's more often the other way around on hybrid graphics laptops (intel is the "primary" display adapter).

The radeon is not active on my system (driver isn't installed), so I assume that it is the intel graphics that are working for me. It detects that radeon needs drivers, but they aren't the right ones. I tried to install them earlier and lost all graphical parts to the system. I am going to wait to install them until they are released.

I think I like the classic desktop mode better at this point anyway, but that is just a preference.

brian242r
March 5th, 2011, 02:11 AM
Hey, dont want to come off pushy or anything but has any more work happened with documenting what works and dosnt on the wiki?

There are lots of question marks everywhere and im going to be in the market for a laptop VERY soon... these laptops are a choice so just wondering if anyone would be very nice and take the time to document:

3D Acceleration
HFS/HFS+
CD/DVD Writing
Suspend & Hibernate

also, does anyone think it would be possible to do a complete remap of the keyboard to try and get some of the buttons working?

gforster
March 5th, 2011, 02:26 AM
Hey, dont want to come off pushy or anything but has any more work happened with documenting what works and dosnt on the wiki?

There are lots of question marks everywhere and im going to be in the market for a laptop VERY soon... these laptops are a choice so just wondering if anyone would be very nice and take the time to document:

3D Acceleration
HFS/HFS+
CD/DVD Writing
Suspend & Hibernate

also, does anyone think it would be possible to do a complete remap of the keyboard to try and get some of the buttons working?

I am positive that most if not all of this will be working (and documented) in the near future. But, right now there are only a few people that own this very new equipment. The work is being done to make sure it is compatible for the upcoming release of Natty which is right now in its alpha stages.

As for remapping keyboard buttons, I am positive this can be done, but I am trying to modify my system as little as possible for the time being.

brian242r
March 5th, 2011, 02:32 AM
I am positive that most if not all of this will be working (and documented) in the near future. But, right now there are only a few people that own this very new equipment. The work is being done to make sure it is compatible for the upcoming release of Natty which is right now in its alpha stages.

As for remapping keyboard buttons, I am positive this can be done, but I am trying to modify my system as little as possible for the time being.

Fair enough call....

Do you think that ALL of it will work with Natty? even the integrated graphics?

gforster
March 5th, 2011, 02:44 AM
Fair enough call....

Do you think that ALL of it will work with Natty? even the integrated graphics?

I have great faith in the community, so yes, I do believe it will all eventually be working. But, do not take that as a guarantee.

Espen11
March 5th, 2011, 03:54 AM
I have not tested much, but most is already working fine, tho not documented. And when mactel is available for Natty I believe keyboard/backlight brightness, keys and so on will work as on earlier macbook pro's, which is perfectly.

The two small concerns I have is graphic and wireless. But the Sandy Bridge (HD3000) chip should work fine in 2.6.38, even with good performance (ref. http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_snb_13lines&num=1). And I have hopes that the broadcom wifi-chip will work with the new open-source driver in the mainline kernel. **fingers crossed!**

ndiswrapper is a ugly and hopefully temporary solution.

Amaranth
March 5th, 2011, 04:29 AM
Unless support for this chip suddenly emerges and the Ubuntu kernel team backports the support the open source driver will not support it. The driver in 2.6.38 does _not_ support this chip. Our best bet is to get a new binary driver from broadcom.

The intel graphics "works" but it is rather easy to crash the system or at least cause a GPU hang (even fullscreen youtube will do it). Hopefully mesa 7.10.1 will help with this as it has a bunch of sandy bridge fixes.

I have no idea what is happening with the Fn keys but I doubt it'll work out of the box on natty, it'll need a PPA.

I actually haven't closed the lid on this laptop since I installed natty so I'll have to see if suspend/resume works but intel is usually pretty good at that and since we currently don't even have drivers for mostly anything else I don't expect to see problems.

geek0101
March 5th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Hello guys,

I would like to get on board with this thread. I just got the 17" 2011 mbp and no wifi.

huwshimi
March 5th, 2011, 07:06 AM
I just managed to get wireless working on my 8,2 using Amaranth's driver and boowebb's instructions. Working fine and no crashes so far.

The instructions are up on the wiki page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro8-1/Natty#Wireless

Note: you HAVE to be using amd64 for this to work.

Thanks a lot to Amaranth and boowebb for getting this working.

b16a2smith
March 5th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Okay I tried sudo update-manager -d and let me tell you what.... FAIL. I am setting up for a straight fresh install of natty, my screen went all wonky. And to top it off the wifi would show the networks but wouldnt connect. Any ideas?

b16a2smith
March 6th, 2011, 12:31 AM
Fresh install and it is running a bit better. Any luck on the sound, mine is not working.

b16a2smith
March 6th, 2011, 01:09 AM
it wont connect to the wireless networks, but sees them, any input?

gforster
March 6th, 2011, 01:34 AM
Fresh install and it is running a bit better. Any luck on the sound, mine is not working.

I had to make sure that the volume was turned up and not muted in the preferences. I am not sure why it was muted after install. After I unchecked mute, the sound worked fine.

huwshimi
March 6th, 2011, 02:02 AM
it wont connect to the wireless networks, but sees them, any input?

I did a couple of things differently to the guide to get mine working, not sure what fixed it though.

In /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf I removed "bcm43xx" from the bottom as it was a duplicate for me.

I also did not add "ndiswrapper" to /etc/modules as it was stopping Ubuntu from booting.

b16a2smith
March 6th, 2011, 06:10 AM
So where can I keep a close eye on development for this machine/series? I would like to know when a nice stable build will be working, thanks guys!

huwshimi
March 6th, 2011, 06:13 AM
So where can I keep a close eye on development for this machine/series? I would like to know when a nice stable build will be working, thanks guys!

Probably your best bet is to keep an eye on the wiki page (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro8-1/Natty). It'll probably be the best collection of what's working.

b16a2smith
March 7th, 2011, 05:28 AM
Watching very closely to see what new is working. I am so pumped.

brian242r
March 7th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Watching very closely to see what new is working. I am so pumped.

As am I, buying in April a couple of days Natty comes out so hopfuly the fixes will be good....

DarthScape
March 7th, 2011, 06:41 PM
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_snb_13lines&num=1

Can't wait to get my new macbook pro. Hopefully I can get compiz to work, thats all I'm worried about.

b16a2smith
March 7th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Has anyone had any luck with the trackpad?

b16a2smith
March 7th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Also, who is using maverick? If so are you on the .38 - 7 kernel? how is it?

gforster
March 7th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Has anyone had any luck with the trackpad?

In what regard? It works insomuch as you can move the cursor and left-click. Right-click and multitouch do not work.

gforster
March 8th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Confirmed that CD/DVD writing works fine out-of-the-box. External monitor also works fine (I used the mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter).

This is one incredibly fast and hardworking machine. I am getting excited as more and more things are getting checked off of the list and progress is being made getting the hardware working.

I cannot test the firewire port as I don't have nay firewire devices. It is recognized with lshw, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it works correctly. I have an apple remote somewhere that I should be able to test later. After that, only the 3D acceleration, which I can't quite get working correctly, remains with a question mark on the wiki. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro8-1/Natty (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro8-1/Natty)

danix84
March 8th, 2011, 04:33 PM
I still have troubles with my wifi...I've followed the instructions in this link : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro8-1/Natty#Wireless

i get:
bcmwl5 : driver installed
device (14E4:4331) present

but iwconfig give me this result:
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

please help me!

_mario_
March 8th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Hi,

can someone please provide some more hardware details, i.e., by attaching the output of the following commands:

lspci -vnn > lspci.txt 2>&1
sudo lsusb -v > lsusb.txt 2>&1
sudo acpidump > acpidump.bin

The files should be named: lspci.txt, lsusb.txt, and acpidump.bin. The latter command needs the additional package acpidump.

Please don't forget to mention your exact machine. If in doubt, run:

sudo dmidecode --string system-product-name

thanks & ciao,
Mario

gforster
March 8th, 2011, 07:02 PM
MacBookPro 8,2

Hope this helps

Espen11
March 8th, 2011, 08:05 PM
How is the wireless performance? Is it stable? WPA?

I'm asking since i have a MBP 7.1 with 10.10, and it works, but it disconnects once in a while and doesn't perform anywhere near as good as OSX.

gforster
March 8th, 2011, 08:07 PM
How is the wireless performance? Is it stable? WPA?

I'm asking since i have a MBP 7.1 with 10.10, and it works, but it disconnects once in a while and doesn't perform anywhere near as good as OSX.

Right now it is very finnicky, I attribute it to new hardware on an alpha-release operating system. I think it will get better.

gforster
March 8th, 2011, 09:29 PM
The tab for the touchpad under System > Preferences > Mouse is missing. I thought it was there earlier (last week or so), but I could be mistaken. Does anyone know how to get it back?

I am wondering because not being able to right-click is driving me crazy.

Also, I can't find any indication as to when the Mactel PPA for Natty will be available. Any ideas? Should (can) I use the one from maverick?

Amaranth
March 8th, 2011, 10:48 PM
The tab for the touchpad under System > Preferences > Mouse is missing. I thought it was there earlier (last week or so), but I could be mistaken. Does anyone know how to get it back?

I am wondering because not being able to right-click is driving me crazy.

Also, I can't find any indication as to when the Mactel PPA for Natty will be available. Any ideas? Should (can) I use the one from maverick?

For that we need a driver for the touchpad, which we currently don't have.

b16a2smith
March 8th, 2011, 11:49 PM
Hey @Amaranth & @GForster hey thank you guys so much for the work, I know nothing about code and drivers. I will be sending you guys some "coffee" money as soon as possible.

Once again thank you so much.

gforster
March 9th, 2011, 01:14 AM
For that we need a driver for the touchpad, which we currently don't have.

That is what I thought, but wasn't sure. I guess it is kind of a hurry-up-and-wait game for the moment.

Espen11
March 9th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Have any of you tried this driver?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9193610&postcount=130

hinckeyboy4jc
March 9th, 2011, 05:59 PM
On MacBookPro8,2 I tried to install the driver per the wiki page. When I run
sudo ndiswrapper -i ~/Download/amd64/bcmwl5.inf (note that the filename is actually an 'l'(L), not a '1'(one)) I get the following error:
couldn't find "BCMWL5.SYS" in "/root/download/amd64"; make sure all driver files, including .inf, .sys (and any firmware files) are in "/root/download/amd64" - installation may be complete

When I run an ndiswrapper -l I see
bcmwl5: invalid driver!

Any ideas?

gforster
March 9th, 2011, 07:01 PM
remove the currently installed driver

ndiswrapper -r bcmwl5.inf
make sure you have extracted the entire file
navigate into the correct directory (it shows above that you were in your root folder, not your home folder)then
ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf
pick it up from that point and you should be good

danix84
March 9th, 2011, 07:02 PM
On MacBookPro8,2 I tried to install the driver per the wiki page. When I run (note that the filename is actually an 'l'(L), not a '1'(one)) I get the following error:

When I run an ndiswrapper -l I see

Any ideas?

I had the some problem..i solved renaming the sys file in bcmwl5.sys

i gues you have linux 32 bit (as me)...my wifi did'nt work with those driver..

danix84
March 9th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Ciao Mario! grazie per l'aiuto:D

attached you can find the lspci.txt, lsusb.txt and acpidump.txt

my macbook is a 8.1 13".

I have ubuntu 10.10

I hope you can help me somehow

hinckeyboy4jc
March 9th, 2011, 07:28 PM
I had the some problem..i solved renaming the sys file in bcmwl5.sys

i gues you have linux 32 bit (as me)...my wifi did'nt work with those driver..

renaming the .sys file worked.

When I get to the
sudo modprobe ndiswrapper I get the error
FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found.

andybotting
March 9th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Just wanted to let you all know, I've managed to patch my kernel to make the bcm5974 driver properly detect the trackpad (and give multi-finger click, etc).

I've also managed to make it detect the keyboard fn-buttons too, so the sound buttons work, and you get the page-up, page-down, end and home buttons.

I'm working on a patch now so I can send it upstream. The trackpad code will probably go into the dkms module, but the keyboard stuff needs the usbhid driver patched, so that might have to wait for ubuntu to pick it up into their kernel.

I'll post more info once the patch is done!

danix84
March 9th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Just wanted to let you all know, I've managed to patch my kernel to make the bcm5974 driver properly detect the trackpad (and give multi-finger click, etc).

I've also managed to make it detect the keyboard fn-buttons too, so the sound buttons work, and you get the page-up, page-down, end and home buttons.

