PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] a couple of doubts..

John Galt
February 25th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Hello respected members,

I migrated to ubuntu from windows a few months and now fully convinced that it was the best decision.

Before I put forward my doubts, my computer configuration is as follows:

asrock 845gv chipset mobo
512 ram
p4 2.4 ghz
40+80 gb hdd
cd/dvd combo drive
nvidia geforce 4 mx 4000 graphics card

The doubts are as below:

1) although i did install ubuntu, (it is a completely different thing that i had to put in a blacklist command in vga mode.) It works out of the box, no drivers are needed as of now, but do i have to install a third party driver for my graphics card from the software repository? When installing ubuntu, the screen did show a few commands which had the tag nvidia in them. Is it that nvidia drivers come bundled with the installation?

2) I did install restricted extras, but i am not able to play dvds. Do need install anything else? Will i be able to play dvds with totem?

Please advise...

seawolf167
February 25th, 2011, 02:29 PM
To play DVDs you'll need to do the following

Open a terminal, Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal

Then type the following commands in:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
sudo apt-get install libdvdread4
sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.shAs for your video card drivers, go here (http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-ia32-96.43.19-driver.html), download and install the proprietary drivers directly from Nvidia

philinux
February 25th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Hello respected members,

I migrated to ubuntu from windows a few months and now fully convinced that it was the best decision.

Before I put forward my doubts, my computer configuration is as follows:

asrock 845gv chipset mobo
512 ram
p4 2.4 ghz
40+80 gb hdd
cd/dvd combo drive
nvidia geforce 4 mx 4000 graphics card

The doubts are as below:

1) although i did install ubuntu, (it is a completely different thing that i had to put in a blacklist command in vga mode.) It works out of the box, no drivers are needed as of now, but do i have to install a third party driver for my graphics card from the software repository? When installing ubuntu, the screen did show a few commands which had the tag nvidia in them. Is it that nvidia drivers come bundled with the installation?

2) I did install restricted extras, but i am not able to play dvds. Do need install anything else? Will i be able to play dvds with totem?

Please advise...

For the graphics driver I would personally try this.

System>admin> additional driver or it might be Hardware drivers depending on the version of ubuntu you installed.

See if it offers to install an nvidia driver.

John Galt
February 26th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Thanks, problem solved.

This is exactly why I say migrating to ubuntu as the best decision ever.

People helping people, everyone as one.

Keep it up guys.

Thanks again