View Full Version : [ubuntu] Why did they take out tab home page option from Firefox 3.6.13?

February 25th, 2011, 07:22 PM
I was just wondering if anyone knew why this option was taken out of Firefox. We can no longer go to to the about:config to tell Firefox to open my homepage in a new tab. This is very annoying. I know about the add-ons but I hate installing more stuff just to do this one task. In any case, I did that and I don't know if one of the add-ons was crashing my system because it seems fine now after my third clean install. I've only use about 3 add-on's max. I'm on the 64bit version now. I just wished they put this back on there because it sure was very helpful and like I mentioned earlier, I just don't use the add-ons.

I ask because I have been reading and trying to find if there was a way to change this in Firefox, but right now I guess it's only doable with an add on which I prefer not to install. If anyone knows please let me know. If not I guess it's time to move on to another browser. Thanks.

February 25th, 2011, 08:44 PM
I don't know if this is the advice you are looking for, but I am using Firefox4 beta and I can middle click on my homepage button and it will open my homepage in a new tab. If it works in your version of Firefox, you could always middle click on your homepage instead of clicking on the new tab button.
Hope this helps.

February 25th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Thanks, but my middle button doesn't work on the home or new tab so I guess that may be a 4 feature...actually my middle button doesn't do anything no matter what I click on, even links. I should also clarify that I was testing the other latest version of Ubuntu, I think it was 10.10 and just had too many problems with it which is why I went back to the lts version. In any case I'm still testing the machine to make sure it's nothing else going bonkers. So far though, no crashes yet, but debian also crashed on me, so we'll see.

March 16th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Since this post is beyond dated, no doubt you've now found the solution (or this was fixed in a subsequent release) However, for others, who like myself, stumbled in here looking for the answer, I offer this:

The Options tab wasn't taken out; it was simply renamed and moved to another location. As of FF 3.5.16 the information is located under Edit/Preferences/ in your FF toolbar. Hope that helps someone.

March 16th, 2011, 08:25 PM
In 3.6.15 on Ubuntu 10.10, middle-clicking on the 'Home' button works just fine for me. Not sure what would cause that to cease functioning for you. In any case, if you're looking for functionality that was removed and you're really opposed to installing the add-on (understandable if it was causing crashes), your only option would be to downgrade to a version that still has it.

Sorry to hear about all of your system crashes. If it's happening on a clean install of any OS, I wouldn't rule out a hardware problem.