I'm working on a patch now so I can send it upstream. The trackpad code will probably go into the dkms module, but the keyboard stuff needs the usbhid driver patched, so that might have to wait for ubuntu to pick it up into their kernel.

sound good!
How did you managed to fix the wifi problem? I'm using ubuntu 10.10 but my wifi card doesn't' work:(

andybotting
March 9th, 2011, 08:22 PM
How did you managed to fix the wifi problem? I'm using ubuntu 10.10 but my wifi card doesn't' work:(

No love for the WiFi yet. I think that'll be a lot harder to solve than the trackpad :)

I was hoping Broadcom's wifi code donation would have extended to the new chip in these machines. They may be still working on it, I don't know

axboe
March 9th, 2011, 09:02 PM
No love for the WiFi yet. I think that'll be a lot harder to solve than the trackpad :)

I was hoping Broadcom's wifi code donation would have extended to the new chip in these machines. They may be still working on it, I don't know

I trust you already tried just adding the pci-id to the brcm80211 driver?

axboe
March 9th, 2011, 09:05 PM

Can you post these patches somewhere? Did you have to do more than add device ids? I have the 8,2, just haven't had time to look into the linux issues yet.

I did notice that it boots and uses the ati gfx chip exclusively. The radon fb supports it, and the radeon Xorg driver detects and uses it as a 'turks' generation so that appears to work too. The laptop is running very hot though, and consumes ~30-32W which is about double that it should. So I'm guessing some power management isn't done yet for that ati model.

That is the only test I did so far, booting the natty alpha 3 on the laptop.

kosumi68
March 9th, 2011, 11:26 PM
For natty users: here are packages for testing, including Andy's patches, many thanks for those! Expect keyboard and multitouch trackpad support to work on the new MBP models.

For maverick users: Upgrade to natty alpha. Seriously. The kernel support in maverick was so poor for the late 2010 models that you will definitely be better off with an alpha version.

Enjoy!

One more thing - _do_ install all packages (in order hid, hid-apple, bcm5974) before rebooting, or you may find it difficult to use the keyboard and/or trackpad ;-)

b16a2smith
March 10th, 2011, 04:41 AM
For natty users: here are packages for testing, including Andy's patches, many thanks for those! Expect keyboard and multitouch trackpad support to work on the new MBP models.

For maverick users: Upgrade to natty alpha. Seriously. The kernel support in maverick was so poor for the late 2010 models that you will definitely be better off with an alpha version.

Enjoy!

One more thing - _do_ install all packages (in order hid, hid-apple, bcm5974) before rebooting, or you may find it difficult to use the keyboard and/or trackpad ;-)

Could you please, for the sake of newer users please post some sort of instructions?

_mario_
March 10th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Hi,

with respect to display backlight, it looks like it's the same device as on older models. however we need to figure out the exact range it supports (same procedure as every time), which works like this:

Boot into Mac OS X.
Run the following command to get the interface's version:

sudo ioreg -l -p IOPower | grep -i gmux
Add the kernel options `agclog=10000 agcdebug=4294967295' to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist. This enables a lot of very noisy kernel log messages. The final configuration file should look like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>agclog=10000 agcdebug=4294967295</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Reboot Mac OS X.
Change display backlight a bit, in particular set it to minimum (off) and finally maximum.
Attach the file /var/log/kernel.log (from Mac OS X).
Remove the added kernel options and reboot.

thanks & ciao,
Mario

_mario_
March 10th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Could you please, for the sake of newer users please post some sort of instructions?

Download and unpack the archive somewhere. To unpack, run:

tar xvf dkms-packages-natty-for-testing.tar.gz
Install dependencies:

sudo apt-get install dkms linux-headers-generic
Install kosumi's packages:

sudo dpkg -i hid-dkms_1.1.1~test2_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i hid-apple-dkms_1.0.1~test1_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i bcm5974-dkms_1.1.8~test1_all.deb

ciao,
Mario

patientfox
March 10th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Download and unpack the archive somewhere. To unpack, run:

tar xvf dkms-packages-natty-for-testing.tar.gz
Install dependencies:

sudo apt-get install dkms linux-headers-generic
Install kosumi's packages:

sudo dpkg -i hid-dkms_1.1.1~test2_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i hid-apple-dkms_1.0.1~test1_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i bcm5974-dkms_1.1.8~test1_all.deb

ciao,
Mario

I installed as per these instructions and, after reboot, my keyboard/trackpad stopped working (only the power button functions).

I'm running an up-to-date (I did apt-get update & upgrade immediately before installing the above packages.. I already had dkms and linux-headers-generic installed) natty alpha install (installed from the alpha 3 ISO).

entry-level macbook pro 8,1 ... I haven't yet tried removing these modules (I have a wireless usb kb/mouse I can use), just wanted to get some feedback first.

patientfox
March 10th, 2011, 06:00 PM
have any other 8,1 owners had any luck with the external monitor?

I've tried a mini-display to vga connector on both unity and classic gnome and haven't had any luck.

When I plug the connector into my monitor, the screen on the laptop goes black (but I can see the mouse cursor/move it and see the cursor change when it hovers over inputs.. so its like all of the windows render black..?)

I then have to d/c the monitor, switch to a console session and kill gnome-session .. (which causes x/gdm to restart and then things work again)

all the stuff in the forums/wiki with people saying it worked out of the box have been with 8,2 or 8,3 owners, so I'm thinking that this is possibly graphics related?

I'm not on my ubuntu install atm, but I recall there being some output in dmesg, I can come back and paste that when I get a chance if it would help.

thanks

nix1
March 10th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Hello everybody,
is it possible to dowload (or post here) sources of the kernel modules?, I don't use natty but opensuse, I would like to compile the modules for my kernel.
Thanks

danix84
March 10th, 2011, 08:38 PM
I installed as per these instructions and, after reboot, my keyboard/trackpad stopped working (only the power button functions).

I'm running an up-to-date (I did apt-get update & upgrade immediately before installing the above packages.. I already had dkms and linux-headers-generic installed) natty alpha install (installed from the alpha 3 ISO).

entry-level macbook pro 8,1 ... I haven't yet tried removing these modules (I have a wireless usb kb/mouse I can use), just wanted to get some feedback first.

I got the same problem..I solved removing the 3 packages.

how make it works?

gforster
March 10th, 2011, 09:07 PM

Enjoy!

Installed as per instructions and the keyboard/trackpad no longer work.

andybotting
March 10th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Hello everybody,
is it possible to dowload (or post here) sources of the kernel modules?, I don't use natty but opensuse, I would like to compile the modules for my kernel.
Thanks

I've uploaded the two patches to http://www.andybotting.com/~andy/macbookpro8/

These are against 2.6.38-rc8, but I think it should be easy enough to make it work with older kernels without too much trouble.

pelle.k
March 11th, 2011, 12:31 AM
Hi,

with respect to display backlight, it looks like it's the same device as on older models. however we need to figure out the exact range it supports (same procedure as every time), which works like this:

Boot into Mac OS X.
Run the following command to get the interface's version:

sudo ioreg -l -p IOPower | grep -i gmux
Add the kernel options `agclog=10000 agcdebug=4294967295' to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist. This enables a lot of very noisy kernel log messages. The final configuration file should look like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>agclog=10000 agcdebug=4294967295</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Reboot Mac OS X.
Change display backlight a bit, in particular set it to minimum (off) and finally maximum.
Attach the file /var/log/kernel.log (from Mac OS X).
Remove the added kernel options and reboot.

thanks & ciao,
Mario

sudo ioreg -l -p IOPower | grep -i gmux Gives no output. I might as well send you the full output of IOPower and you can grep all you want :)

agclog=10000 agcdebug=4294967295 does nothing of interest to my kernel log, it doesn't output anything from adjusting the backlight anyway. I copied your example verbatim, and repaired the disk permissions after modifying the file (just to be sure) and rebooted as per your instructions. Still, backlight control still works rather nicely using the screen brightness gui slider (power settings) in kubuntu natty at least.

axflash
March 11th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Update on my experience...

Installed the debs posted by Andy. No keyboard/mouse on reboot. Looks like mkinitramfs is not picking up the modules in updates/, it uses the previously installed ones. Doing a dumb overwrite fixed that problem. bcm5974 incorrectly prints that it matches the previous one. Deleted bcm5974.ko and did another build, copied it in manually.

So that takes care of keyboard and mouse. Installed the multitouch xorg driver from http://bitmath.org/git/multitouch.git and then proper two/three finger gestures work fine too.

Next was the excessive power consumption. This is, as stipulated, due to the ati card not being power mananged. In you do a:

$ find /sys -name power_profile

and write 'low' to that, then power consumption drops to expected levels. I get around 14W normal idle with half-way dimmed display.

Next is to get the wifi working, that's basically the only thing left before it's truly useful to me. I don't want to use ndiswrapper. First thing to try is just adding the 0x4331 id to the brcm80211 staging driver that works on previous macbooks with broadcom wifi. If not, then mail the broadcom maintainer of that driver.

kosumi68
March 11th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Update on my experience...

Installed the debs posted by Andy. No keyboard/mouse on reboot. Looks like mkinitramfs is not picking up the modules in updates/, it uses the previously installed ones. Doing a dumb overwrite fixed that problem. bcm5974 incorrectly prints that it matches the previous one. Deleted bcm5974.ko and did another build, copied it in manually.

Yes, this is a bug in the current 2.6.38 kernel, great that you found a workaround. The bug and fix has been submitted upstream, so in a couple of days, the original instructions should work as intended.

Cheers!

kosumi68
March 11th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Hello everybody,
Thanks

The sources are actually in the debian packages, and installed to /usr/src when the package is installed.

pelle.k
March 11th, 2011, 03:52 PM
btw folks, in case anyone wonders, wired networking works perfectly out of the box in natty. if you've got a wirelessly connected desktop computer running maverick nearby, sharing the internet connection using a wired connection (mbp<->pc) works wonderfully using network manager on the pc linux box.

andybotting
March 11th, 2011, 10:13 PM
The current radeon card doesn't seem to have any hardware acceleration with the open source drivers, so I'm interested to try and use the Intel graphics instead.

I'm assuming that we need to boot in EFI mode to make the device available, but I haven't been able to make it happen yet.

Has anyone else had a look at this yet?

axflash
March 12th, 2011, 08:35 AM
The current radeon card doesn't seem to have any hardware acceleration with the open source drivers, so I'm interested to try and use the Intel graphics instead.

I'm assuming that we need to boot in EFI mode to make the device available, but I haven't been able to make it happen yet.

Has anyone else had a look at this yet?

It seems plenty fast here. Are you referring to 3D? The state of KMS+Xorg for radeon is listed her:

http://wiki.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature

Northern Islands is the chip on the 15" at least, the 6450M and 6750M depending on model.

axflash
March 12th, 2011, 08:37 AM

Oh, and on EFI, I spent some time fiddling with it on the previous Macbook Pro I had without much luck. I ended up giving up and just patching the kernel to allow ahci even if it was booted in legacy mode, since that was my primary reason for wanting to get EFI boot working.

itsmrjon
March 12th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Is anyone else having issues with the wireless disconnecting and not being able to connect?

I'm running a MBP 8,3 (17" new model) and I followed the directions in this thread as well as the wiki to get wireless up and running
(more details here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1704725)

However after about 5 minutes of being perfect, the wireless stops working. The status bar notification says I'm still connected to the wireless network, and iwconfig also says I'm still connected, but there is definitely no internet connection. If I try to ping another computer on the network, the result always times out

any clue as to what may be causing this? or a potential fix?

For got to mention, the wired also has a similar problem. However it doesn't completely stop working, rather it drops down my connection to 5Mbps for no apparent reason

arnorx
March 13th, 2011, 05:35 PM
I got an issue about fan. I read here how to configure fan:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro8-1/Natty

any way I donīt found macfanctld even I add the repository:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mactel-support/ppa

any ideas where I can found macfanctld packaged for natty 11.4?

regards lo

aftershxck
March 13th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks to the drivers on page 2 for the broadcom 4331 and the instructions on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro8-1/Natty/ I was able to finally get wireless working on my 2011 13inch Macbook pro, yay! :D

edit: This is using maverick... I may update the wireless subsection of the wiki above to confirm the instructions also work for those not going straight to natty.

huwshimi
March 13th, 2011, 11:38 PM
any way I donīt found macfanctld even I add the repository:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mactel-support/ppa

The PPA does not have packages for Natty yet. You can edit the repository details and change 'natty' to 'maverick' and use those packages instead, but I'm not sure if they will work as expected with a new MacBook Pro.

binary10
March 14th, 2011, 12:49 AM
Failed a fresh nightly build of Natty (12-mar) and couldn't install on my Macbook 8,2 ubi-partman 141 message.

