PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hot swapping hard drives while in the OS

taylortots275
February 25th, 2011, 11:55 PM
I was curious to see if there was a quick terminal command to detect hard drives attached directly to the motherboard. I recently installed Ubuntu 10.04 on a spare machine at my work to do data transfers with. It would be rather tedious to continually restart every time we need to detect another hard drive. This machine does not have an internet connection so I can't fetch any external packages (or at least I don't want the break down the station to move it just yet).

Thanks in advance
Taylor

jim Kane
February 26th, 2011, 12:12 AM
I was curious to see if there was a quick terminal command to detect hard drives attached directly to the motherboard. I recently installed Ubuntu 10.04 on a spare machine at my work to do data transfers with. It would be rather tedious to continually restart every time we need to detect another hard drive. This machine does not have an internet connection so I can't fetch any external packages (or at least I don't want the break down the station to move it just yet).

Thanks in advance
Taylor

could you not use a ide/sata to usb adaptor
or have i misunderstood what you need to do..

mike

taylortots275
February 26th, 2011, 12:57 AM
Sure, but internal SATA connection would be faster.

I have the side of my machine taken off so I have direct access to the SATA ports on the motherboard. Whenever I need to do a data transfer, I simply connect the drive to one of the SATA cables and power. Ubuntu doesn't auto-detect the hard drive when it is plugged in directly to the motherboard. I was wondering if there was a terminal command to detect new hard drives and mount the it without restarting the computer.

Paqman
February 26th, 2011, 01:00 AM
Ubuntu doesn't auto-detect the hard drive when it is plugged in directly to the motherboard.

It should do. Make sure you plug in the data cable before the power one. Might be worth checking your BIOS settings, too.

Trevster
February 26th, 2011, 01:20 AM
To detect the new drive run fdisk as root.

sudo fdisk -l

You will have to mount the harddrive manually. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mount

taylortots275
February 26th, 2011, 06:11 AM
Excellent advise, I'll try one or all of them in the morning when I head back into work.

tb