PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Using PlayOnLinux

manishlogan
February 26th, 2011, 07:53 AM
I am new to PlayOnLinux. Just installed it on Ubuntu 10.04. I have these doubts:
1) If there is a game in the list of supported games, then is it necessary to download it and install or I can install without downloading too?
2) If I can install without downloading, then how to do that?
3) Can I Install applications that are not supported by the POL?

ronnielsen1
February 26th, 2011, 11:36 AM
I use wine personally instead of play on linux but the rules should be the same

1) If there is a game in the list of supported games, then is it necessary to download it and install or I can install without downloading too?
2) If I can install without downloading, then how to do that?

You have to have the files so I would say yes

3) Can I Install applications that are not supported by the POL?

Absolutely, they may or may not work. It just means it's untested. I've added games to the winehq data base that work but that weren't listed.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&sTitle=Browse%20Applications&sOrderBy=appName&bAscending=true

manishlogan
February 26th, 2011, 02:34 PM
I use wine personally instead of play on linux but the rules should be the same

You have to have the files so I would say yes

Absolutely, they may or may not work. It just means it's untested. I've added games to the winehq data base that work but that weren't listed.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&sTitle=Browse%20Applications&sOrderBy=appName&bAscending=true
U didn't tell me how to install it without downloading. It asks for cd-rom, but I dnt have one.

realzippy
February 26th, 2011, 02:51 PM
You still have to download/install your games of course -or
did you think playonlinux has all the games "inside" ?

All it does (and this is much) is to provide a working wine environment for each game,means it configures wine for a special game,what differs extremely.

manishlogan
February 27th, 2011, 09:17 PM
I have the game, not on cd but my hard drive. Can u now tell me how to use it to install the game?

realzippy
February 28th, 2011, 08:48 AM
I do not know unless you tell us which game you want to run...

manishlogan
March 2nd, 2011, 01:35 PM
Counter Strike, Civilization V, NFS Hot Pursuit