Anyone else tried a fresh install recently of Natty ?

1) Boot OSX - Burn natty nightly build
2) Install rEFIt
3) Had a Bootcamp 200GB partition don't start install
4) reboot
5) Run rEFIt Partition to sync disk
6) reboot
7) Boot from CD
8) Choose to try ubuntu Natty
9) Everything looks fine, Wired works (wireless not, trackpad not fully)
10) Click on install, the Mac HD icon flashes a couple of times and then see the message about 'ubi-partman has failed error 141'

Anyone else had the partman error recently ?:(

poppop
March 14th, 2011, 08:25 AM
About he wireless I tried to use it with the ndiswrapper trick given in the wiki. Unfortunately I experienced each time a random freeze of the system. I guess it happens because I use the WPA authentication method.

Does anyone else notice the problem ?

arnorx
March 14th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Failed a fresh nightly build of Natty (12-mar) and couldn't install on my Macbook 8,2 ubi-partman 141 message.

Anyone else tried a fresh install recently of Natty ?

1) Boot OSX - Burn natty nightly build
2) Install rEFIt
3) Had a Bootcamp 200GB partition don't start install
4) reboot
5) Run rEFIt Partition to sync disk
6) reboot
7) Boot from CD
8) Choose to try ubuntu Natty
9) Everything looks fine, Wired works (wireless not, trackpad not fully)
10) Click on install, the Mac HD icon flashes a couple of times and then see the message about 'ubi-partman has failed error 141'

Anyone else had the partman error recently ?:(

I try the same thing. No way, rollback to alpha 3.

arnorx
March 14th, 2011, 11:27 AM
About he wireless I tried to use it with the ndiswrapper trick given in the wiki. Unfortunately I experienced each time a random freeze of the system. I guess it happens because I use the WPA authentication method.

Does anyone else notice the problem ?

I got the same problem. The radeon sometime is not recognized. At the moment the ubuntu box doesn't start even in safe mode :/

I will try a fresh install again this evening...

Amaranth
March 15th, 2011, 07:19 AM
So with the new packages for the keyboard and mouse I think the only things we're missing now are bluetooth, wifi, and thunderbolt.

Note: I've left the wifi instructions on the wiki as they seem to work for some people but personally I get a hard freeze when loading the module unless I wait until sometime (at least 20 minutes) after boot and even then it doesn't actually connect to anything. This used to work (at least once) as I was the one that provided the driver but apparently there have been some kernel changes since.

If you get a freeze while loading the module you'll also get a freeze on boot so you'll have to edit your grub boot line to change 'ro' to 'rw' and add 'init=/bin/bash' (no quotes on either) so you can boot to a shell, run `ndiswrapper -r bcmwl5 && sync` then hold the power button to shut down.

b16a2smith
March 15th, 2011, 07:28 AM
So with the new packages for the keyboard and mouse I think the only things we're missing now are bluetooth, wifi, and thunderbolt.

Note: I've left the wifi instructions on the wiki as they seem to work for some people but personally I get a hard freeze when loading the module unless I wait until sometime (at least 20 minutes) after boot and even then it doesn't actually connect to anything. This used to work (at least once) as I was the one that provided the driver but apparently there have been some kernel changes since.

If you get a freeze while loading the module you'll also get a freeze on boot so you'll have to edit your grub boot line to change 'ro' to 'rw' and add 'init=/bin/bash' (no quotes on either) so you can boot to a shell, run `ndiswrapper -r bcmwl5 && sync` then hold the power button to shut down.

Where are the packages? Are they in ubuntu repo or do we have to back port?

Amaranth
March 15th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Ok, scratch that, it looks like bluetooth works too, it just needs the id (05ac:821a) added to the driver. Here is a quick package that does this. It doesn't seem to want to install the kernel module after installing the package but I just did `sudo dkms uninstall -m btusb -v 1.0.6 && sudo dkms install -m btusb -v 1.0.6 --force` after installing the package to force it to install the module.

b16a2smith
March 15th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Ok, scratch that, it looks like bluetooth works too, it just needs the id (05ac:821a) added to the driver. Here is a quick package that does this. It doesn't seem to want to install the kernel module after installing the package but I just did `sudo dkms uninstall -m btusb -v 1.0.6 && sudo dkms install -m btusb -v 1.0.6 --force` after installing the package to force it to install the module.

Did you get right clicking working? I have been watching the wiki and haven't seen anything.

Amaranth
March 15th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Where are the packages? Are they in ubuntu repo or do we have to back port?
They're in this thread somewhere, I think page 6.

poppop
March 15th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Just a question about graphics. I'm running kubuntu on the mpb 13" and I experienced a lot of graphical bug especially on windows border and on some scrolling bar and drop down lists. Do you have the same problem ?

galgalex
March 15th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Hi,

can someone please provide some more hardware details, i.e., by attaching the output of the following commands:

lspci -vnn > lspci.txt 2>&1
sudo lsusb -v > lsusb.txt 2>&1
sudo acpidump > acpidump.bin
The files should be named: lspci.txt, lsusb.txt, and acpidump.bin. The latter command needs the additional package acpidump.

Please don't forget to mention your exact machine. If in doubt, run:

sudo dmidecode --string system-product-namethanks & ciao,
Mario

Hi Mario,

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Alex

galgalex
March 15th, 2011, 09:37 AM

Hi,

I've done the same --force trick to all the dkms modules in dkms-packages-natty-for-testing.tar.gz and I do have the keyboard and mouse working now.

Alex

kosumi68
March 15th, 2011, 01:24 PM
The hid, hid-apple and bcm5974 dkms packages for natty are now available in the mactel ppa. Also, the fixed 2.6.38 has been released, so within a day or so, there should be no problems with dkms installs (i.e., no need to use --force anymore).

Enjoy!

pelle.k
March 15th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Just a question about graphics. I'm running kubuntu on the mpb 13" and I experienced a lot of graphical bug especially on windows border and on some scrolling bar and drop down lists. Do you have the same problem ?
I have that "problem" as well. I'ts probably kwin specific. Tried turning off blur and transparency, but that wasn't it unfortunately.

_mario_
March 15th, 2011, 06:42 PM
sudo ioreg -l -p IOPower | grep -i gmux Gives no output. I might as well send you the full output of IOPower and you can grep all you want :)

this command isn't that important, since i already found the device in the ACPI tables.

agclog=10000 agcdebug=4294967295 does nothing of interest to my kernel log, it doesn't output anything from adjusting the backlight anyway. I copied your example verbatim, and repaired the disk permissions after modifying the file (just to be sure) and rebooted as per your instructions.

that's very interesting.

Still, backlight control still works rather nicely using the screen brightness gui slider (power settings) in kubuntu natty at least.

so, you can confirm that backlight adjustment does work on Linux? that's also very interesting. do you know which driver is responsible for this? and what does

ls -l /sys/class/backlight/
output?

thanks & ciao,
Mario

Amaranth
March 15th, 2011, 06:57 PM
As far as graphics mesa 7.10.1 seems to be very buggy with sandy bridge, even fullscreen flash crashes it for me. I enabled the xorg-edgers ppa to get 7.11 git snapshots and all of my issues went away.

Espen11
March 15th, 2011, 07:43 PM
As far as graphics mesa 7.10.1 seems to be very buggy with sandy bridge, even fullscreen flash crashes it for me. I enabled the xorg-edgers ppa to get 7.11 git snapshots and all of my issues went away.
How hot is it getting? 7.1 (nvidia) is too hot for my liking.

gforster
March 15th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I've been very busy with getting actual work done for the last week and am quite impressed concerning all of the progress that has been made during this time. You guys are awesome!

I have my bluetooth apple aluminum keyboard and mighty mouse working with no configuration. Not sure how other bluetooth devices might work. Maybe I'll try getting my phone connected later.

The mactel PPA is working nicely for the keyboard & trackpad (dkms).

b16a2smith
March 15th, 2011, 10:22 PM
I've been very busy with getting actual work done for the last week and am quite impressed concerning all of the progress that has been made during this time. You guys are awesome!

I have my bluetooth apple aluminum keyboard and mighty mouse working with no configuration. Not sure how other bluetooth devices might work. Maybe I'll try getting my phone connected later.

The mactel PPA is working nicely for the keyboard & trackpad (dkms).

What do you mean working? Ex: Right clicking, Fn keys, Scrolling, Backlight?

Amaranth
March 16th, 2011, 12:18 AM
How hot is it getting? 7.1 (nvidia) is too hot for my liking.
I've got the intel only graphics but while maxing out both cores and the GPU (one core doing a busy loop, the other running the game) the only part that is uncomfortably warm is the edge of the vent, the rest warms up a bit but not enough to be a concern. That was with OS X though, I actually haven't tested since. I ran that test in the store before I bought it.

Espen11
March 16th, 2011, 02:31 AM
I've got the intel only graphics but while maxing out both cores and the GPU (one core doing a busy loop, the other running the game) the only part that is uncomfortably warm is the edge of the vent, the rest warms up a bit but not enough to be a concern. That was with OS X though, I actually haven't tested since. I ran that test in the store before I bought it.
Ahh.. yes, but i was thinking about when running Ubuntu. The MBP 7.1 13" i have now gets very hot just by normal desktop use with compiz. I think it's because of the nvidia chip. But with 8.1 13" this should be equal to OSX (because no extra GPU chip), and therefor also equal battery life.

Hopefully, that's what i'm asking about. ;)

nzjrs
March 16th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Hey, a few questions for the 15/17" owners, regarding the hybrid/switchable GPU;

* Does the hybrid/switchable graphics work at all, i.e can you at least disable the ATI card and force the intel?
* Which GPU does the macbook boot into by default (intel/ATI)

See here for more info -
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HybridGraphics

axflash
March 16th, 2011, 09:12 AM
so, you can confirm that backlight adjustment does work on Linux? that's also very interesting. do you know which driver is responsible for this? and what does

ls -l /sys/class/backlight/output?

thanks & ciao,
Mario

Backlight adjustment works fine, out of the box. There's a virtual acpi driver for this:

$: /sys/devices/virtual/backlight/acpi_video0$ grep . *
actual_brightness:15
bl_power:0
brightness:15
max_brightness:16

gforster
March 16th, 2011, 09:42 PM
What do you mean working? Ex: Right clicking, Fn keys, Scrolling, Backlight?

Sorry for being unclear. When I originally installed the dkms packages, I lost all functionality of the keyboard and trackpad. I gained original functionality back (temporarily).

Fn keys (brightness, contrast, volume) work. I haven't checked play/pause, fast forward, rewind. Expose/Dashboard do nothing, but the keycodes are recognized in xev. I updated this afternoon and lost trackpad functionality altogether. I'm not sure what happened.

I have the bluetooth mighty mouse and aluminum keyboard which are working with no configuration (under System > Preferences> Bluetooth it tells me that my system has no bluetooth adapters plugged in. The scroll ball does not work on the mouse and the Fn keys do not work on the aluminum keyboard.

The backlight is not working for me either.

poppop
March 16th, 2011, 10:33 PM
How do your keyboard/mouse work if the bluetooth is not dectected ?

gforster
March 17th, 2011, 12:04 AM
How do your keyboard/mouse work if the bluetooth is not dectected ?

I am not totally sure. I am triple-booting OS X, Win7, and Ubuntu. They were paired under OS X and not under the other ones, but work in all.

hjbp
March 18th, 2011, 07:02 AM

Sorry about the double compression but I needed to use 7z to get it small enough to attach and gz to get a file format the forum would allow. file-roller should open it without problems although you may need to install the p7zip package first.

Hi, I just got a new MacBook pro 8,1 and I installed debian sid on this machine.(Sorry, I'm not using Ubuntu, but I think my experience might be helpful for Ubuntu users.) Now I can use linux kernel 2.6.38, compiled following this webpage http://wiki.debian.org/HowToRebuildAnOfficialDebianKernelPackage Also I'm using the latest ndiswrapper in sid(1.56 r2729). After installing the windows driver, I can use ndiswrapper for my wireless driver. So far, it works well.

mordotz
March 18th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Hey guys, I followed the instructions on the wiki for the wireless internet. The wifi shows up in my network menu but when I select my internet and password(WPA2), it never connects. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Router: Linksys E1000
Macbook Pro 8,2

gforster
March 18th, 2011, 02:51 PM
As of today's update, the trackpad works with the following features

two finger scrolling - horizontal and vertical
right-click

still no backlight on the keyboard, and the Fn keys for brightness and contrast respond and display that they are working, but don't actually do anything. The other volume and music control keys do work fine.

now scrolling works fine on my trackpad but not the might mouse!

poppop
March 18th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Yesterday I tried to output a value different of 0 in a file located in /sys/class/backlight/ and it has enabled the keyboard backlight.
The only problem is there is no light control according to the light detector.

frandieguez
March 18th, 2011, 10:24 PM
I don't know what is your backlight keys issue but I have installed the packages available in mactel ppa and with all the updates in natty repository and my MacBook Pro 8,2 backlight control keys and almost the fn keys are working properly. Those that aren't working are stop/play/next/prev.

