PDA

View Full Version : Coke or Pepsi

BWF89
May 3rd, 2006, 02:46 AM
The age old question, will now be answered.

darkwarrior0404
May 3rd, 2006, 02:51 AM
Gotta go with Coke on this one man :mrgreen: besides, coca cola makes vault, my favorite 8)

aysiu
May 3rd, 2006, 02:54 AM
Given a choice between those two, I'll pick Coke, but... I really think both are nasty. I'd much prefer root beer or grape soda.

darkwarrior0404
May 3rd, 2006, 02:57 AM
Given a choice between those two, I'll pick Coke, but... I really think both are nasty. I'd much prefer root beer or grape soda.

Yeah, I like root beer alot better then bout anything, but given the two choices, went with coke :)

BWF89
May 3rd, 2006, 02:58 AM
I really think both are nasty. I'd much prefer root beer or grape soda.
Grape is the best flavor.

I read on Wikipedia that root beer is really only popular in the US. Can anyone from another country confirm this?

aysiu
May 3rd, 2006, 03:22 AM
I read on Wikipedia that root beer is really only popular in the US. Can anyone from another country confirm this? I tried to order a root beer in Glasgow once, and all I got were funny looks from the waitress. Couldn't bring myself to order IRN-BRU instead (as it tastes like carbonated chewing gum). I think I just ordered a water.

DoktorSeven
May 3rd, 2006, 05:10 AM
A magazine once called Pepsi "*** Cola" because they said it "tasted like ***."

I agree 100%.

mstlyevil
May 3rd, 2006, 06:32 AM
Pepsi is just too sweet for my taste. I drink either coke or DRPepper.

htinn
May 3rd, 2006, 06:38 AM
If they weren't sitting around on the stock room floor for a week or two (which they always are) they'd be roughly equal. When Pepsi gets cooked, it loses a bit of its sugariness and becomes nice and smooth. When Coke gets cooked, it just starts to taste like battery acid.

prizrak
May 3rd, 2006, 06:56 AM

I read on Wikipedia that root beer is really only popular in the US. Can anyone from another country confirm this?
Comming from mother Ukraine I can confirm that no one in the former Soviet camp has any idea what root bear is. In the book "Just for Fun" by Linus Torvalds he actually mentions root beer and says that only an american could like it. (although now I'm not too sure if that's where I read it, coulda been somewhere else).

aysiu
May 3rd, 2006, 06:59 AM
In the book "Just for Fun" by Linus Torvalds he actually mentions root beer and says that only an american could like it. (although now I'm not too sure if that's where I read it, coulda been somewhere else). No, you're right--that was in Torvalds' book.

darkwarrior0404
May 3rd, 2006, 06:59 AM
If they weren't sitting around on the stock room floor for a week or two (which they always are) they'd be roughly equal. When Pepsi gets cooked, it loses a bit of its sugariness and becomes nice and smooth. When Coke gets cooked, it just starts to taste like battery acid.

Can definately vouch for that, used to work at a grocery store and if it isnt selling alot, it just sits there, or you get some punk putting cokes on shelf and doesnt care if he shakes it or drops them or anything, to get a true feel for what they both taste like, (in which they are both good) go to a pepsi or coke plant and try them :D

xmastree
May 3rd, 2006, 07:04 AM
When I lived in the UK, I didn't like Pepsi. Too sweet. I even took a blind test in a store once, to see which I preferred. I knew that one would be pepsi, but did not know what the other was.
I sipped one... ok. Sipped the other, "Bleaurgh! that's the Pepsi"
I was right too. The other was Virgin cola.

However, since I moved to the Philippines I prefer Pepsi. I think it's a different recipe, or maybe the weather. As was noted up there, Pepsi keeps better.

shapht
May 3rd, 2006, 07:09 AM
I have a sweet tooth, so one more vote for Pepsi.

prizrak
May 3rd, 2006, 07:10 AM
When I lived in the UK, I didn't like Pepsi. Too sweet. I even took a blind test in a store once, to see which I preferred. I knew that one would be pepsi, but did not know what the other was.
I sipped one... ok. Sipped the other, "Bleaurgh! that's the Pepsi"
I was right too. The other was Virgin cola.

