PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Error logging in

max3445
February 26th, 2011, 05:32 AM
i recently installed ubuntu 10.10 on a old pc i have lying around, a Dell Dimension 2100. install was rough, i skilled the whole "installing selected software" because once i complete downloading or extracting the info from the disk, it gives me a error and a option to skip it to install "grub loader". also i installed via disk

my problem is, i cant login once i was completed with the installation, i come to a black screen with a prompt asking me for username/password. i type in username fine but when i type in password, not characters seem to be entered, and also it says incorrect password. i have tried every possible type of login and it wouldnt work for me.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2nlzkll.jpg

solved changed changed pass to without numbers

mörgæs
February 26th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Hi, welcome to the fora.

This is an older machine. How much memory does it have?

You will not see anything on the screen, not even dots, when entering the password. This is normal.

Are you using the exact user name and password you created during install? Caps lock, maybe?

max3445
February 26th, 2011, 07:00 PM
yes i have entered in many times with caps and without caps the exact same password over and over again. and could you please further define "flora"?
i have a 40gb hard drive. and im not sure about ram.

max3445
February 26th, 2011, 09:02 PM
i have reinstalled 3 times already and still no progress, still cant log in?

mörgæs
February 27th, 2011, 10:42 PM
I can not tell why the login fails, but another matter: I guess you are short on RAM, so I would pick Lubuntu rather than Ubuntu anyway. You could try a reinstall of this:

www.lubuntu.net

Don't let the ugly web site scare you away. It is a great system.

Fora is forum in plural. I know some people write 'forums', but I can not bring myself to doing that.

max3445
March 27th, 2011, 08:55 PM
thank you, i will try downloading it and see if it will work.

max3445
April 2nd, 2011, 09:14 AM
i have burned lubuntu onto a disk from a .iso but when the pc boot's, it doesnt load the disk, it goes straight to the login screen from my above post?

mörgæs
April 2nd, 2011, 10:07 AM
Have you checked boot settings in the BIOS?