I have another problem that I can't identify when happens, but I think that when my computer suspends and after waking up again the screen has a minimal flickering that after a couple of minutes goes away...

I have not tested the Thunderbold port but seems that for me all is working properly but wireless without using ndiswrapper and the ATI privative drivers.

Great job guys!

nzjrs
March 19th, 2011, 04:26 AM
Yesterday I tried to output a value different of 0 in a file located in /sys/class/backlight/ and it has enabled the keyboard backlight.
The only problem is there is no light control according to the light detector.

More info please

poppop
March 19th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Exact command to enable keyboard light :
echo 50 | sudo tee -a /sys/class/leds/smc::kbd_backlight/brightness

thijz
March 19th, 2011, 10:42 PM
@mario

output of your request in att (13inch 8,1)

grtz
Thijs

b16a2smith
March 20th, 2011, 01:13 AM
@mario

output of your request in att (13inch 8,1)

grtz
Thijs

Whats this for?

b16a2smith
March 20th, 2011, 08:56 AM
So is it just me or are people going off on tangents? I keep checking the wiki, and peope keep saying they got stuff working, but stuff dont work? What gives, I am confused.

nzjrs
March 20th, 2011, 09:27 AM
So is it just me or are people going off on tangents? I keep checking the wiki, and peope keep saying they got stuff working, but stuff dont work? What gives, I am confused.

Calm with the questions I think. Lets just be patient.

b16a2smith
March 20th, 2011, 11:11 AM
All I care about is how they got mouse working and some of the keyboard working, along with my wifi cannot connect to the network but sees it, I am just missing my ubuntu.

dmb
March 20th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Hi, this is a long thread, is it possible someone can summarize? In particular, I am wondering if the NATIVE bcm driver works. In the wiki, I would not label wireless as working if it required NDISWrapper. How is sound support, any fixes?

frandieguez
March 20th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Hi, this is a long thread, is it possible someone can summarize? In particular, I am wondering if the NATIVE bcm driver works. In the wiki, I would not label wireless as working if it required NDISWrapper. How is sound support, any fixes?

Ok, here is a quick review.

Take in consideration that:

you MUST install Ubuntu Natty.
you MUST all the packages available from mactel ppa (https://launchpad.net/~mactel-support/+archive/ppa?field.series_filter=natty (https://launchpad.net/%7Emactel-support/+archive/ppa?field.series_filter=natty))
you MUST the bluetooth "driver" posted in this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10561399&postcount=102)

so there we go:

WORKING
Bluetooth
Touchpad working (scroll and right click)
Sound, with mic (in my MBP 8,2)
Wired network card
Sensors
CD/DVD
Webcam
External monitor via minidisplay port to vga connector
CardReader tested with several SD card
Suspend, Reboot

MOSTLY WORKING

Wifi via ndiswrapper and only in 64 bits system, Broadcom drivers not available for linux
3D via Intel discrete graphics card
Keyboard fn keys: all works but screen brightness and playback controls

NOT WORKING
AMD graphics card, not available drivers for linux

axflash
March 20th, 2011, 07:39 PM
NOT WORKING
AMD graphics card, not available drivers for linux

ATI graphics works fine out-of-the-box with natty, at least on an 8,2. Both KMS and the radeon Xorg driver, no issues here at all.

You do have to run it in "low" power mode to get acceptable power numbers out of it, otherwise the laptop ends up using 30-35W at idle. The down side to the low power mode is that smooth scrolling in the browser is pretty choppy unfortunately. Works fine in the other power modes, but even "dynpm" or "mid" use 28-30W here (so no go, essentially).

Booting in EFI mode, I've had not too much luck with either the Intel IGD or the ATI chip. The Intel chip produces a garbled picture, and the ATI requires a fw hack to get going at all since the ROM image isn't valid when not legacy booted.

Long term, I would really love to get the Intel graphics working from EFI mode. That'll cut a few watts off the power consumption.

axflash
March 20th, 2011, 07:42 PM
WORKING
Touchpad working (scroll and right click)

Touchpad is fully functional as well, just install the multitouch driver from:

http://bitmath.org/git/multitouch.git

once the bcm5974 module is updated. That'll give you full 2-3 finger swipe and scroll. This was required post-install as well for the older macbooks to get proper multitouch support.

frandieguez
March 20th, 2011, 07:51 PM
ATI graphics works fine out-of-the-box with natty, at least on an 8,2. Both KMS and the radeon Xorg driver, no issues here at all.

Long term, I would really love to get the Intel graphics working from EFI mode. That'll cut a few watts off the power consumption.

Yep, thanks for the clarification. I would really love to get Intel graphics working properly too. Cause my use of this computer is mostly for programming and compiling, so at least for me is not important to have a superfast graphics card but have a computer that has a good battery performance.

frandieguez
March 20th, 2011, 07:54 PM

once the bcm5974 module is updated. That'll give you full 2-3 finger swipe and scroll. This was required post-install as well for the older macbooks to get proper multitouch support.

Great, interesting note. I didn't know this driver works in this computer. So, really good news.

Espen11
March 20th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Guys, really great work! But can't you put all this information on the wiki?

gforster
March 20th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Guys, really great work! But can't you put all this information on the wiki?

I am updating it when I can with information that I have tested and know works on my machine. It would be helpful if more people were adding to it. I know there are a few things that I have missed. I think it is a good idea to hash some things out on this thread first before adding it to the wiki so that we can make sure the wiki has the best information.

Of course, you or anyone else can always comb through this thread for info that is not in the wiki and edit it yourself. Again, it really would be helpful if more people were doing it and the great thing is that anyone can help.

axflash
March 20th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Yep, thanks for the clarification. I would really love to get Intel graphics working properly too. Cause my use of this computer is mostly for programming and compiling, so at least for me is not important to have a superfast graphics card but have a computer that has a good battery performance.

Same here, personally I don't care about 3D at all. It looks like the Intel graphics is "almost" working, so I'm hopeful that we'll get there soon enough. Apart from that, EFI boot is working well for me and has the added bonus of allowing ahci access instead of piix for the hard drive (both good for power management of the link, and it performs better).

frandieguez
March 20th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Same here, personally I don't care about 3D at all. It looks like the Intel graphics is "almost" working, so I'm hopeful that we'll get there soon enough. Apart from that, EFI boot is working well for me and has the added bonus of allowing ahci access instead of piix for the hard drive (both good for power management of the link, and it performs better).

Could you post some instructions to get what you do to get EFI boot?
I would like to test it and "enjoy the experience" too.

b16a2smith
March 21st, 2011, 01:26 AM

Why am I getting a 403 error? I would like to has this. :P

dmb
March 21st, 2011, 03:51 AM
Is it possible to switch from ATI Card to Intel card on demand?

axflash
March 21st, 2011, 08:26 AM
Could you post some instructions to get what you do to get EFI boot?
I would like to test it and "enjoy the experience" too.

I mostly followed this guide: http://grub.enbug.org/TestingOnMacbook#preview

Once the Intel graphics works, I'll try and write a step-by-step guide for what I did.

axflash
March 21st, 2011, 08:29 AM

Only when EFI booted. If booted in legacy mode, then only the ATI card is present. If EFI mode, you see both graphics cards and can power them up and down individually.

I did some quick power management numbers in OSX yesterday and they match what I see with the ATI vs Intel in low power modes on Linux - for an otherwise mostly idle machine, using the Intel IGD gets you ~25% extra battery life compared to the ATI in the lowest power mode. So it would definitely be nice to get this going.

As it stands, I only get about ~4 hours in Linux. So there's still a good chunk of battery life to be reaped.

hanzomon4
March 21st, 2011, 09:30 AM
Been following this since I got my new baby and I must say you folks are pretty amazing.

nzjrs
March 21st, 2011, 10:03 AM

Not on demand, no. vga_switcheroo (the kernel bit that does the switching) supports switching via log out / log on, and powering off the unused GPU.

Of course this is 'in theory'. vga_switcheroo works well for some GPU card combinations (i.e. my current dell laptop) but poorly for others.

I asked earlier in the thread if one can switch cards on the intel/ati combinations on these macbooks, and if the card not in use can be disabled. No answer yet.

p.s. The dynamic switching situation is slowly being improved. If you want to learn more google for "prime" and Dave Airlie. Support Red Hat too, they are doing the development on this.

axflash
March 21st, 2011, 11:00 AM
I asked earlier in the thread if one can switch cards on the intel/ati combinations on these macbooks, and if the card not in use can be disabled. No answer yet.

You can, I have switched back and forth manually by writing to the gmux ports. But you do need EFI boot for the Intel card to be visible at all, and there are issues with both graphics chips in EFI boot (ATI comes up with corrupt ROM, and the Intel chip has garbled output).

So it's definitely not perfect yet :-)

supervalino
March 21st, 2011, 01:55 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1334696

boowebb
March 21st, 2011, 04:00 PM
I have updated the wireless portion of the wiki given that it seems only to work with 64-bit and that this is a short-term solution through ndiswrapper. It is marked as "partially working" on the page.

I am working through the keyboard / trackpad issues this morning after being gone for a week. Hope to verify gforster's instructions - thank you.

Sound is still only partial - only from the right speaker. Is anyone else having this issue?

Amaranth
March 21st, 2011, 04:29 PM
Apparently I'm the only one who gets a kernel hang when trying to load the ndiswrapper module, amusing because I'm the one that found the driver and got it working first. :(

As far as sound mine sounds great, getting the full 2.1 sound or whatever (assuming this model still has an extra speaker for bass).

boowebb
March 21st, 2011, 04:41 PM
actually I get hangs using ndiswrapper too - presumably b/c I wrote up the instructions :-). I only turn it on when I really need to but it's flaky in the way you previously described.

sound through headphones is fine - limited to right side on mine (8,3).

keyboard and trackpad are not working for me with the PPA dkms modules. I have uninstalled them and at least I seem to be working with keyboard + mouse functionality. other than having to use f12 for right-click at least it's functional enough to get some work done so I'm going to focus on that for today hack around later tonight with getting those dkms modules properly loaded.

axflash
March 21st, 2011, 08:03 PM
Apparently I'm the only one who gets a kernel hang when trying to load the ndiswrapper module, amusing because I'm the one that found the driver and got it working first. :(

As far as sound mine sounds great, getting the full 2.1 sound or whatever (assuming this model still has an extra speaker for bass).

I briefly tried ndiswrapper until my small wifi usb dongle arrived, hung for me too. Ended up using one of these:

http://hothardware.com/newsimages/Item15142/trendnet-usb-adapter-wifi.jpg
until the brcm80211 driver in the mainline kernel gets support for the 4331 broadcom chip.

DarthScape
March 21st, 2011, 08:14 PM
I've been having problems with Wireless and Ethernet in the Mac OS itself, I wonder how many problems I'll have in Ubuntu then...

metatechbe
March 21st, 2011, 09:41 PM
Booting in EFI mode, I've had not too much luck with either the Intel IGD or the ATI chip. The Intel chip produces a garbled picture, and the ATI requires a fw hack to get going at all since the ROM image isn't valid when not legacy booted.

Please try the patch "Implement manual override of LVDS single/dual channel mode" patch described here :
http://grub.enbug.org/TestingOnMacbook

Thanks.
metatech

huwshimi
March 22nd, 2011, 07:09 AM

Nope, not the only one. I gave up and bought a network cable.

galgalex
March 22nd, 2011, 08:36 AM

Same here, on 8,1 (64bit). ndiswarpper either hangs when started or some time later. Totally unusable.

Btw, bluetooth works very well for me, why is it marked as not working in the wiki?

nzjrs
March 22nd, 2011, 10:45 AM
I briefly tried ndiswrapper until my small wifi usb dongle arrived, hung for me too. Ended up using one of these:

http://hothardware.com/newsimages/Item15142/trendnet-usb-adapter-wifi.jpg
until the brcm80211 driver in the mainline kernel gets support for the 4331 broadcom chip.

