PDA

View Full Version : Being comfortable in Linux

kop316
May 3rd, 2006, 01:58 AM
I'm curious as to what people would consider being proficient in Linux would entail. I have used it for about 2-3 months, and I have figured out for the most part how to preform most of the things I was able to do in Windows.
I know there is a lot more then just doing day to day tasks in Linux, but what would you say that would be?

TheCaptain
May 3rd, 2006, 02:08 AM
I have used *nix since the day of dawn (20 years+) and i don't feel comfortable in Linux.

The deal is quite simple though, pick a distro, stick with it, don't dual boot, work through your problems and expand your system, you may not need a dns server but set one up anyway to get the feel for the config files, there is always one easy way and a hard way, do it the hard way, edit the config files, this way, any distro you encounter, you'll know how to set it up.

Set up a local website with a complete ISP setup, go beyond your distro, find out about the scary stuff, clank up the security, learn how to make an IP-Tables firewall by making a config file for it, experience the frustration and the release when you find none of your downloaders work and then you opened the ports and made them work, use SELinux, know what it's good for and how it restricts you.

Set time based options, get involved with down to the ground usage, learn ever facet of your system so that you could easily replace Ubuntu with LFS or whatever is your choice.

Learn BASH! type man bash, try all commands, there is at least one page for every command there too, that will keep you busy.

And don't do any of it on a system you don't want to trash.

nalmeth
May 3rd, 2006, 02:11 AM
I think being proficient in linux means being able to efficiently perform your normal computing tasks, and knowing where the resources are to help you out, or give you info on how to improve and configure your system.
The knowledge comes after.
Being able to comfortably use linux daily is proficiency.

TheCaptain
May 3rd, 2006, 02:25 AM
I think being proficient in linux means being able to efficiently perform your normal computing tasks, and knowing where the resources are to help you out, or give you info on how to improve and configure your system.
The knowledge comes after.
Being able to comfortably use linux daily is proficiency.

Depends on what your use of the OS is. ;)

There is a LOT that you can do with Linux, some things harder, some things easier, i suggest that anyone interested start by understanding /etc, the files and how it works, it's not really that hard to move from distro to distro then, and Linux is quite the generic term.

Stormy Eyes
May 3rd, 2006, 04:09 AM
I'm curious as to what people would consider being proficient in Linux would entail.

When you can salvage a broken Linux machine without having to resort to reinstalling, you can call yourself proficient. :)

TheCaptain
May 3rd, 2006, 04:14 AM
When you can salvage a broken Linux machine without having to resort to reinstalling, you can call yourself proficient. :)

Depends on what you mean by salvage and by broken...

Anyone can fix a config file but editing the file table by hand is a tad trickier. ;)

I am, of course, just kidding, or am i. :D

aysiu
May 3rd, 2006, 04:16 AM
I've survived a full year on Linux (almost a year on Ubuntu) without being proficient. Proficiency's highly overrated.

briancurtin
May 3rd, 2006, 04:20 AM
I've survived a full year on Linux (almost a year on Ubuntu) without being proficient. Proficiency's highly overrated.
its all about satisficing

TheCaptain
May 3rd, 2006, 04:40 AM

Depends on what you are using it for... however, i have a feeling that if you needed to fix something you'd find a way to do it, maybe not the fastest or best way, but you'd fix it.

You know why? Because you got it, once you get it you could do pretty much anything, break anything and fix anything in the system, given time and reasonable resources of course, but you have gotten the feel for the system.

You wouldn't be lost, you would know where to look, once you have broken that barrier in Linux, you can do almost anything with it, even use it to pick up cute girls... nah... maybe not... or... :D

aysiu
May 3rd, 2006, 04:47 AM
Maybe it's just the Windows mentality that still lingers within me, but I usually go for a clean reinstall if I mess something up. I keep a separate documents partition, so it's no big deal.

Lately, though, I kind of like having a stable computer, so I have a separate (older) test computer for just testing stuff out, playing around, and breaking things.

TheCaptain
May 3rd, 2006, 05:03 AM
Maybe it's just the Windows mentality that still lingers within me, but I usually go for a clean reinstall if I mess something up. I keep a separate documents partition, so it's no big deal.

Lately, though, I kind of like having a stable computer, so I have a separate (older) test computer for just testing stuff out, playing around, and breaking things.

I have a slackware box that hasn't been reinstalled in 12 years, i'm using it as my main database server for adresses, it's got an old scsi barracuda in it, i had to soundproof the closet to be able to sleep with it running. :D

Personally, i wouldn't reinstall anything, not even XP unless i have thoroughly trashed the HDD, there is no reason to reinstall any OS unless you have wonked it, not even XP.

BoyOfDestiny
May 3rd, 2006, 05:10 AM
I'm curious as to what people would consider being proficient in Linux would entail. I have used it for about 2-3 months, and I have figured out for the most part how to preform most of the things I was able to do in Windows.
I know there is a lot more then just doing day to day tasks in Linux, but what would you say that would be?

I think I'm there. I can do what I need/want to do. There is the GUI and there is CLI. I use both now. Scripting repetitive tasks is great. Compiling is much easier than it's ever been for me.

Everything is setup as I like. All my stuff works 100%...

It's hard to describe. It feels like home (/home? ;) )

htinn
May 3rd, 2006, 06:03 AM
My comfort level is pretty much dictated by how quickly I can reinstall and be up to speed with a fresh new system.

I just did that with this system the other day, and I'm now down to about an hour from the time I boot the install disc to posting on this forum like nothing happened. :)

IYY
May 3rd, 2006, 06:06 AM
It's a very difficult question, since one could keep learning and learning, always discovering new levels of complexity. Contrast this to an OS like Windows with which you can be comfortable in a week, but not go any further. Linux doesn't have a limit, so unless you stop learning, you will never be 100% comfortable because you'll be discovering new areas.

In your first week you may learn how to use various GUIs.
In the second you may learn some terminal commands.
In the third you may learn scripting.

Fast forward 6 years: you could either stop learning, or be doing more and more complicated things like writing drivers and kernel code.