PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] backup <-> restore question

attilab
February 25th, 2011, 11:58 PM
My wife's Asus cube box ubuntu/XP dual boot,
2 years ago I've made a backup of entire C: XP partition with Clonezilla Live. The time arrived to use that backuppackage and restore it, but after couple days playing with restore I couldn't make the boot again, something wasn't right with the MBR. Tried the boot GRUB, tried the dozens of advises from googlesearch typing in terminal, but :(
Yes, I made a change on number of partitions and the C: partition size is not the same, but again the first partition is the first one regardless of the size. So ended up re-formating the whole thing again and again and again (and hope last time).
Right now it is a fresh install, loading the XP and staffing it up to the family needs (I would want to simulate a sort of DATA server (movies, music, data and blablabla, but no knowledge and no time to google search hundreds of posts how to do it in ubuntu, I didn't meant to create a hobby from it, I want it up running and forget about it).
What I want to ask is "beside Clonezilla (and Norton Ghost), is something out there that I can visually (GUI) control better, to pick up quickly maybe for one time use only". Clonezilla might be nice but not on the friendliest side, not for me, running through the menus w/o back button takes extra :confused:.
any suggestions? thanks in advance.