PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Uninstall unneeded graphics drivers

Kognit
February 25th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Hi

I have intel GMA 4500M graphic card. In synaptic package manager i found out that there are a bunch of installed packages for nvidia and ATI. I was wondering if i can delete this files since i have INTEL graphic card. Any recommendations for uninstalling unneeded files?

zenwalker
February 25th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Use the package manager to remove those packages.

Kognit
February 25th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Could be any problem with uninstalling these files? Moreover, do you have any suggestions if there are any installed packages that most users won't needed it (like these unneeded graphic drivers), because i want to clean up my system.

Lianli
March 23rd, 2011, 12:13 AM
There are many many packages that are installed that you probably don't need. Ubuntu works for most systems out of the box so to speak because of the integration of so many drivers installed by default. There are alot of metapackages that can safely be uninstalled that are only used to pull in other packages that you may or may not need. For me, this is the downside of using Ubuntu. I have to live with a lot of stuff I don't need, or don't want, due to the high integration ubuntu has with dependencies. On the up side, Ubuntu is easy to configure and install, or upgrade. It's like a low maitenence linux, verses others I used that require alot of configuring, tweaking and high up keep during package updates etc..

Frogs Hair
March 23rd, 2011, 01:14 AM
Proceed with caution and pay attention to any warning messages . In the future you may want to consider minimal installations .https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

Kognit
March 23rd, 2011, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the info. For some time now i am thinking of minimalCD or expert mode install. Some time ago i have installed ArchLinux and i was really surprised how fast the system can be if you install only the stuff you need.

Dutch70
March 23rd, 2011, 10:58 AM
You can also solve that with "start up apps". It's under system > preferences > start up applications.

I don't think it really matters so much what you have installed, as what you have starting up & running, such as visual assistance & bluetooth manager, if you don't need them.

realzippy
March 23rd, 2011, 11:22 AM
...do not expect your system running faster when uninstalling those not needed drivers.All you achieve is a little more disc space...

Kognit
March 23rd, 2011, 12:39 PM
Does anyone know how to speed up Ubuntu (beside tips of startup apps)? Perhaps disable some daemons?

Dutch70
March 23rd, 2011, 12:46 PM
Uninstalling Compiz may help.

Kognit
March 23rd, 2011, 12:49 PM
I concur but i really like compiz and rather have a little bit slower computer. But i don't think that compiz has much to do with. With ArchLinux i have enabled compiz and is much more faster.

Maybe i should compare daemons behind.

Dutch70
March 23rd, 2011, 12:58 PM
Can't say I blame you :P.

I have to follow the link in my sig to keep my computer from randomly freezing & requiring a reboot.
Although the workaround in post #22 works flawlessly.

I don't think you've mentioned your computer specs. :-k

Kognit
March 23rd, 2011, 01:09 PM
My specs are:
laptop ASUS k50ij, intel duo t3000, 2gb ram, 320 gb HDD, graphic: INTEL GMA 4500M

Dutch70
March 23rd, 2011, 01:27 PM
See if you can get any good info out of this thread. I didn't read the entire thing.
http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=18739 (http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=18739)

Kognit
March 23rd, 2011, 01:44 PM
Thanks for infos but the thread wasn't of any help. It is about really really slow environment. My Ubuntu isn't really slow i just want to be a little bit faster and i am wondering which daemons could be disabled.