PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How can I uninstall Skype completely?

JosephWheatley
February 26th, 2011, 11:41 AM
I have uninstalled and reinstalled Skype 2.1 Beta 2 for Linux several times using the Ubuntu Software Centre and the Synaptics Package Manager for a complete removal.

My problem is that Skype still knows my log-in details when I start the newly reinstalled Skype so I know it has not been a complete uninstallation.

I want all these details to be deleted. I have had issues with Skype not ringing on calls and the instant messaging being disorderly so I want it all CLEANLY installed.

sffvba[e0rt
February 26th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Hi,

Most application will store info in hidden files in your home folder ~/ ... Enable hidden files to be viewable and look for a folder like .Skype or something similar after you have removed the software... delete this folder and try again...

Please note that I don't know if this will work and I don't use Skype... but it is worth a shot ):P

squenson
February 26th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Here is a link (https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA142/How-do-I-delete-my-profile-or-Skype-Name?frompage=search&q=delete+account&fromSearchFirstPage=false) from Skype web site that explains how to proceed.

runeh76
February 26th, 2011, 12:12 PM
sudo apt-get autoremove --purge skype

ajgreeny
February 26th, 2011, 01:40 PM
You still need to remove or rename the hidden ~/.Skype folder in your home as that is where everything related to your skype subscription is stored locally on your computer.

mv .Skype .Skype.bak will do it for you but leave all the old data available if you should need it in .Skype.bak.