PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] downgrade to 10.10 from early upgrade 11.04

BrittanF
February 25th, 2011, 08:21 AM
I recently installed the early upgrade from Ubuntu 10.10 to 11.04. For some reason my system didn't fully install the full upgrade. I can't run anything unless I start it in worksafe low graphics version. I tried several times to complete the download or install updates but with no success.

I'm wondering if there's a way to downgrade back to 10.10. I tried downloading the version off the ubuntu site but my new os doesn't seem to have file browser. Any folder I open automatically opens in archive manager so I can't burn to disk or move to a usb.

Is there perhaps a way to just run install for 10.10 directly from the download. I don't need to save any of my current files so that's not a major concern. I just want a fully functional os again. 11.04 is still too buggy.

zvacet
February 25th, 2011, 01:58 PM
To complete upgrade di you tried

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

sudo apt-get -f install
sudo dpkg --configure -a

If nothing of above works tray to open Brasero( it is under sound & video) and then select iso for burning.

Kiean
February 25th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Most Linux magazines come with a ubuntu live cd I think that's prObaly the best way to downgrade

Frogs Hair
February 25th, 2011, 03:34 PM
A downgrade is not possible , you can complete the upgrade or reinstall.

yungballla6
April 23rd, 2011, 10:35 PM
hi. I installed ubuntu 11.04 beta 2 and I messed around with compiz and now I can barely do anything without the screen becomming frozen or not being able to exit any app. I was wondering if its possibleto fix this.

Thank you

Nickname1
April 28th, 2011, 11:43 PM
I have the same problem but before i login if i chose "ubuntu classic" it works just fine. I too am wondering if there is a way to fix this problem.

Scorp_X
May 1st, 2011, 09:10 PM
A downgrade is not possible , you can complete the upgrade or reinstall.

I have the same problem, I reinstalled version 11.04 from the cd, but the problem is not fixed... I will reinstall 10.10....

mk169474
May 2nd, 2011, 04:16 PM
When Ubuntu (Unity) loads I get a message 'unable to detect system tray'.Also played with compiz config. I see only my wallpaper, Alt+F2 doesn't work, no dash, no panels. Rigth mouse click works fine, F1 button opens help and all I get from Unity so far. Ubuntu Classic works fine so far. Any ideas?
tnx

mk169474
May 2nd, 2011, 05:30 PM
Added CCSM shortcut on desktop while in Ubuntu Classic version, then started CCSM in Ubuntu Unity and turned Ubuntu Unity Plugin on.

treerink
June 9th, 2011, 02:11 PM
I successfully downgraded from 11.04 to 10.10. All files and settings were unaffected, but those packages installed extra with the Synaptic Package Manager and with Ubuntu Software Center, you have to install again. But I must say it works even better then before. Really happy with 10.10 again. Also under Ubuntu Classic (you can chose at user-login) 11.04 was quite unstable.

See this instruction:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGnsYuWS0xY&feature=related
And take care (as mentioned in the instruction) that the username and the machine name are equal to before (saves troubles later)
After the restart take the 2.6.35-28-generic-pae option in the boot menu instead of the 2.6.38-8-generic-pae (which probably is the default on top of the boot list). In the other distributions all kind of things like sound and wireless don't work)

To make this 2.6.35-28-generic-pae the default, the easiest way is first to install the startupmanager by:
System -> Administartion -> Synaptic Package Manager -> search: startupmanager -> apply
and then adjust the default distribution to boot by:
System -> Administartion -> StartUp-Manager -> ..wait a bit... ( -> Boot options ) --> Default operating system -> chose from the drop-down menu: 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.35-28-generic-pae'
If you have a duo-boot with windows7, you can here chose windows7 as the default as well of course.
(keywords: ubuntu 10.10 boot order edit, see http://www.hackourlife.com/change-default-boot-order-for-grub-in-ubuntu-10-10-maverick-meerkat/)