The google advised me that the TEW-648UBM (pictured AFAICT) didn't work in Maverick. Does it work in Natty now?

andreiudinca
March 22nd, 2011, 05:01 PM
Hello,

I have a new macbook pro 8.3(17")
I am trying to install Natty on it through bootcamp, but I get this error message:

ubi-language failed with exit code 141. Further information may be found in
/var/log/syslog. Do you want to try running this step again before continuing?
If you do not, your installation may fail entirely or may be broken.

If I press try again, it gives me the same error if I press continue it just freezes, and if I press quit it brings me to a login page where the only user is other...

Is it a problem with the disk image that I have?

EDIT: I just saw that if I press continue it does not freez, but it goes directly to the live desktop, without skting me if I want to install or try ubuntu. The only problem when in this mode is that I can see only 0.5mm out of the menu bar. So I cannot access any of the menus

Baughn
March 22nd, 2011, 11:50 PM
Earlier today, I installed ubuntu on my 17" MBP. Pretty much everything worked out of the box, except the terrible windowing environment (but that's a rant for later); sound, mouse, etc.

Well, the touchpad didn't give me scroll or any kind of multitouch, but otherwise it worked. So I thought I'd fix that, install the mactel packages linked on the wiki.. yeah, not a good idea; the touchpad promptly stopped working entirely.

Anyone else seen this? Fixed it, perhaps?

gforster
March 23rd, 2011, 01:53 AM
Well, the touchpad didn't give me scroll or any kind of multitouch, but otherwise it worked. So I thought I'd fix that, install the mactel packages linked on the wiki.. yeah, not a good idea; the touchpad promptly stopped working entirely.

Anyone else seen this? Fixed it, perhaps?

I initially had the same problem, but updating the system made everything work. As far as the windowing environment, you can choose "Ubuntu Classic Desktop" at the login screen after you select your username and before you enter your password. It is down at the bottom of the screen as if they are trying to hide it from you! This gives you the normal gnome desktop and is much less buggy.

boowebb
March 23rd, 2011, 02:14 AM
I have also not had good luck with installing the mactel packages - I ended up uninstalling them after everything froze up on me. The only annoying part is having to use F12 for right-click but at least I can work :-). gorster - did you install the packages (hid, hid-apple, bcm) and then get your system up-to-date?

gforster
March 23rd, 2011, 02:17 AM
I have also not had good luck with installing the mactel packages - I ended up uninstalling them after everything froze up on me. The only annoying part is having to use F12 for right-click but at least I can work :-). gorster - did you install the packages (hid, hid-apple, bcm) and then get your system up-to-date?

I updated beforehand, it didn't work. The next day I updated and it worked. This was about a week ago. No problems since. You do have to check everything off properly in System > Preferences > Mouse > Touchpad

axflash
March 23rd, 2011, 08:17 AM
The google advised me that the TEW-648UBM (pictured AFAICT) didn't work in Maverick. Does it work in Natty now?

The driver for that one was merged post 2.6.38, so it will be in 2.6.39-rc1 and on. So it wont work in natty out of the box, but at least there's an open driver (and not in just staging) that can be backported easily for natty.

Should have mentioned that, sorry. It's the smallest one I could find, so it can remain in the laptop even while traveling etc. It seems to work reasonably well. Fast discovery and connect to the network. It's not very fast though, I only get 1-2Mb/s throughput.

ajlckwd
March 23rd, 2011, 01:45 PM
Hi guys,

Regarding the touchpad: so I installed the mactel packages and rebooted to get the multi-touch to work, which it now does. However, it does not exactly emulate the Mac OS X behavior. For example, it doesn't recognize when I rest my thumb on the pad while moving the cursor with my index finger. In Mac OS X, it disregards thumb input completely; in Natty, it doesn't. Is there a fix for this or do the mactel packages only support the basic multi-touch behavior?

Thanks so much to everyone who has contributed their time and effort, I really appreciate it!

gforster
March 23rd, 2011, 02:05 PM
Hi guys,

Regarding the touchpad: so I installed the mactel packages and rebooted to get the multi-touch to work, which it now does. However, it does not exactly emulate the Mac OS X behavior. For example, it doesn't recognize when I rest my thumb on the pad while moving the cursor with my index finger. In Mac OS X, it disregards thumb input completely; in Natty, it doesn't. Is there a fix for this or do the mactel packages only support the basic multi-touch behavior?

Thanks so much to everyone who has contributed their time and effort, I really appreciate it!

The mactel packages do only support basic multitouch. The rest of it can be made to work via the git packages from bitmath.org

To be honest, that route has not seemed very stable for me. Tracking speed and a few other things are quirky. Personally, I reverted to the plain packages from the mactel ppa for now. No, the multitouch is not as robust, but it does what I need (for now)

fsjack
March 23rd, 2011, 02:27 PM
I have read all the posts but still have no clue how to get the wifi work.I'm using Ubuntu Natty Intel version.I have installed the wifi driver with ndiswrapperon on page 2 but it doesn't work.
Is all you guys install AMD64 version of Ubuntu?

boowebb
March 23rd, 2011, 03:44 PM
I have read all the posts but still have no clue how to get the wifi work.I'm using Ubuntu Natty Intel version.I have installed the wifi driver with ndiswrapperon on page 2 but it doesn't work.
Is all you guys install AMD64 version of Ubuntu?
wireless is working only on AMD64 based on what I've seen on the threads (that's what I'm running) but it also seems that although many of us have gotten it working through ndiswrapper that the solution is not terribly functional. The module loading process using ndiswrapper causes unrecoverable hangs a good percentage of the time. Most of us have reverted to a hard connection or some type of USB wireless for the time being.

fsjack
March 23rd, 2011, 03:52 PM
wireless is working only on AMD64 based on what I've seen on the threads (that's what I'm running) but it also seems that although many of us have gotten it working through ndiswrapper that the solution is not terribly functional. The module loading process using ndiswrapper causes unrecoverable hangs a good percentage of the time. Most of us have reverted to a hard connection or some type of USB wireless for the time being.

I have stop looking for the wifi driver and use the USB wifi instead.Work pretty good so far.Seem Ubuntu can support all kind of wifi device except for the one of new MBP,so shame.:(

thijz
March 24th, 2011, 09:51 AM
is there a launchpad bugreport for the wifi issue (and/or the other issues) ?
mmm ... not even sure if you can make a report for this type of issue. after all, it's not a bug in the driver, the driver simply doesnt exist!

if there is a bugreport for it, just let us know so we can all hit the 'this bug affects me tooooo' button

grtz
Thijs

nzjrs
March 24th, 2011, 11:06 AM
is there a launchpad bugreport for the wifi issue (and/or the other issues) ?
mmm ... not even sure if you can make a report for this type of issue. after all, it's not a bug in the driver, the driver simply doesnt exist!

if there is a bugreport for it, just let us know so we can all hit the 'this bug affects me tooooo' button

grtz
Thijs

Ubuntu doesn't do kernel driver development. You should probably file this at redhat bugzilla, or post directly on the linux-wireless mailing list.

thijz
March 24th, 2011, 12:10 PM
ok got it
and has anyone done that ? (bugzilla/mailing list?)
i dont want to double post

grtz
Thijs

crys
March 24th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Yes:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/66377

glikely
March 24th, 2011, 05:15 PM

Patch for the bluetooth driver has been submitted upstream:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/3/21/187

g.

nix1
March 24th, 2011, 07:17 PM
For those with the watermark problem with ati proprietary drivers look here:
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/hardware/453923-linux-driver-support-ati-hd-6850-a.html
it is not a solution but in the mean time....

thijz
March 25th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Patch for the bluetooth driver has been submitted upstream:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/3/21/187

g.

it seems that this patch is specific for 8,2
shouldn't 8,1 and 8,3 be added too ?

gforster
March 25th, 2011, 05:07 PM
xf86-input-multitouch has been added to the ppa so I updated the wiki with instructions to get multitouch working properly.

SliMM322
March 25th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Are you able to run complex 3D applications? The Intel HD 3000 I've got on my Macbook Pro 8,1 seems to be stuck in the low-power state, so nothing a little bit more complicated works nicely.

dmb
March 26th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Has anybody tried compiling and running what was here: http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php ? It lists 4331 support...

poppop
March 26th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Where did you see that the 4331 is supported by this driver ?
I checked in the readme and in the code and didn't see any reference to it.

I tried to compile the driver but it seems they use a macro not present in the header of the kernel.
I replaced it by the true function (sema_init) and manage to compile the driver. I am going to test it now.

[EDIT] : I confirmed, it does not work. I load the module and nothing happens

Baughn
March 26th, 2011, 06:34 PM
I'm curious, has anyone had any success getting gpu switching to work?

Even offline would be fine. I'm pretty sure I'd stick to the intel gpu almost all of the time if I had the option.

EDIT: Also, is there a list of options for the multitouch driver anywhere?

dmb
March 26th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Where did you see that the 4331 is supported by this driver ?
I checked in the readme and in the code and didn't see any reference to it.

I tried to compile the driver but it seems they use a macro not present in the header of the kernel.
I replaced it by the true function (sema_init) and manage to compile the driver. I am going to test it now.

[EDIT] : I confirmed, it does not work. I load the module and nothing happens
Sorry, I was reading earlier in the thread where someone said it said that on the website. However, I read here: http://investor.broadcom.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=474934 , they say they support linux?

fsjack
March 27th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Is there any possibility that we can extract the driver from Mac OS or Bootcamp and make it use in Ubuntu?Just an idea and I don't really know about Mac OS driver logic but I know it got something similar with Linux party.

dmb
March 27th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Is there any possibility that we can extract the driver from Mac OS or Bootcamp and make it use in Ubuntu?Just an idea and I don't really know about Mac OS driver logic but I know it got something similar with Linux party.

NDISWrapper is basically what you said(an extra windows driver), but I would not recommend it, it is a work around, not a solution, and will not work well(as well as being a non-free solution).

andybotting
March 28th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Has anybody had any luck with the screen backlight?

I'm sure I had it change once in Ubuntu, but I get nothing now.

boowebb
March 29th, 2011, 03:39 PM
The driver for that one was merged post 2.6.38, so it will be in 2.6.39-rc1 and on. So it wont work in natty out of the box, but at least there's an open driver (and not in just staging) that can be backported easily for natty.

Should have mentioned that, sorry. It's the smallest one I could find, so it can remain in the laptop even while traveling etc. It seems to work reasonably well. Fast discovery and connect to the network. It's not very fast though, I only get 1-2Mb/s throughput.

Do you have instructions or hints on compiling the driver? I got this little adpater and downloaded the Realtek (v 2.0.1324 from 1/26/2011) which should be the correct driver for the hardware.

I had to update some of the source files so it would compile (a mutex call and a autodiscover call). it compiled fine and I can see networks but it will not ultimately connect to a secured wireless network (WPA) - it just spins & ultimately asks me to enter the key for the network over and over.

I'm running 64-bit Natty A3 - there is little documentation on compiling the 8192cu driver and I didn't find anything on if it's available for 64-bit.

Amaranth
March 29th, 2011, 03:48 PM
I too got an 8192cu device as a replacement for getting wifi going on my laptop however the driver required porting to 2.6.38 and frequently causes kernel issues. As far as I can tell the porting I did is not the cause. Perhaps there is another driver I've not found since you mention support being added to 2.6.39 and the one on realtek's website is obviously not suitable for that (it's a chunk of common code with an OS abstraction layer).

For now I just plugged the wifi dongle in to my desktop and stole its ethernet cord so I can at least get online easily while at my desk. I use USB tethering with my phone when I'm not at my desk.

powerofpi
March 29th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Can anyone tell me how easy it is to connect and disconnect from a second monitor with the Intel Sandy Bridge IGP? I'm willing to run the 2.6.38 kernel in Maverick, but I need to know that multi-monitor configurations work well.

boowebb
March 29th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Can anyone tell me how easy it is to connect and disconnect from a second monitor with the Intel Sandy Bridge IGP? I'm willing to run the 2.6.38 kernel in Maverick, but I need to know that multi-monitor configurations work well.

I haven't had any issues on 11.04 and I don't recall any on 10.10. This is on a MBP 8,3 and you get the "twinview" monitor as soon as you plug in the additional monitor.

frandieguez
March 29th, 2011, 10:45 PM
I haven't had any issues on 11.04 and I don't recall any on 10.10. This is on a MBP 8,3 and you get the "twinview" monitor as soon as you plug in the additional monitor.

Same here with a MBP 8,2. As soon as you plug in the additional monitor yo will have twinview or extended monitor. You can change the layout from the Monitor preferences dialog.

macbastard
March 30th, 2011, 05:06 AM
xf86-input-multitouch has been added to the ppa so I updated the wiki with instructions to get multitouch working properly.