However, since I moved to the Philippines I prefer Pepsi. I think it's a different recipe, or maybe the weather. As was noted up there, Pepsi keeps better.
Actually it is slightly different for different countries. We had a case study on the soft drink industry back in college and it said that while they are largely the same everywhere there are small variations according to the general preference of the population. For instance the middle eastern variants tend to have less sugar in them. The Japanese versions come in smaller cans because Japanese are on average smaller than Europeans, the formula is the same however.

xmastree
May 3rd, 2006, 07:10 AM
Couldn't bring myself to order IRN-BRU instead (as it tastes like carbonated chewing gum).Aye, it's disgusting stuff, (http://www.irn-bru.co.uk/) isn't it?
Apparently it's good for hangovers. :confused:

aysiu
May 3rd, 2006, 07:12 AM
Aye, it's disgusting stuff, (http://www.irn-bru.co.uk/) isn't it?
Apparently it's good for hangovers. :confused: It's pretty bad... but not as bad as Marmite (http://www.marmite.com/).

briancurtin
May 3rd, 2006, 07:12 AM
dr. pepper

FISHERMAN
May 3rd, 2006, 07:52 AM
Don't like soft drinks. I prefer water.

openmind
May 3rd, 2006, 07:55 AM
It's pretty bad... but not as bad as Marmite (http://www.marmite.com/). Heathen.;)

drucer
May 3rd, 2006, 08:00 AM
DrPepper is best! I used to drink that a lot when I was a kid in the eighties. Coke comes second.

Too bad it's hard to find DrPepper in Finland nowadays. Not very many stores sell it anymore.

KiwiNZ
May 3rd, 2006, 08:41 AM
I am a Diet Coke person
My other soft drink of choice is Ginger Beer especially Bundaberg

matthew
May 3rd, 2006, 10:35 AM
Coke, especially in a glass bottle from a place like Mexico or Morocco that doesn't use corn syrup in the receipe but instead uses just sugar...sorry if I just popped anyone's bubble, the formula does change in different locales.

darkwarrior0404
May 3rd, 2006, 12:15 PM
Coke, especially in a glass bottle from a place like Mexico or Morocco that doesn't use corn syrup in the receipe but instead uses just sugar...sorry if I just popped anyone's bubble, the formula does change in different locales.

:-k I didn't know that, learn something knew every day :mrgreen:

Don't like soft drinks. I prefer water.

but :( soft drinks are good :D but gotta admit... after a hot day and been working, nothing better then a glass of ice cold water :-D

barbarian
May 3rd, 2006, 01:11 PM

From the list - pepsi. By the way, what does it mean 'root beer' - first time hear about this sort..
is it strong?

matthew
May 3rd, 2006, 01:45 PM
From the list - pepsi. By the way, what does it mean 'root beer' - first time hear about this sort..
is it strong?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_beer

barbarian
May 3rd, 2006, 01:55 PM
cool, unfortunately we haven't this sort in our market.. but 2% it's nearly non-alcoholic;-)

darkwarrior0404
May 3rd, 2006, 02:31 PM
cool, unfortunately we haven't this sort in our market.. but 2% it's nearly non-alcoholic;-)

It's pretty good stuff 8) There used to be this drink called "Surge" anyone remember it? and how I think they outlawed it because of so much caffiene lol... 25 cents a can, for a energy drink basically, it was good, wonder what ever happend to it.. :mrgreen:

endersshadow
May 3rd, 2006, 02:40 PM
I usually get Dr. Pepper or some variant thereof, but I had to give Pepsi points for Wild Cherry Diet Pepsi--it blows Diet Cherry Coke out of the water. :-D

pulver
May 3rd, 2006, 02:55 PM
if i want a cup of sugar i go borrow it from my neighbours :cool:

have to go with dr. pepper on this one...

Stormy Eyes
May 3rd, 2006, 03:02 PM
The age old question, will now be answered.

Neither. I won't drink Coke until they go back to their original recipe and put cocaine in their Coca-Cola. And Pepsi tastes like week-old rat ****.

xmastree
May 3rd, 2006, 03:31 PM
Like that's going to happen.

