PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to 64bit Question Bout Backup 32bit

silverwolf636
February 25th, 2011, 10:05 PM
My new build is almost here. I am backing up my system but I want to do it with minimal dvds.
I have two sata drives in my 32bit machine now; a 500G and a 250G. I use the 500G for the operating system which is formated ext4, sda1. This drive will be totally reformatted with Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid 64bit. My second drive, 250G, is ext4, sdb1. I'm thinking that I can copy everything I need to backup to the sdb1 and install it as the second drive in my new build without having to reformat it and lose everything. Am I correct on this?
Thanks gang,
--ray--

oldfred
February 26th, 2011, 01:42 AM
The drive should install and work just fine. If it is a bootable device, then you may have video issues if you installed a proprietary driver and the new build uses a different driver.

I rebuilt my system with a new motherboard, and newer nVidia card and the drive rebooted without issue. My XP install complained and I had to get permission from BillG to allow it to run. And the permission screen was hidden behind an error about not getting on the internet which the permission screen was preventing. Many reboots later XP did finally work, but it was the final nail in the coffin.