Did you add the bit about customizing xorg.conf. I couldn't find a copy in /etc/X11. Since my video has been fine so far, I hadn't gone looking for it.

Is xorg.conf the only option for those configurations? Any suggestion for generating one, based on the current configuration?

LeftHandThread
April 1st, 2011, 09:44 AM

Hi Amaranth

I've got one of the new Quad Core i7 17" MacBook Pros and cannot get WiFi working through ndiswrapper without hangs on modprobe or (sometimes) kernel hangs. I am using the XP driver but it seems *very unstable* to the point of being completely unusable.

This might be due to the fact that I am using Maverick (10.10 - x86_64) rather than Natty (11.04) so that I get closed source ATI drivers without problems and also Natty (Alpha) is a bit unstable for me at the moment.

Real shame as everything else seems to work including BlueTooth (with drivers added as per discussion thread) and sound. I have the AMD watermark (unsupported) but 3D works fine even if it takes more power than necessary. Running on ethernet it is absolutely fine. I really wish I could swap the WiFi card in the Mac for one that works under Ubuntu.

Other problem with the Mac is that VirtualBox 4.xx under OS/X (with new Quad Core i7) is utter garbage - I can only get 32 bit VMs to work with 1 x CPU allocated otherwise it runs *very slowly* with 100% CPU on the host. Looks like a CPU bug to me or a bad OS/X bug. Means I cannot run either Ubuntu or CentOS as 64 bit VMs - which was the whole point of me buying a Mac - having a single machine that I could run Linux, OS/X and Windows on.

Very disappointed - I just hope that Apple and/or Oracle (VirtualBox) fix this. Bit of a deal breaker for me:mad:

It would be nice is Broadcom supported the Linux community a bit more. Come on guys - even a binary blob based driver would be better than the current scenario (and I am with RMS on this one - binary blobs in the kernel are a big no-no for me).

Is it worth me compiling up a new version of ndiswrapper or does this not make any difference?
Also - does anybody know how to disable the AMD watermark?

nix1
April 1st, 2011, 02:32 PM
Look at my other post #177 on page 18

sinclair44
April 2nd, 2011, 12:49 AM
Other problem with the Mac is that VirtualBox 4.xx under OS/X (with new Quad Core i7) is utter garbage - I can only get 32 bit VMs to work with 1 x CPU allocated otherwise it runs *very slowly* with 100% CPU on the host.

A bit offtopic, but this is a known VirtualBox bug (http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/8474). You can work around it by booting into the OS X 32-bit kernel.

Sasha55
April 4th, 2011, 04:22 PM
I have a new MacBookPro8.3 17“ + RealSSD C300 256Gb and it's working with 10.10 64bit.

WLAN is working with ndiswrapper
Graphic is working with AMD driver

but I have a problem with booting: if I start windows (doing reboot, and not shutdown) before starting ubuntu than everything is working. If not ubuntu is loading and working very slow. It seems that the problem is on some devices IRQ etc. that are not initialized by ubuntu, or need to be initialized before ubuntu starts. Does someone has the same issues?

migros
April 5th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Hi all!
I have a pair of problem with the wireless... (I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 on a MacBook Pro 8.1)

I have read the guide you written, but I arleady have some problem with my home wireless... I can connect to all other wireless except mine.

I see the wireless but when I try to connect network-manager say to me that I put a wrong password! I tried with wicd too, but don't work.

My home wireless have a WPA and WPA2 - TKIP and AES cipher coding...

This is the output with iwconfig:

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"tie-51841"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.422 GHz Access Point: 64:87: D7:00:82:99
Bit Rate=144 Mb/s Tx-Power:32 dBm
RTS thr:2347 B Fragment thr:2346 B
Power Management: off
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

I hope that you understand my problem!

PS I have another problem with ndiswrapper... if I add it to the modules startup ubuntu won't startup xD

PPS I read in the guide that keyboard special function don't work.. but in mine work! I can change screen brightness and keyboard brightness too with f1,f2,f5 and f6...

soneil
April 6th, 2011, 12:40 AM
Hi all,

MacBook Pro 8,2, tried both with beta1 and April 5th's daily (for amd64), I can't boot any variation of the installer because the dvdrom isn't found.

The only relevant errors I appear to be getting are along the lines of:

[ 6.757775] ata2.01: failed to resume link (SControl 0)
(in full at http://paste.ubuntu.com/589971/ )

Trying to mount /dev/sg0 gives me "not a block device". sda1 is mountable tho, so the sata controller seems to be picked up okay (I know this was an earlier bug with 7,1s).

Has anyone else seen this? I see no mention here nor on the wiki, which seems odd for what is, to me, a showstopper.

Thanks

(edit: dmesg in entirety at http://paste.ubuntu.com/589977/ just in case being selective isn't helping)

UV-Ray
April 6th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Ubuntu Maverick 2.6.35-28-generic on MacBookPro 8,2 15", default MC723 configuration.

I've tried to install packages from mactel-support, but nothing from it seems to work.

1) Keyboard - fn button is ignored.
Keyboard model I'm using - MacBook Pro (intl), layouts - United States\USA and Russian Federation\Russia.
Can somebody with working Fn post steps to activate it, as well as working keyboard model and layout? Is it possible to setup Fn+Up as PageUp, etc...?

2) Touchpad tab on mouse preferences screen does not appear, xorg.conf settings are ignored. Again, exact steps to make it working?

3) Internal speakers are silent, but when I use headset it works like charm. How I can unmute them?

4) Internal Mic does not work in skype. In Gnome volume control it's unmuted but no spikes on meter even when I speak. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
PS. Temporary for media buttons I'm using Cmd+F7... combinations.

inphektion
April 6th, 2011, 05:32 PM

twinview? i thought twinview was an nvidia thing and this is ati/amd?

blueridgedog
April 7th, 2011, 03:41 AM
3) Internal speakers are silent, but when I use headset it works like charm. How I can unmute them?

Have you run aslamixer and verified that "MM" is not displayed in the speakers? Use left and right arros to select the speakers, then hit "M" to un-mute.

boowebb
April 7th, 2011, 05:21 PM
twinview? i thought twinview was an nvidia thing and this is ati/amd?
that's why I put it in quotes :-). By default the new chipset just works which is a nice change from the old nvidia driver which forced you to manually update your config every time you plugged in your external monitor.

Skup
April 11th, 2011, 07:35 AM
4) Internal Mic does not work in skype. In Gnome volume control it's unmuted but no spikes on meter even when I speak. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
PS. Temporary for media buttons I'm using Cmd+F7... combinations.

try to use paman (from terminal), choose device: alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo, use properties and adjust volume (I use 280%), disable skype to adjust the pegel levels automatically since it will reset the level. not a nice solution but at least it works for me with kubuntu maverick on MBP 8.2.

dmb
April 11th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Any of you having weird font issues? When I type in a terminal it is lagged, and the font looks corrupted, if I drag the window, its fine. This is with fglrx and without.

boowebb
April 11th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Things are generally working well these days - still no wireless with the Trendnet dongle or built-in but that's manageable.

I do have function keys working on the keyboard and right-click with two fingers on the trackpad so that's great.

One thing that is irritating is that my cursor will jump from time to time which I believe has to do with my left palm grazing the area left of the keyboard which somehow activates the trackpad. Is this an issue others have seen and is there a way to make that area of the trackpad less sensitive?

axflash
April 11th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Things are generally working well these days - still no wireless with the Trendnet dongle or built-in but that's manageable.

BTW, I got pretty sick of the usb stick for wifi. The small one was just too slow, and the larger ones were both slow and annoying since you have to pull them in and out all the time when traveling. I ended up just switching the airport card in the laptop with the one from the 2010 model (my wife has that one). Bingo, works, and it's fast as well.

boowebb
April 11th, 2011, 06:56 PM
BTW, I got pretty sick of the usb stick for wifi. The small one was just too slow, and the larger ones were both slow and annoying since you have to pull them in and out all the time when traveling. I ended up just switching the airport card in the laptop with the one from the 2010 model (my wife has that one). Bingo, works, and it's fast as well.

huh, guess I could just try yanking the old one out of my 3,1 MBP.

Espen11
April 11th, 2011, 09:09 PM

I'm guessing a 15" or 17"? My old 13" 7.1 doesn't seem to have a airport card, it's build in to the motherboard :(

axflash
April 12th, 2011, 07:43 PM
huh, guess I could just try yanking the old one out of my 3,1 MBP.

It has to be a pretty close match. The layout of the 7,x is similar to the 8,x, so it'll work without even removing the board. Earlier models, cabling is different to the logic board. The only issue with the 7,x exchange is the difference in antennas - 7,x has three, 8,x has four. I just tried to maintain similar attachments, seems to work fine (and speed is as before).

boowebb
April 12th, 2011, 11:40 PM
One thing that is irritating is that my cursor will jump from time to time which I believe has to do with my left palm grazing the area left of the keyboard which somehow activates the trackpad. Is this an issue others have seen and is there a way to make that area of the trackpad less sensitive?

a bit of a bump - has anyone else experienced this issue? I have been careful to keep my hands off the trackpad so I'm sure that it's not that. It really seems like when I rub the palm of my hands on the surface to the left / right of the trackpad that affects the mouse. This happened on my old MBP too so I don't think it's just a statistical measure of one :-)

Would love to figure out a way around this if possible. When I'm in native OSX mode I don't have this issue. Nor did I until I installed the modules from the mactel PPA.

poppop
April 13th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Regarding the wireless problem, I suggest to modify the wiki in order not to indicate that it is working.

Obviously the workaround using ndiswrapper is not working. It can prevent ppl from buying a laptop on which they will not be able to use the wifi connection (especially the 13' version)

andybotting
April 13th, 2011, 09:10 AM
I was working with one of the b43 wireless driver devs - and it seems that there is no open or closed support for the wireless radio in these new MBPs.

It's a whole new type - and the card inside the machine seems to have a non-standard connector, so it's difficult for the devs to work on it without actually getting a MBP for now.

So, we might be out of luck for a while.

On another note - has anyone been able to adjust the screen brightness?

I sent some debugging information to Matthew Garret about it, but haven't got anywhere yet. Buttons seem to work, but the brightness doesn't actually do anything for me.

sss71
April 13th, 2011, 02:36 PM
On another note - has anyone been able to adjust the screen brightness?

I can controll screen and keyboard brightness using keyboard function keys.

MBP 8.1, ubuntu natty out of box and updated.

sss71
April 13th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Is it safe to run Ubuntu without fan support (macfanctld is not available in Natty)? I have run stress tools:

stress --cpu 8 --io 4 --vm 2 --vm-bytes 128M --timeout 30s

and max temp showing by sensors (coretemp-isa) was 99C (critial is 100 Celsius).

Fan reach about 4500RPM, and max what it can do is 6200.

On OS-X max temerature in stress was about 93C

boowebb
April 13th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Regarding the wireless problem, I suggest to modify the wiki in order not to indicate that it is working.

Obviously the workaround using ndiswrapper is not working. It can prevent ppl from buying a laptop on which they will not be able to use the wifi connection (especially the 13' version)

removed the workaround instructions & updated the icon to "not working"

poppop
April 14th, 2011, 05:39 AM
@ boowebb: thank you

I really don't understand why Apple always tries to **** some of its customers off. Really why do they use a special connector for such a super special feature like wifi ?
I guess I should think about reselling this piece of crap.

paul.lovvik
April 14th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Hi all,

MacBook Pro 8,2, tried both with beta1 and April 5th's daily (for amd64), I can't boot any variation of the installer because the dvdrom isn't found.

The only relevant errors I appear to be getting are along the lines of:

[ 6.757775] ata2.01: failed to resume link (SControl 0)
(in full at http://paste.ubuntu.com/589971/ )

Trying to mount /dev/sg0 gives me "not a block device". sda1 is mountable tho, so the sata controller seems to be picked up okay (I know this was an earlier bug with 7,1s).

Has anyone else seen this? I see no mention here nor on the wiki, which seems odd for what is, to me, a showstopper.

Thanks

(edit: dmesg in entirety at http://paste.ubuntu.com/589977/ just in case being selective isn't helping)

I had exactly the same problem and struggled with every combination I could think of. Finally I tried using the bootable CD and the bootable USB stick together. I booted from the CD, and during the install it mounted the USB stick and continued installing.

Certainly not elegant, but it did install.

cubefish
April 14th, 2011, 09:01 PM
a bit of a bump - has anyone else experienced this issue? I have been careful to keep my hands off the trackpad so I'm sure that it's not that. It really seems like when I rub the palm of my hands on the surface to the left / right of the trackpad that affects the mouse. This happened on my old MBP too so I don't think it's just a statistical measure of one :-)

Would love to figure out a way around this if possible. When I'm in native OSX mode I don't have this issue. Nor did I until I installed the modules from the mactel PPA.