I'm wondering though, how do you know what week old rat **** tastes like?

Stormy Eyes
May 3rd, 2006, 03:34 PM
Like that's going to happen.

Hey, they could do it in Mexico, where drugs have been decriminalized for personal use. Then I'll import my Coked-up Cola from Mexico.

I'm wondering though, how do you know what week old rat **** tastes like?

I had a ****** childhood.

truthfatal
May 3rd, 2006, 04:05 PM
Coke mixes better with liquor... They're both pretty nasty on their own though.

TimelessRogue
May 3rd, 2006, 05:33 PM
Pepsi is the one ... or used to be. These days I much prefer a nice double or triple latte ... followed in short order by another ... and perhaps another ...

Kimm
May 3rd, 2006, 06:20 PM

I can confirm that. Even though Root beer is sold in sweden, none normaly buys it. I tried it once... It tasted like carbonated toothpaste

YourSurrogateGod
May 3rd, 2006, 06:21 PM
*lol* This can be a fun flame war if it develops.

Oh yeh, coke. I tried pepsi and didn't like it.

YourSurrogateGod
May 3rd, 2006, 06:22 PM
I had a ****** childhood.
*lol* I thought I had it bad when I first came here.

YourSurrogateGod
May 3rd, 2006, 06:23 PM
I like cherry vanilla coke with some whiskey, good stuff. Helps me relax after a hectic day/week/month.

zubrug
May 3rd, 2006, 06:47 PM
http://www.buzzflash.com/contributors/05/12/con05468.html

I used to drink Coke, now its water. Read the link above before you make your choice.

matthew
May 3rd, 2006, 06:50 PM
Pepsi is the one ... or used to be. These days I much prefer a nice double or triple latte ... followed in short order by another ... and perhaps another ...LOL. Soon you will move on to the hard stuff like a quad shot of espresso. :)

YourSurrogateGod
May 3rd, 2006, 06:52 PM
http://www.buzzflash.com/contributors/05/12/con05468.html

I used to drink Coke, now its water. Read the link above before you make your choice.
This is why you go to Costco.

red_Marvin
May 3rd, 2006, 07:53 PM
Coke? No
Pepsi? No

Among soft-drinks I prefer grape tonic or some equivalent.
But they all get beaten by orange juice or juice from some other fruit!

Reshin
May 3rd, 2006, 07:55 PM
Mountain Dew. No contest.

thomashauk
May 3rd, 2006, 08:35 PM
Pepsi Max

Plain and STRONG.

Std Pepsi is beaten by Coke though.

rado_london
May 3rd, 2006, 10:00 PM
I voted for Coke. But the truth is differnet. Its name is CHILLED STELLA ARTOIS.
This is the best thing when i am in front of my ubuntu!!!

TeeAhr1
May 3rd, 2006, 10:32 PM
RC Cola. The original, still the king. Mixes well with whiskeys of all kinds.

rado_london
May 3rd, 2006, 10:34 PM
RC Cola. The original, still the king. Mixes well with whiskeys of all kinds.
Also with vodka and particularly well with Smirnoff Vodka

claydoh
May 3rd, 2006, 11:37 PM
I have Coke a t work, so I usually buy Pepsi at home.
I seem to prefer the newest diet flavors out there (cherry, lime, lemon etc), but my fave soda to date is Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper, tastes the least like a diet soda

Biltong (Dee)
May 3rd, 2006, 11:57 PM
Here in South Africa Coke is sold EVERYWHERE. Pepsi on the other hand is not to be found. We also have Coke Lite which isn't half bad.
No unusual flavours like cherry Coke either - just plain Coke in a red tin.
I tried a Pepsi once - was imported from Dubai and ever since then I have been saving up for a plane ticket!:-)

Qrk
May 4th, 2006, 12:40 AM
Ginger Ale

I like how it tickles my nose. :D

khr1z
May 4th, 2006, 12:43 AM
For my coca-cola is the best coke ever.

