PDA

View Full Version : no answer

kp goin
February 25th, 2011, 05:30 PM
What can I do if I do not receive a solution or a response to a problem I have posted on one of the forums?

clancymf
February 25th, 2011, 05:34 PM
you google it, try to figure it out, keep searching forums as I dont your the only one with the problem, and when you do find a solution you post it so someone else in your shoes has the solution without having to do the work.

s.fox
February 25th, 2011, 05:36 PM
What can I do if I do not receive a solution or a response to a problem I have posted on one of the forums?

If it has been more than 24 hours since the last post you may wish to bump the thread by posting:

bump

gintovan
February 25th, 2011, 06:43 PM
I don't know if you are talking about a specific topic so...

Describe the problem better? and in the correct forum section?
And as said if it has pasted 24 hours with no reply, you could bump it to give it another chance.

And slightly off topic; I have myself posted (on linux forums) a question maybe 2 or 3 times in the 8 years I have used GNU/Linux. The rest of my problems have been found through search on forums and google.
Especially here on ubuntuforums most problems have been asked and fixed many times. It's so convenient, that search button :D

HermanAB
February 25th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Simple:
http://google.com/linux

Just like everybody else...

cariboo
February 25th, 2011, 07:27 PM
You don't have to stick with the forums when seeking an answer to a question, unless your question is about an Ubuntu specific application, what works for most other distributions will work for an Ubuntu/Debian based distribution. You could also check out Ask Ubuntu (http://askubuntu.com/).

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 25th, 2011, 09:01 PM

I only saw two requests for help from you.

1) The problem with "yelp". Someone entered the the same command; however, yelp worked. You never followed up with any additional information regarding the problem, other than referring back to your original post.

Edit: I also entered the yelp command and got the same error messages you did; however, yelp worked. I couldn't reproduce your problem; therefore, I couldn't help you.

2) The other problem regarding Ubuntu 10.10, Firefox 3.6.13, and NoScript 2.0.9.8. You never responded to the suggested solution provided. Did it work or not?

If you do not respond to replies; then, we will assume your problem is solved.

koenn
February 25th, 2011, 10:12 PM
@Old_Gray_Wolf : I wonder if you'll get a reply from the OP :)

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 25th, 2011, 10:48 PM
@Old_Gray_Wolf : I wonder if you'll get a reply from the OP :)
http://cwlclan.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/roflmao.gif

I will wait for one. I am subscribed to the thread.

Lucradia
February 25th, 2011, 10:51 PM
http://cwlclan.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/roflmao.gif

I will wait for it. I am monitoring the thread.

Aren't smileycentral stuff laced with malware? :V

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 25th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Aren't smileycentral stuff laced with malware? :V

The smiley is not from smileycentral. :)

Lucradia
February 25th, 2011, 11:04 PM
The smiley is not from smileycentral. :)

I know, but due to them being similar in looks, it probably was stolen from a malware inducing smiley site. (They don't allow you to view the source of the smilies, as they require you to install the software. I should know, I've spoken with support from them.)

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 25th, 2011, 11:09 PM
I know, but due to them being similar in looks, it probably was stolen from a malware inducing smiley site. (They don't allow you to view the source of the smilies, as they require you to install the software. I should know, I've spoken with support from them.)

It is a link to a smiley. I didn't install any software. :confused:

Edit: I can download the gif and edit it with GIMP if I choose. Oh, @Lucradia, I just read your signature, and I understand your paranoia now. If just viewing a smiley on a website can infect your computer with mallware, then you have serious security issues with your computer.

kp goin
February 26th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Thank you all for your replies. The reason for the question was to make sure I didn't unknowingly violate the Forums' Code of Conduct by being over persistent in the search for an answer.
A few respondents referenced "bump the thread". Could someone explain that?

earthpigg
February 26th, 2011, 08:24 PM

post in the thread again, and it will jump to the top of the list of threads within that forum thus increasing the chances of a passerbye seeing your thread and helping.

don't just say 'bump', though -- check to see if there are any additional details you can provide or questions from others that you can answer about the problem.

Shpongle
February 27th, 2011, 02:59 AM
also try here http://askubuntu.com/

DougieFresh4U
February 27th, 2011, 03:14 AM
Thank you all for your replies. The reason for the question was to make sure I didn't unknowingly violate the Forums' Code of Conduct by being over persistent in the search for an answer.

and you really haven't answered any ones question or provided any more info than your original post :D:D

kp goin
February 28th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Thank you again.
kp goin