Same problem here (MBP 8,2), but even without the mactel packages.
No ideas for possible workarounds; for the moment, disabling "click on tap" seems to help (but I can't confirm that it actually prevents the problem from occurring, since I haven't ben using the laptop under ubuntu in the past few days), but it's a bit of a pain.
I have been experiencing something similar with my previous laptop as well - a Dell XPS M1330 (but the problem occurred somewhat less frequently and seemed to slowly fade away as the years passed - or maybe I just unconsciously learned to avoid those movement that triggered the unwanted clicks, who knows).

Anyway, if somebody has any idea, I could do some testing.

Cheers

dmb
April 15th, 2011, 06:24 AM
I seem to have a issue where my mouse pointer just locks up, and I can not move it. Only way I can unfreeze it is to go fn-control-option F1 then fn-control-option f7. Has anyone seen this issue, or have a fix?

Sloth
April 16th, 2011, 01:05 AM
Same problem here (MBP 8,2), but even without the mactel packages.
No ideas for possible workarounds; for the moment, disabling "click on tap" seems to help (but I can't confirm that it actually prevents the problem from occurring, since I haven't ben using the laptop under ubuntu in the past few days), but it's a bit of a pain.
I have been experiencing something similar with my previous laptop as well - a Dell XPS M1330 (but the problem occurred somewhat less frequently and seemed to slowly fade away as the years passed - or maybe I just unconsciously learned to avoid those movement that triggered the unwanted clicks, who knows).

Anyway, if somebody has any idea, I could do some testing.

Cheers

This seems to have (largely) fixed it for me:

synclient HorizTwoFingerScroll=0 TapButton1=1 LockedDrags=0 FingerLow=20 FingerHigh=120 VertScrollDelta=18 MaxTapMove=10 SingleTapTimeout=100 MaxTapTime=100 MaxDoubleTapTime=200 RTCornerButton=0 RBCornerButton=0 LTCornerButton=0 PalmDetect=1 PalmMinZ=300 MaxSpeed=4 PalmMinWidth=10 VertEdgeScroll=0 FastTaps=1

I've also got kernel patches for 2.6.39 which enable AHCI (SATA) mode when not EFI booted and and which enable screen dimming, if anyone is interested.

MBP 8,3.

dmb
April 16th, 2011, 01:16 AM
I am using the multitouch input, and I get:
synclient HorizTwoFingerScroll=0 TapButton1=1 LockedDrags=0 FingerLow=20 FingerHigh=120 VertScrollDelta=18 MaxTapMove=10 SingleTapTimeout=100 MaxTapTime=100 MaxDoubleTapTime=200 RTCornerButton=0 RBCornerButton=0 LTCornerButton=0 PalmDetect=1 PalmMinZ=300 MaxSpeed=4 PalmMinWidth=10 VertEdgeScroll=0 FastTaps=1
Couldn't find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?

when I try that.

Sloth
April 16th, 2011, 02:53 AM
I am *not* using multitouch. I only really care about two finger right click/swipe to scroll, and that does not require multitouch.

dmb
April 16th, 2011, 03:01 AM
I am *not* using multitouch. I only really care about two finger right click/swipe to scroll, and that does not require multitouch.

So what exactly does the multitouch driver provide that the non-multitouch driver can't do?

Sloth
April 16th, 2011, 09:42 AM
So what exactly does the multitouch driver provide that the non-multitouch driver can't do?

Three finger? Pinch to zoom? Not sure.

Nothing I care about.

crys
April 16th, 2011, 10:58 AM
I seem to have a issue where my mouse pointer just locks up, and I can not move it. Only way I can unfreeze it is to go fn-control-option F1 then fn-control-option f7. Has anyone seen this issue, or have a fix?

Yes, same issue here with a MBP 8,1. I had to unload the module again and purge the xorg.conf from the multitouch stuff.
Another problem is that I have no right click and left-click and grabbing/moving a window doesn't work either.

dmb
April 16th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Yeah, for me, when using multitouch driver, sensitivity is too high, and mouse randomly locks up (but not the display), and with the non multitouch default driver, i can't seem to click and drag, which I really need, especially when I want to copy and paste or move a window.

andybotting
April 16th, 2011, 09:35 PM
I've also got kernel patches for 2.6.39 which enable AHCI (SATA) mode when not EFI booted and and which enable screen dimming, if anyone is interested.

I'm very interested. Can you post the patches somewhere?

cheers

BjornW
April 17th, 2011, 12:05 AM
Slightly offtopic:

There's a request to test the new Natty Narwal beta 2 on laptops. This might be a great way to make sure Natty Narwal will run perfectly on the new Macbooks.

See here for more info:
http://primes2h.wordpress.com/2011/04/15/ubuntu-11-04-beta-2-available-for-testing-in-the-laptop-tracker/
http://laptop.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/laptop
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/Laptop

Sloth
April 17th, 2011, 01:10 AM
I'm very interested. Can you post the patches somewhere?

cheers

Here they are. Against 2.6.39-rc3:

diff --git a/drivers/pci/pci-driver.c b/drivers/pci/pci-driver.c
index 135df16..c0f71fb 100644
--- a/drivers/pci/pci-driver.c
+++ b/drivers/pci/pci-driver.c
@@ -455,8 +455,8 @@ static int pci_restore_standard_config(struct pci_dev *pci_dev)

static void pci_pm_default_resume_early(struct pci_dev *pci_dev)
{
+ pci_fixup_device(pci_fixup_resume_early, pci_dev);
pci_restore_standard_config(pci_dev);
- pci_fixup_device(pci_fixup_resume_early, pci_dev);
}

#endif
diff --git a/drivers/pci/quirks.c b/drivers/pci/quirks.c
index 5129ed6..00c6891 100644
--- a/drivers/pci/quirks.c
+++ b/drivers/pci/quirks.c
@@ -2971,3 +2971,67 @@ int pci_dev_specific_reset(struct pci_dev *dev, int probe)

return -ENOTTY;
}
+
+static bool mbp_force_ahci;
+module_param(mbp_force_ahci, bool, 0444);
+MODULE_PARM_DESC(mbp_force_ahci, "AHCI mode for MacBook Pro");
+
+static bool quirk_mbp_sata_dev(struct pci_dev *pdev)
+{
+ printk(KERN_INFO "Quirking ahci device %04x:%04x\n", pdev->vendor, pdev->device);
+ pci_write_config_word(pdev, 0x90, 0x60); /* AHCI - 6 ports enabled */
+ pdev->class = PCI_CLASS_STORAGE_SATA_AHCI;
+ // pci_write_config_dword(pdev, 0x9c, 0);
+ pci_write_config_byte(pdev, PCI_CLASS_PROG, 0x01);
+ pci_write_config_byte(pdev, PCI_CLASS_DEVICE, 0x06);
+ /* The PCI device ID will have been changed */
+ pci_read_config_word(pdev, PCI_DEVICE_ID, &pdev->device);
+ printk(KERN_DEBUG "ICH AHCI quirk: SATA AHCI controller has device ID %04x:%04x\n", pdev->vendor, pdev->device);
+ return false;
+}
+
+static void quirk_mbp_sata(struct pci_dev *pdev)
+{
+ int ret = 0;
+
+ if (!mbp_force_ahci)
+ return;
+
+ if (quirk_mbp_sata_dev(pdev))
+ return; /* nothing to do */
+
+ /* Try to allocate the resource on BAR 5.
+ * If we have a bad alignment, don't even try,
+ * thus neatly avoiding a scary warning.
+ */
+ if (pci_resource_alignment(pdev, &pdev->resource[5]))
+ ret = pci_assign_resource(pdev, 5);
+ if (!ret) {
+ printk (KERN_INFO "Quirked ICH SATA controller to AHCI mode\n");
+ return;
+ }
+ mbp_force_ahci = 0;
+ printk (KERN_ERR "MBP ICH AHCI quirk: pci_assign_resource returned %d\n", ret);
+}
+
+
+/* On resume, the device will have been reset to IDE mode, so we need to re-quirk */
+static void quirk_mbp_sata_resume(struct pci_dev *pdev)
+{
+ if (mbp_force_ahci && !quirk_mbp_sata_dev(pdev)) {
+ pci_update_resource(pdev, 5);
+ printk (KERN_INFO "Re-quirked ICH SATA controller to AHCI mode\n");
+ }
+}
+
+DECLARE_PCI_FIXUP_EARLY(PCI_VENDOR_ID_INTEL, 0x3b28, quirk_mbp_sata); /* MacBook Pro (6,1) force AHCI */
+DECLARE_PCI_FIXUP_RESUME_EARLY(PCI_VENDOR_ID_INTE L, 0x3b29, quirk_mbp_sata_resume); /* MacBook Pro (6,1) force AHCI on resume. Note that the original quirk will have changed the device ID */
+
+DECLARE_PCI_FIXUP_EARLY(PCI_VENDOR_ID_INTEL, 0x3b20, quirk_mbp_sata); /* iMac 11,1 force AHCI */
+DECLARE_PCI_FIXUP_RESUME_EARLY(PCI_VENDOR_ID_INTE L, 0x3b22, quirk_mbp_sata_resume); /* iMac 11,1 force AHCI on resume. Note that the original quirk will have changed the device ID */
+
+
+DECLARE_PCI_FIXUP_EARLY(PCI_VENDOR_ID_INTEL, 0x1c01, quirk_mbp_sata); /* iMac 8,1 force AHCI */
+DECLARE_PCI_FIXUP_RESUME_EARLY(PCI_VENDOR_ID_INTE L, 0x1c03, quirk_mbp_sata_resume); /* iMac 8,1 force AHCI on resume. Note that the original quirk will have changed the device ID */
+
+
diff --git a/drivers/video/backlight/apple_bl.c b/drivers/video/backlight/apple_bl.c
index be98d15..74ef258 100644
--- a/drivers/video/backlight/apple_bl.c
+++ b/drivers/video/backlight/apple_bl.c
@@ -31,6 +31,8 @@ struct hw_data {
/* I/O resource to allocate. */
unsigned long iostart;
unsigned long iolen;
+ unsigned long io_1_start;
+ unsigned long io_1_len;
/* Backlight operations structure. */
const struct backlight_ops backlight_ops;
void (*set_brightness)(int);
@@ -44,6 +46,12 @@ static const struct hw_data *hw_data;
static int debug;
module_param_named(debug, debug, int, 0644);
MODULE_PARM_DESC(debug, "Set to one to enable debugging messages.");
+static int use_gmux;
+module_param_named(use_gmux, use_gmux, int, 0644);
+MODULE_PARM_DESC(use_gmux, "Set to one to use gmux backlight method");
+static int max_brightness = 132000;
+module_param_named(max_brightness, max_brightness, int, 0644);
+MODULE_PARM_DESC(max_brightness, "Set to max allowable brightness");

/*
* Implementation for machines with Intel chipset.
@@ -139,6 +147,53 @@ static const struct hw_data nvidia_chipset_data = {
.set_brightness = nvidia_chipset_set_brightness,
};

+#define PORT_BACKLIGHT_1 0x774
+#define PORT_BACKLIGHT_2 0x10724
+
+static void gmux_set_brightness(int intensity)
+{
+ outw(0x2f, PORT_BACKLIGHT_2);
+ outl(intensity, PORT_BACKLIGHT_1);
+}
+
+static int gmux_send_intensity(struct backlight_device *bd)
+{
+ int intensity = bd->props.brightness;
+
+ if (debug)
+ printk(KERN_DEBUG DRIVER "setting brightness to %d\n",
+ intensity);
+
+ gmux_set_brightness(intensity);
+ return 0;
+}
+
+static int gmux_get_intensity(struct backlight_device *bd)
+{
+ int intensity;
+ intensity = inl(PORT_BACKLIGHT_1);
+
+ if (debug)
+ printk(KERN_DEBUG DRIVER "read brightness of %d\n",
+ intensity);
+
+ return intensity;
+}
+
+static const struct hw_data gmux_data = {
+ .iostart = PORT_BACKLIGHT_1,
+ .iolen = 4,
+ .io_1_start = PORT_BACKLIGHT_2,
+ .io_1_len = 2,
+ .backlight_ops = {
+ .options = BL_CORE_SUSPENDRESUME,
+ .get_brightness = gmux_get_intensity,
+ .update_status = gmux_send_intensity
+ },
+ .set_brightness = gmux_set_brightness,
+};
+
+
static int __devinit apple_bl_add(struct acpi_device *dev)
{
struct backlight_properties props;
@@ -152,10 +207,16 @@ static int __devinit apple_bl_add(struct acpi_device *dev)
return -ENODEV;
}

