PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Linux kernel on 9.04

icegun
February 26th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Hi I am on Ubuntu 9.04 and have all the updates and I am running the linux kernel 2.6.28-18 generic on on my dual boot system. during the last few months i noticed when checking for update or installing new applications it tries to install the linux kernel 2.6.28-19 generic but fails to do so saying:-

"E: linux-image-2.6.28-19-generic: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
E: linux-restricted-modules-2.6.28-19-generic: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
E: linux-image-generic: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
E: linux-restricted-modules-generic: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
E: linux-generic: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured"

When I looked this up on net I was not able to find anything to give me a reasonable idea as to what is going wrong. Can anyone give me a clue as why this is happening and how I can sort it out. I was willing to try and upgrade to 9.10 or newer doing it one release at a time, but on the upgrade site it says it must be fully up to date and so with the kernel not being able to be updated I didn't want to try this unless it was advised.is 2.6.28-18 the latest kernel that your can go to on 9.04?

mörgæs
February 26th, 2011, 10:19 AM
9.04 is out of support, and it is probably a waste of time trying to upgrade. Rather go for a clean install of 10.04 or 10.10.