PDA

View Full Version : Game Maker

Armaeddon
February 25th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Has anyone ever used Game Maker 8? Does anyone know if the Lite version is worth my time, or if i should spend $25 dollars on it? It seems very interesting. Does anyone have something similar that may work better?

-----

This is the windows version as an ubuntu version does not yet exist

nvteighen
February 26th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Has anyone ever used Game Maker 8? Does anyone know if the Lite version is worth my time, or if i should spend $25 dollars on it? It seems very interesting. Does anyone have something similar that may work better?

-----

This is the windows version as an ubuntu version does not yet exist

In my experience with it, you can install a lot of great extensions into the Lite version to get features similar to the Pro ones or even better than them.

Of its kind, it's possibly the best.

Now, I'm not sure how much programming do such programs teach. IMO, GM suffers the same issue as Visual Basic. The best GM games I've seen are made by people that already knew how to program and coded the whole logic in GML scripts and used the GUI tools just for that... But you'll see that GM encourages beginners to start coding everything using the GUI tools, mixing interface and implementation, for the sake of "simplicity". In other words, GM isn't a bad idea, but it stresses the wrong features.

Armaeddon
February 26th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Nice, thanks. I just wish GM would support C++ coding too, seeing as that's the only language i currently know.