PDA

View Full Version : Really funny true story

usagiakumu
February 25th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I am not entirely sure where to post this so I will just post this juicy bit here.

Man Microsoft is going rogue on it's paying customers.

I bought an Acer with an OEM attached. The OS in question: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1. I obviously removed the default installation of 64 bit Windows to use 32 bit because it only has 2 gig of ram. After the installation of Service Pack 1, Windows deactivates, this wouldn't be so bad if it reactivated. Upon re-installation of the OEM software I had backed up using the 64 bit OS which comes preactivated, also deactivates and refuses to activate.

I have already put enough work into trying to make this work and with Microsoft's already tainted history, I can assure you, this somewhat minor issue is enough to even further drive the adoption of Linux. Thank you Microsoft for being FOSS's and Linux's best friend.

Obviously I can use Windows 7 Gold and the issue wont happen ever again, but the machine is now running Ubuntu 10.10. I would just rather not deal with the headache.

zenwalker
February 25th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Did you not try to contact MS or your vendor to get it activated? or atleats report the problem?

usagiakumu
February 25th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Did you not try to contact MS or your vendor to get it activated? or atleats report the problem?

I did, I called 1800-Microsoft and reported it.

I am not going to fight with trying to get Windows to work, when Ubuntu works just fine. Like I said earlier Windows 7 Gold is absolutely fine and even with the KB971033 update. The issue is somewhere in SP1. I actually bought the PC with Linux in mind, it was only $298 at Wal-Mart with a dual core AMD proc and 2 gig of 1333 DDR3 ram. I figured what the heck, run Windows until I get a virus or get sick of it then use Ubuntu. So this really doesn't anger me, I just find it comical in a cosmic sort of sense.

zenwalker
February 25th, 2011, 09:51 AM
I actually bought the PC with Linux in mindYou bought the PC with the **** on it (win 7) and you paid for that as well. So thats where you should hve avoided in the first place to buy winnie

Tristam Green
February 25th, 2011, 03:38 PM
You bought the PC with Linux in mind, yet proceeded to gripe when your plan to 'settle' backfired?

Shoulda just saved yourself the headache and installed what you wanted installed from the beginning. Then we wouldn't have to listen to silly gripes.

Copper Bezel
February 25th, 2011, 04:40 PM
I don't think it's a gripe, because he obviously doesn't care. It's more of a "ha-ha Windows."

You bought the PC with the sh** on it (win 7) and you paid for that as well. So thats where you should hve avoided in the first place to buy winnieDual core for $300? Unless you're just going out of your way to avoid supporting Microsoft, that's not a bad deal (for the couple of months an Acer lasts, natch.) As has been stated many times in this forum, it can be extraordinarily difficult to get hardware without Windows installed.

For my part, it just adds the chance to get a sense of satisfaction watching the formatting progress bar on the initial Ubuntu install. That's not so much for Windows itself but for the vendor-branded bloatware that comes with factory Windows installs. It's nice to think that it was there and that I'm making it not.

RiceMonster
February 25th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Let me get this straight.

You downgraded Windows 7 64 bit to 32 bit, because you have 2GB ram? That doesn't make any sense.

Plumtreed
February 25th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Now that's a funny story:confused:

Tristam Green
February 25th, 2011, 04:55 PM
I don't think it's a gripe, because he obviously doesn't care. It's more of a "ha-ha Windows."

Probably, which is equally-if-not-more silly.

sydbat
February 25th, 2011, 04:56 PM
You bought the PC with Linux in mind, yet proceeded to gripe when your plan to 'settle' backfired?

Shoulda just saved yourself the headache and installed what you wanted installed from the beginning. Then we wouldn't have to listen to silly gripes.

Let me get this straight.

You downgraded Windows 7 64 bit to 32 bit, because you have 2GB ram? That doesn't make any sense.These.

usagiakumu
February 25th, 2011, 05:18 PM
I don't think it's a gripe, because he obviously doesn't care. It's more of a "ha-ha Windows."It is actually. It made me laugh then installing Linux was awesome.

You downgraded Windows 7 64 bit to 32 bit, because you have 2GB ram? That doesn't make any sense.It makes a lot of sense because even after uninstalling all the bloat-ware I was sitting at 76% ram usage.

I didn't try to settle on Windows at all, just wanted to see how long it would last. For a few months $300 is a super good deal, go ahead and part it out. Even with AMD you go way over the $300 limit. Not using Atom because Atom doesn't count, too slow. Plus now I can sell the sticker to a friend of mine who wants Windows 7 for like $80 and make a few dollars in the process.