GreyFox503
May 4th, 2006, 07:11 AM
The most interesting part of this discussion is about the root beer. I didn't realize that was an American drink.

xmastree
May 4th, 2006, 08:39 AM
What about Dandelion & Burdock? Anyone outside the UK heard of that?

awakatanka
May 4th, 2006, 10:30 AM
I only drink open source drinks.

matthew
May 4th, 2006, 10:38 AM
I only drink open source drinks.You mean like this? Never tried it, but it sounds interesting. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCola

awakatanka
May 4th, 2006, 01:53 PM
You mean like this? Never tried it, but it sounds interesting. :)

Hehe lol. I would order one if it is possible. Didn't know it existed.

[h2o]
May 4th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Coke. Since Pepsi tastes terrible. :rolleyes:

PurpleMoggy
May 4th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Pepsi Cola is better than Coca-Cola

and as a brand Pepsi is better than Coke too

Mountain Dew is the best though

WoodyMahan
May 4th, 2006, 08:39 PM
I'm from Atlanta. Isn't Pepsi just a flavor of Coke? Go to Georgia and order a Coke, they will ask you what kind, and Pepsi is a perfectly valid answer. Just a little confused.

BWF89
May 5th, 2006, 04:17 AM
The most interesting part of this discussion is about the root beer. I didn't realize that was an American drink.
Yeah, the people living outside the US & Canada need to go out and try a root beer. Their really good. Especially when you have it in one of those plastic mugs that you keep in the freezer that has the water in it so it so it's even more cold.

GreyFox503
May 5th, 2006, 05:47 AM
I'm from Atlanta. Isn't Pepsi just a flavor of Coke? Go to Georgia and order a Coke, they will ask you what kind, and Pepsi is a perfectly valid answer. Just a little confused.
I'd heard of this also. Apparently in other countries and/or regions in the US (such as Georgia?) they use the word "Coke" to refer to all soft drinks, including Pepsi.

At least where I'm at (Missouri), "Coke" refers specifically to the Coca-Cola brand, and of course "Pepsi" just means Pepsi.

jeremy
May 5th, 2006, 05:48 AM
In my case, neither, thanks.

xmastree
May 5th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Apparently in other countries and/or regions in the US (such as Georgia?) they use the word "Coke" to refer to all soft drinks, In Glasow they refer to them all as ginger... :confused:

joselin
May 5th, 2006, 10:10 AM
I usually drink cola with whiskey. But without whiskey i hate it, i prefer water or beer.

asimon
May 5th, 2006, 10:38 AM
I usually drink cola with whiskey.
Oh yeah, I like that too, but without the cola. ;-)

the_tiger
May 6th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Have given up caffine. I fear I will be ostracised by the geek community.

nightweave
May 7th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Try home brewed Ginger Beer those other two are for the weak.

MenZa
May 7th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Man, this is as bad--or even worse--than the GNOME vs. KDE polls.

Technoviking
May 8th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Coca-cola, but I have been told to cut down on caffenine.

cmaxter
May 8th, 2006, 11:45 PM
From coffee to coke to coffee to coke to coffee to coke wow! it's 3:30 am

YourSurrogateGod
May 9th, 2006, 01:04 AM
You mean like this? Never tried it, but it sounds interesting. :)

That's awesome.

era86
May 9th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Coca Cola uses overseas cheap labor and exploitation in the Philippines to capitalize on their products... I don't like them.

Reshin
May 9th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Opencola...how does that even work?? :confused:

patrick295767
May 9th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Man, to find Pepsi somewhere in Europe : Good Luck !

It s like finding a MACintosh in Europe : Good Luck !

Greetings to this thread author !

===
Btw, the replacement with Aspartame is not an healthy thing ... But who cares if the taste is good ... :-(

Cyraxzz
July 19th, 2006, 01:08 AM
just a random and a common question

Jagot
July 19th, 2006, 01:11 AM
Oooh well it depnds:

In plastic bottles/cans: Pepsi
In glass bottles: Coca Cola

But to be honest I drink water most of the time anyway.

