PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu freeze on installation - help

genelong
February 26th, 2011, 12:29 AM
Hi, I'm entirely new to Ubuntu and the whole unix/linux world.

I downloaded Ubuntu 10.10, loaded onto a CD as per instructions, booted it up on an eMachine. I selected Use Entire Disk, as I was okay wiping out the old Windows system.

The install copied a bunch of files, asked for username/password, etc. Then it froze with a lot of small colored lines on the screen. I've booted twice now with the same results. No error messages or anything else to go on. Where do I go from here?

I just tried again, this time booting from the CD, then installing from the menu. It froze right after choosing the time zone, same screen, short horizontal colored lines.

just tried again, selected full installation, and it got through it! I booted, got online, everything looked good, got into my email - then sudden freeze with another colored screen of lines. Booted again, got in, looked around, and about 5 min into it, crashed again on a totally different activity.

Seems to be random crashes - any ideas what's going on?

acrazyplayer
February 27th, 2011, 12:43 AM
random crashes? sounds like bad ram to me, try running memtest from the live cd\usb and let it run for about an hour or more and if it has *any* errors then that is bad ram. however keep in mind that I once had the same thing happen with every OS I tried, used memtest and got no errors but still knew it was the ram just because of how random it was. Changing the ram fixed the random crashes for me

Darkness Des
February 27th, 2011, 12:45 AM
Make sure that you burned the ISO at a speed the disc supports, I have done this incorrectly before and gotten the same error.