PDA

View Full Version : diving deeper into linux- where to start?

Dustin2128
February 25th, 2011, 04:05 AM
I'm wanting to learn as much as I possibly can about linux in general, mostly bash and cryptography in particular. I've used slackware for a few years, and exclusively for a few months, which helped me to wet my feet so to speak, but I'm kind of lost as to where to go to next. I'm relatively proficient in the CLI, but what I know, basics of vi(m), emacs, and scripting is miniscule compared to what I'd like to know. I'd be learning from scratch on cryptography though. So, any ideas on where to go?

JDShu
February 25th, 2011, 04:43 AM
If you know C, you could always read the kernel code. Or just pick up a book on operating systems.

NightwishFan
February 25th, 2011, 05:19 AM
I just read a nice book today about the kernel, it was a bit dated but still correct for 99% of stuff. You can find them at medium size book stores.

Dustin2128
February 25th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I just read a nice book today about the kernel, it was a bit dated but still correct for 99% of stuff. You can find them at medium size book stores.
heh, I live in the eastern end of nowhere. I'll see if I can find a book or two though, any recommendations?

cariboo
February 26th, 2011, 04:19 AM
THere is a lot of good free documentation at the Linux Documentation Porject (http://tldp.org/)