- if (host->vendor == PCI_VENDOR_ID_INTEL)
- hw_data = &intel_chipset_data;
- else if (host->vendor == PCI_VENDOR_ID_NVIDIA)
- hw_data = &nvidia_chipset_data;
+ if(use_gmux == 0) {
+ if (host->vendor == PCI_VENDOR_ID_INTEL)
+ hw_data = &intel_chipset_data;
+ else if (host->vendor == PCI_VENDOR_ID_NVIDIA)
+ hw_data = &nvidia_chipset_data;
+ }
+ else
+ hw_data = &gmux_data;
+
+ printk(KERN_ERR DRIVER "host->vendor == %x gmux = %d", host->vendor, use_gmux);

pci_dev_put(host);

@@ -170,24 +231,38 @@ static int __devinit apple_bl_add(struct acpi_device *dev)

if (!intensity) {
hw_data->set_brightness(1);
- if (!hw_data->backlight_ops.get_brightness(NULL))
+ if (!hw_data->backlight_ops.get_brightness(NULL)) {
+ printk(KERN_ERR DRIVER "cannot set brightness - no device found\n");
return -ENODEV;
+ }
+

hw_data->set_brightness(0);
}
-
+
if (!request_region(hw_data->iostart, hw_data->iolen,
- "Apple backlight"))
- return -ENXIO;
+ "Apple backlight")) {
+ printk(KERN_ERR DRIVER "cannot request backlight region\n");
+ // return -ENXIO;
+ }
+ if (hw_data->io_1_start != 0 && !request_region(hw_data->io_1_start, hw_data->io_1_len,
+ "Apple backlight1")) {
+ printk(KERN_ERR DRIVER "cannot request backlight region 1\n");
+ // return -ENXIO;
+ }
+

memset(&props, 0, sizeof(struct backlight_properties));
props.type = BACKLIGHT_PLATFORM;
- props.max_brightness = 15;
- apple_backlight_device = backlight_device_register("apple_backlight",
+ props.max_brightness = use_gmux ? max_brightness : 15;
+ apple_backlight_device = backlight_device_register("acpi_video0",
NULL, NULL, &hw_data->backlight_ops, &props);

if (IS_ERR(apple_backlight_device)) {
release_region(hw_data->iostart, hw_data->iolen);
+ if(hw_data->io_1_start)
+ release_region(hw_data->io_1_start, hw_data->io_1_len);
+ printk(KERN_ERR DRIVER "cannot register device\n");
return PTR_ERR(apple_backlight_device);
}

@@ -203,6 +278,8 @@ static int __devexit apple_bl_remove(struct acpi_device *dev, int type)
backlight_device_unregister(apple_backlight_device );

release_region(hw_data->iostart, hw_data->iolen);
+ if(hw_data->io_1_start)
+ release_region(hw_data->io_1_start, hw_data->io_1_len);
hw_data = NULL;
return 0;
}

Anon7-2521
April 17th, 2011, 02:42 AM
I've tried running Natty and I can't even get the LiveCD to load. It tells me that it is "unable to find a medium containing a live file system". It seems as if it doesn't recognize the CD drive. I'm not really sure what to do here. Any one else experience this? Any suggestions?

andybotting
April 17th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Here they are. Against 2.6.39-rc3:

The screen dimming works well - after I worked out I needed to load the module with use_gmux=1 added to it. Has this been sent upstream to Matthew Garret? He was looking into this for me, but I haven't heard from him in a few weeks.

The AHCI patch didn't work.

My kernel config has:

CONFIG_PCI_QUIRKS=y
CONFIG_ATA_PIIX=y

but don't see any of the quirk messages on boot. Looks like the device IDs match fine though. Am I missing something?

cheers

Sloth
April 17th, 2011, 04:32 PM
The screen dimming works well - after I worked out I needed to load the module with use_gmux=1 added to it. Has this been sent upstream to Matthew Garret? He was looking into this for me, but I haven't heard from him in a few weeks.

The AHCI patch didn't work.

My kernel config has:

CONFIG_PCI_QUIRKS=y
CONFIG_ATA_PIIX=y

but don't see any of the quirk messages on boot. Looks like the device IDs match fine though. Am I missing something?

cheers

Sorry for the lack of instructions. You want quirks.mbp_force_ahci=1 on the kernel command line.

And do not, _do not_, miss the patch to pci_driver.c. Otherwise the controller will not be requirked correctly on resume and you will lose your controller after a resume.

I have not submitted either upstream. Have been planning to submit the AHCI patch for a while (I've tested it for about a year now on several different MBPs.) The dimmer patch, I just wrote. If you have a contact email address, that would be a big help.

Sloth
April 17th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Ah, and the apple_bl module wants this in one of your /etc/modprobe.d/ conf files:

options apple_bl use_gmux=1 max_brightness=132000

Max_brightness is needed for different models. Last years MBP has a max of 3000 or so; this years is more like 132000.

Anon7-2521
April 17th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I've realized the problem is that It can't read the disc drive. Has anyone else had this problem? (MBP 8,1)

andybotting
April 17th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Ah, and the apple_bl module wants this in one of your /etc/modprobe.d/ conf files:

options apple_bl use_gmux=1 max_brightness=132000

Max_brightness is needed for different models. Last years MBP has a max of 3000 or so; this years is more like 132000.

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Btw, I PM'd you about sending your patch upstream.

cheers

dmb
April 17th, 2011, 11:10 PM
So is linux is treating the drives like they are ide drives in non efi mode but in efi mode they are? Does this happen to windows also, or do the bootcamp drivers hack around this?

Anon7-2521
April 18th, 2011, 12:19 AM
So is linux is treating the drives like they are ide drives in non efi mode but in efi mode they are? Does this happen to windows also, or do the bootcamp drivers hack around this?

I'm not sure what you're asking.

dmb
April 18th, 2011, 12:58 AM
I'm not sure what you're asking.

Sorry, I am referring to AHCI mode. Just trying to understand the issue, and what the patch does.

Sloth
April 18th, 2011, 05:43 AM

If you boot in EFI mode, the drives are seen as AHCI - SATA.

If you boot in non-EFI mode - i.e, bootcamp, normal ubuntu installs - the drives are seen as IDE. Slower, less advanced, etc.

My patch quirks the device into AHCI mode. It lets you boot into Linux without using EFI and run the drives using AHCI.

BjornW
April 18th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Is there a reason why you wouldn't want to use EFI? I've been running Ubuntu on my macbook with rEFIt since 2006 and it works flawlessly.

Anon7-2521
April 18th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Any news on the wireless? I got everything installed beautifully using a tether to my phone and was able to rsync my 10.04 home folder and everything is beautiful. Now all I need is my wireless. Would it help to build my own kernel? What exactly is the problem with ndiswrapper? Does it fail to boot completely or does it just take a long time?

andybotting
April 18th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Is there a reason why you wouldn't want to use EFI? I've been running Ubuntu on my macbook with rEFIt since 2006 and it works flawlessly.

That's not actually EFI mode. Unless you manually set up grub-efi to boot in EFI mode, you'll be booting in BIOS compatibility mode.

LeftHandThread
April 18th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I've been doing a bit of reading around about Ubuntu/Debian and ndiswrapper (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ndiswrapper) and the reason that the BCM4331 doesn't work with ndiswrapper is that Broadcom have only released a Windows 7 driver (which uses the NDIS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NDIS) 6 APIs) and ndiswrapper only supports up to NDIS 5 - which explains the error message (unsupported call) on loading the driver and (perhaps) the hard lock on inserting the ndiswrapper kernel module.

There doesn't seem to be a work-around this just yet. Either:

1) We need a native Linux BCM4331 driver - come on Broadcom! (or)
2) ndiswrapper needs to support up to and including NDIS 6.2

For now I've purchased a Belkin F5D8053 (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Device/Belkin%20F5D8053) (external USB WiFi dongle which works fine under Ubuntu). Lets hope that a BCM4331 kernel module is available soon. Other than that, "Maverick" (10.10) works fine on the new Mac.

On a different tack - has anyone managed to get the 2nd mouse (right hand click) working under Ubuntu like it does under OS/X? Having no right hand click without plugging in an external mouse is very annoying to say the least. Mouse hover/gestures works (accessibility) but is no substitute for the real thing.

Sloth
April 18th, 2011, 02:46 PM
That's not actually EFI mode. Unless you manually set up grub-efi to boot in EFI mode, you'll be booting in BIOS compatibility mode.

Exactly.

I still haven't managed a clean boot in EFI, and I am not entirely sure it is worth the effort, except to enable the Intel graphics.

Right now, the applesmc driver won't work in EFI mode. No applesmc means no fans, no keyboard backlight, etc.

I managed to patch around that, but still no intel graphics.

As I said, not high on my list to get it fully working.

Anon7-2521
April 18th, 2011, 03:33 PM
On a different tack - has anyone managed to get the 2nd mouse (right hand click) working under Ubuntu like it does under OS/X? Having no right hand click without plugging in an external mouse is very annoying to say the least. Mouse hover/gestures works (accessibility) but is no substitute for the real thing.

Go to preferences > Mouse > Touchpad >Two-finger right click.

I Assume this is what you're talking about?

Anon7-2521
April 18th, 2011, 03:58 PM
It seems to me that Intel graphics are working on my machine. What kinds of problems are you having?

[ 42.383] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 10.0
[ 42.383] (II) intel: Driver for Intel Integrated Graphics Chipsets: i810,
i810-dc100, i810e, i815, i830M, 845G, 854, 852GM/855GM, 865G, 915G,
E7221 (i915), 915GM, 945G, 945GM, 945GME, Pineview GM, Pineview G,
965G, G35, 965Q, 946GZ, 965GM, 965GME/GLE, G33, Q35, Q33, GM45,
4 Series, G45/G43, Q45/Q43, G41, B43, B43, Clarkdale, Arrandale,
Sandybridge, Sandybridge, Sandybridge, Sandybridge, Sandybridge,
Sandybridge, Sandybridge

This is what my xorg.0.log file says

Sloth
April 18th, 2011, 04:48 PM
It seems to me that Intel graphics are working on my machine. What kinds of problems are you having?

[ 42.383] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 10.0
[ 42.383] (II) intel: Driver for Intel Integrated Graphics Chipsets: i810,
i810-dc100, i810e, i815, i830M, 845G, 854, 852GM/855GM, 865G, 915G,
E7221 (i915), 915GM, 945G, 945GM, 945GME, Pineview GM, Pineview G,
965G, G35, 965Q, 946GZ, 965GM, 965GME/GLE, G33, Q35, Q33, GM45,
4 Series, G45/G43, Q45/Q43, G41, B43, B43, Clarkdale, Arrandale,
Sandybridge, Sandybridge, Sandybridge, Sandybridge, Sandybridge,
Sandybridge, Sandybridge

This is what my xorg.0.log file says

Nice.

When I boot in, I get a blank screen. If I ssh into the machine, I can see that it is loading and trying to use the Intel graphics, but it's not picking up the display (at all) correctly and no display.

axflash
April 18th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Exactly.

I still haven't managed a clean boot in EFI, and I am not entirely sure it is worth the effort, except to enable the Intel graphics.

The Intel graphics alone would make it totally worth it in my book. While it is extremely nice to not have to rely on the closed nvidia driver on the laptop, the power management on radeon is pretty pathetic. Even in the low power mode, I still end up with a laptop that eats ~18W or power. And in the low power mode, scrolling is painfully slow, choppy, and almost unbearable. Higher power modes work great, but consume way too much power to be useful (adds about 10W even for the next mode, "mid"). Dynamic modes are useless, as the screen flickers when switching clocks. At least the nvidia chip had good power management.

Using the Intel chip would cut 2-3W off the power. That's essentially an extra hour of computer time when traveling.

So I'd say that being able to use the Intel graphics would be immensely useful. I spent a few hours playing with EFI boot, and the results weren't too great. It boots, but graphics output was garbled (dual link issue, I believe, there's a patch). It would not come out of suspend either.

axflash
April 18th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Nice.

When I boot in, I get a blank screen. If I ssh into the machine, I can see that it is loading and trying to use the Intel graphics, but it's not picking up the display (at all) correctly and no display.

You need to tell the gmux to switch to the Intel output, I'm guessing. Try something ala:

ioperm(0x700, 0x100, 1);

outb(1, 0x728);
outb(2, 0x710);
outb(2, 0x740);