BWF89
July 19th, 2006, 01:15 AM
I already made this thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=169566

aysiu
July 19th, 2006, 01:15 AM
Root beer.

daniel of sarnia
July 19th, 2006, 01:16 AM
Too much suger, I don't like soda. Ice tea is where it's at :)

RAV TUX
July 19th, 2006, 01:40 AM
on the rare occasion I have a soda I prefer IBC Root Beer:

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/7172/poprb1us8.jpg

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/7357/large49iz5.jpg

History of IBC Root Beer:

The smooth, creamy refreshment of IBC Root Beer began in 1919 (http://www.ibcrootbeer.com/1919.html) with the Griesedieck family and the independent Breweries Company in St. louis, hence the name of IBC Root Beer. Development as an alternative to alcoholic beverages during prohibition, IBC Root Beer became renowned for its quality, richness and great taste.

When the independent Breweries Company closed, the Kranzberg family purchased the trademark and distributed IBC Root Beer at their North-western Bottling Company, its popularity grew during the 1920s, and it was soon available at many top restaurants. In the late '30s the Kranzberg sold the IBC trademark and formula to the National Bottling Company owned by the Shucart family.

After World War II, Marketing and production methods changed and IBC Root Beer's revival began after the seven-up company purchased Taylor Beverages in 1980 and increased sales and distribution throughout the Midwest and the south.

In 1986 Dr. Pepper Company purchased Seven-up, and moved it to Dallas, TX. IBC Root Beer became available nationwide and has enjoyed phenomenal success virtually everywhere it is distributed. IBC Root Beer quality was upheld through the years by retaining its original, secret formula and authentic brown glass bottle. Cadbury Schweppes acquired by Dr. Pepper/Seven-up Companies, Inc. in March 1995, making IBC a brand of Cadbury Schweppes plc of London.

Today, the tradition of the original, old fashioned 1919 (http://www.ibcrootbeer.com/1919.html) taste is carried on in every Bottle of our famous IBC soft drinks. The unique, old time glass bottle makes IBC Root Beer, IBC Diet Root Beer, IBC cream Soda, IBC Black Cherry and IBC Cherry Cola stand out and all other Soft Drinks. IBC Truly is... Still the Best

GStubbs43
July 19th, 2006, 01:48 AM
If your talking actual sugar and caffeine soda, Coke, but if your talking diet, Diet Pepsi, or Diet Coke sweetened with Splenda, but I'm not a big fan of regular pepsi or diet coke. ;) So I'm not gonna vote because I don't know what I would choose.

GStubbs43
July 19th, 2006, 01:49 AM
Like I said here (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=218590): If your talking actual sugar and caffeine soda, Coke, but if your talking diet, Diet Pepsi, or Diet Coke sweetened with Splenda, but I'm not a big fan of regular pepsi or diet coke. So I'm not gonna vote because I don't know what I would choose.

woedend
July 19th, 2006, 01:50 AM
i like coke better than pepsi, but diet mountain dew is my favorite drink ever.

az
July 19th, 2006, 02:04 AM
In Canada, the Mountain Dew has *no* caffeine. I always wondered, as a kid, why all the Mountain Dew commercials had youths flying around doing Extreme things....

Anyway, Spruce Beer rocks!

fuscia
July 19th, 2006, 02:09 AM
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=83472

Vorian
July 19th, 2006, 02:20 AM
I love coke! Although for some reason it's not so great in a two liter.

Dr. Falken
July 19th, 2006, 02:38 AM
Coca-cola, 'cause here, in Argentina, pepsi tastes like cough syrup...

El doc

matthew
July 19th, 2006, 02:42 AM
I just merged two threads together because the second really was the same as this thread. If you see a few posts that don't flow as well that's why.

fuscia
July 19th, 2006, 02:48 AM
I just merged two threads together because the second really was the same as this thread. If you see a few posts that don't flow as well that's why.

isn't the poll now skewed as some of us might have voted in each?

ComplexNumber
July 19th, 2006, 02:53 AM
they taste exactly the same to me.

matthew
July 19th, 2006, 02:59 AM
isn't the poll now skewed as some of us might have voted in each?Yep. Seeing as it's "just for fun," does it matter too much?

fuscia
July 19th, 2006, 03:36 AM
Yep. Seeing as it's "just for fun," does it matter too much?

oh, i thought it was serious.:-k

Jedeye
July 19th, 2006, 03:53 AM
Coke is it!

