PDA

View Full Version : [Windows] How do I remove a driver which is required at startup

ki4jgt
February 25th, 2011, 02:53 AM
Didn't know where this belonged. Didn't see any windows specific support and have been on numerous windows related forums to no avail. I'll post and then no one will answer :-( so hoped you guys could help me. :-(

So, my dad just ordered a wireless usb device off of Ebay. It's all good (We had Ubuntu Linux) and it worked great with Ubuntu. to tell you the truth, I haven't touched XP in 3-4 years. Now, Ubuntu is changing it's look and dad wants to go back to XP (Computer challenged) Now, I'm trying to make the USB wireless device work. I've already, reinstalled windows twice, each time, I just got so frustrated at it I wanted to throw it out in the rain.
Here's what it's doing:

I installed XP
I inserted the disc which contained the drivers.
I copied the drivers
I plugged in the device
I installed the driver
I enabled Wireless Zero Configuration
I restarted the computer
I got the bluescreen of death !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The system message included the driver, so when I go to uninstall it, I couldn't b/c it was required at start up I've had problems like this every time I've reinstalled Windows XP. It just keeps getting worse. Like the first time I installed XP, when I tried to install the wifi driver software, I got a blue screen.

I have gotten it to work with the WZC, but I had to uninstall everything, even the driver, after I had installed it‽

Some how it worked then??

Like I said, I was tired of dealing with problems like this with XP, so I switched to Linux. Every month I used anti virus and had OVER 500 infected files on my computer. I know one month I had well over 1000 infected files

The blue screen of death only comes on when I insert the USB device, but I can't unistall the driver b/c it's needed at startup‽

But as the title says: How can I uninstall a driver needed at startup?

BigCityCat
February 25th, 2011, 02:57 AM
There are tons of windows forums on the net.

ki4jgt
February 25th, 2011, 03:01 AM
I've already been to three in the past 3 hours. I get a lot of views, but no response, but anyway, I'm just very frustrated and probably pretty close to trolling b/c of all the anger I feel right now. But anyway, all anger put aside. No one knows what's going on, or how to fix it :-(

Khakilang
February 25th, 2011, 06:43 AM
First thing you need to do is to install the motherboard chipset driver. I am sure your computer come with an installation CD. Use it than only install the rest of the drivers. Hope this help.

zenwalker
February 25th, 2011, 06:56 AM
You could get banned for violating the RULES you know. This isnt the place to discuss the windows stuffs nor is the mac.

Well blame ballmer for this :D

pbpersson
February 25th, 2011, 07:10 AM
When I have a problem in Windows with hardware - any hardware - I go to the web site for the manufacturer and click on the support link - guaranteed they support Windows, everyone does. :)

unknownPoster
February 25th, 2011, 07:47 AM
You could get banned for violating the RULES you know. This isnt the place to discuss the windows stuffs nor is the mac.

Show me where the OP violates the rules. I bet you can't.

Giant Speck
February 25th, 2011, 09:51 AM

Have you even read the rules, by chance? Discussing Windows and/or requesting help with a Windows problem is not against the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.

Granted, since the closing of the Ubuntu Forums Other OS subforum, Ubuntu Forums has become a less appropriate place to ask such questions, but that doesn't mean they aren't or shouldn't be allowed. I think we can all be civil and give help wherever and to whomever we can.

Lucradia
February 25th, 2011, 10:27 AM
I've seen people ask for windows help in the CC too, it's not against the rules.

Try holding F8 after the POST is done to see if Windows brings up the Windows Boot selection list, and choose safe mode. Doing this will temp. offload most all drivers. (if you can, make sure not to choose "With Networking")

jerenept
February 25th, 2011, 10:34 AM
I've seen people ask for windows help in the CC too, it's not against the rules.

Try holding F11, F10 or F8 after the POST is done to see if Windows brings up the Windows Boot selection list, and choose safe mode. Doing this will temp. offload most all drivers.

it's F8.

Lucradia
February 25th, 2011, 10:54 AM
it's F8.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Perfect Storm
February 25th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Though it is not against the forum rules, we strongly recommending using forums that are aiming for a specific distro or specific OS, as people there have the specfic expertise to help.

Here's some good Windows forums:
http://www.sevenforums.com/ (W7)
http://www.computing.net/forum/windowsxp/1.html (XP)
http://www.vistaforums.com/ (vista)
http://www.vistax64.com/ (64-bit)

ki4jgt
February 25th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Thanks guys, Once again, I have gotten more support here than anywhere else :-) I've just checked those forums and no one has responded yet. The forum for Win XP had over 700 viewing it, so that's why I came here after 3 hours, b/c if I couldn't get help from 700 people, then I was really in a bad place. The F8 thing worked like a charm. Thanks again.