PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Netbook Installation Hangs/Crashes

Zythyr
February 25th, 2011, 06:30 AM
I am trying to install on Ubuntu Netbook on my MSI Wind U123.

I downloaded the latest version of Ubuntu Netbook and followed the proper directions to create an installation USB.

During installation, I got up to the step where it tells me to have: atleast 2.5GB available, make sure power cord is plugged in, and that I am connected to the internet. When I click on, "Forward" to continue the installation, it just hang/freezes.

I have similar problem when trying to install JoliCloud. When installing JoliCloud, I get up to step 3, where it asks about the keyboard. When I click "Forward", it doesn't do anything, it just hangs.

*I tired using multiple different USB drive, and also downloaded ISO file again to ensure the file wasn't corrupted.*

Zythyr
February 27th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Help please?

Zythyr
February 28th, 2011, 08:20 PM
I fixed this issue, I managed to successfully install both Ubuntu and JoliCloud. The issue was that I previously had installed Mac on my netbook, formatted with GUID partition scheme. When I wiped out the hard drive by installing Windows 7, there was some corruption between GPT and MBR. This cuased GParted to keep crashing in Ubuntu and other dirsto during installation.

I fixed the issue using GDisk based on this post: http://georgia.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9866163&postcount=8

I am still having one issue, can someone please help me how to resolve it?

After installation of Windows, Ubuntu, and JoliCloud. I have three partitions now with the following installations.
Partition 1: Windows 7
Partition 2: Ubuntu
Partition 3: JoliCloud

JoliCloud installed GRUB as the bootloader. Every time I try to boot into JoliCloud, I get the following error:

Alert! /dev/disk/by-uuid/xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xx$ does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

I can boot into Ubuntu with no issue.

When I try to boot into Windows 7, I get an error. I am sure I can fix that error by inserting Windows 7's install USB and using the repair tool.