B0rsuk
July 19th, 2006, 05:33 AM
Why there's no 'neither' option ?

adam.tropics
July 19th, 2006, 06:22 AM
Has to be Coke, though I really wish you could still get the old style glass bottled version......there's something not right with drinking everything out of plastic containers.

ComplexNumber
July 19th, 2006, 06:28 AM
Has to be Coke, though I really wish you could still get the old style glass bottled version......there's something not right with drinking everything out of plastic containers.
it tastes different out of a plastic container when compared to a glass. then again, all drinks do...especially beer.

RAV TUX
July 19th, 2006, 06:58 AM

Thanks for the explanation matthew, I spent about 3 hours searching for that other thread, I could have sworn I choose "neither".;)

matthew
July 19th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Has to be Coke, though I really wish you could still get the old style glass bottled version......there's something not right with drinking everything out of plastic containers.We have glass bottles in Morocco. I've seen them in Mexico as well. You are absolutely right, it does taste better out of glass. (Hey, even if it is my imagination, let me have my delusions and I'll let you keep yours--I'm still not convinced this is a delusion, though.)

adam.tropics
July 19th, 2006, 11:09 AM
We have glass bottles in Morocco. I've seen them in Mexico as well. You are absolutely right, it does taste better out of glass. (Hey, even if it is my imagination, let me have my delusions and I'll let you keep yours--I'm still not convinced this is a delusion, though.)

No, it's not your imagination, and don't even get me started on cans!

matthew
July 19th, 2006, 11:55 AM
No, it's not your imagination, and don't even get me started on cans!Cans! Brrr...a shiver just went up my spine.

richbarna
July 19th, 2006, 12:28 PM
It's pretty bad... but not as bad as Marmite (http://www.marmite.com/).

How dare you !!! Blasphemous !! I have Marmite sent from the UK :)

If you live in LA USA, take a look at this :-
http://video.google.es/videoplay?docid=3852076319211300735&q=Marmite

Oh, I voted Coke, even though i don't drink it that much, although it does a good job of drowning horrible Spanish whiskey.

I also heard that each can of coke has 15 spoons of sugar in it, yuk!

adam.tropics
July 19th, 2006, 12:30 PM
How dare you !!! Blasphemous !! I have Marmite sent from the UK :)

So do I!!

re:my previous post...marmite comes in a glass jar, vegemite (yuk) in plastic!

bigken
July 19th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Much better with a large JD :-D

richbarna
July 19th, 2006, 12:34 PM
So do I!!

Cool !! Great isn't it ? Haven't you guys got Vegamite out there?

Also had a mate from Cairns, told me that you guys live on muck/mud?-crabs. He also introduced me to "Pub Rock" music, great Australian stuff :)

adam.tropics
July 19th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Cool !! Great isn't it ? Haven't you guys got Vegamite out there?

Also had a mate from Cairns, told me that you guys live on muck/mud?-crabs.

....yes, and bundaberg rum and coke!!

(Mud Crabs, well yes, but in general the seafood here is fantastic as we are on the Great Barrier Reef....which helps!

As for vegemite...please...I am British....I have standards! (moved here 5yrs ago)

richbarna
July 19th, 2006, 01:00 PM
....yes, and bundaberg rum and coke!!

(Mud Crabs, well yes, but in general the seafood here is fantastic as we are on the Great Barrier Reef....which helps!

As for vegemite...please...I am British....I have standards! (moved here 5yrs ago)

Lol, I thought you were an Aussie. I suppose you have the PG Tips tea sent out as well. I can actually buy it in Spain but it's a bit expensive.

fuscia
July 19th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Cans! Brrr...a shiver just went up my spine.

some of the american light beers taste better in cans (it must leech something from the can).

arsenic23
July 19th, 2006, 02:40 PM
The only soda worth drinking is Stewarts Orange Cream Soda, which is bottled in Jersey.

http://www.drinkstewarts.com/index.html

djsroknrol
July 19th, 2006, 02:46 PM
I vote Coke...Pepsi is just too sweet for my taste..BTW, Coke Blak is great stuff. What a zinger it is...