PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Lubuntu freeze on install

fury94
February 26th, 2011, 05:59 AM
Hello,

New to Linux but already installed Ubuntu 10.04 (not Lubuntu) on the laptop I'm using to write this message.

I would like to install Lubuntu 10.10 on my IBM Netvista 933MHz, 256MB RAM, 15GB HDD. So I burned a CD and booted, chose English, chose to Install Lubuntu from the menu. I get the Lubuntu logo with highlighted dots animating, then the graphical desktop popped up, with an arrow mouse cursor I can control for some seconds while the CD is still being loaded. Finally I get a different mouse cursor, a wait watch one, and then it freezes with no message.

This PC does not have any network card, but it has a USB card to add 4 USB 2.0 ports. It was running Windows 2000 before trying to install so it is functional.

Any help with clues on what to try or what information to look for would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

whatthefunk
February 26th, 2011, 06:02 AM
Try doing an install with the Alternate Install CD/USB. The normal one is graphic heavy and tends to freeze up on older machines.

fury94
February 26th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Try doing an install with the Alternate Install CD/USB. The normal one is graphic heavy and tends to freeze up on older machines.

Thanks! That was the solution. The Alternate Install seemed to be necessary even though I had "plenty" of RAM compared to what I read in the instructions.

Love my new Lubuntu, really slim and quick :D

mörgæs
February 26th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Good. Please mark the thread 'solved' using 'thread tools'.