PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Troublesome wifi

Lloydstedman
February 24th, 2011, 06:42 PM
My wifi has been fine since I installed Ubuntu 10.4 on my Asus 1005p two weeks ago. It's connected all over the place and I live in a place in the middle east where wifi can be 'awkward' and restricted somewhat. I've had no issues.

However, for some reason the wifi will not now connect to the internet or even shake hands with a network at all. Neither to local networks I have used before happily, or to my own Mac created network at home that again has worked blamelessly before now.

The wifi works, it sits on the top taskbar and recognises the networks but will not connect. The connection icon will spin away but never take root on a regular network.

(The only way I can get online is via a USB 3g stick, which is fine, and of course very different.)

Is there a diagnostic tool I can use to find out the wifi issue?
Any idea what has changed as things were fine?
And I'm pretty new to Linux and although i use the terminal happily, I'm a cut and paste man at best.

I've updated software since this happened and rebooted, to no avail.

Ideas appreciated.

Regards, Lloyd

description: Wireless interface
product: AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
logical name: wlan0
version: 01
serial: 1c:4b:d6:82:a9:73
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath9k latency=0 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
resources: irq:17 memory:fbff0000-fbffffff
*-pci:2
description: PCI bridge
product: N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 4
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 1c.3
bus info: pci@0000:00:1c.3
version: 02
width: 32 bits
capabilities: pci pciexpress msi pm bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=pcieport
resources: irq:26 ioport:e000(size=4096) memory:f7f00000-f7ffffff memory:80400000-805fffff(prefetchable)
*-network

Bodsda
February 24th, 2011, 07:11 PM
My wifi has been fine since I installed Ubuntu 10.4 on my Asus 1005p two weeks ago. It's connected all over the place and I live in a place in the middle east where wifi can be 'awkward' and restricted somewhat. I've had no issues.

However, for some reason the wifi will not now connect to the internet or even shake hands with a network at all. Neither to local networks I have used before happily, or to my own Mac created network at home that again has worked blamelessly before now.

The wifi works, it sits on the top taskbar and recognises the networks but will not connect. The connection icon will spin away but never take root on a regular network.

(The only way I can get online is via a USB 3g stick, which is fine, and of course very different.)

Is there a diagnostic tool I can use to find out the wifi issue?
Any idea what has changed as things were fine?
And I'm pretty new to Linux and although i use the terminal happily, I'm a cut and paste man at best.

I've updated software since this happened and rebooted, to no avail.

Ideas appreciated.

Regards, Lloyd

description: Wireless interface
product: AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
logical name: wlan0
version: 01
serial: 1c:4b:d6:82:a9:73
width: 64 bits
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath9k latency=0 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
resources: irq:17 memory:fbff0000-fbffffff
*-pci:2
description: PCI bridge
product: N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 4
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 1c.3
bus info: pci@0000:00:1c.3
version: 02
width: 32 bits
capabilities: pci pciexpress msi pm bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=pcieport
resources: irq:26 ioport:e000(size=4096) memory:f7f00000-f7ffffff memory:80400000-805fffff(prefetchable)
*-network

Hi Lloydstedman,

Welcome to the Forums

Are you able to connect to these networks if you use an ethernet cable? This would rule out strange stupid things like mac address filtering.

The next thing I would look at would be disabling any encryption on the networks. Just to prove whether the Ubuntu device can connect. If it can, then we are looking at a router/encryption issue.

One other thing you can try is using WICD as your network manager instead of whatever gnomes default network manager is. Be careful if you go for this option though, as soon as you start installing WICD, the gnome network manager will be uninstalled, so if something goes wrong with the WICD install, your in trouble.

Can you also try booting off a 10.4 live cd and attempt to connect to your networks.

Hope this helps,
Bodsda

Lloydstedman
February 27th, 2011, 11:46 PM
Thanks. I can't actually try an ethernet as I'm generally in cafes or wifi hotspots.

I can create a network at home off a mac laptop, but can't ethernet into that. It doesn't currently want to connect to that homegrown network, but has in the past.

But it does connect to some wifi networks and hotspots happily and then frustratingly doesn't to others. I can be in a place where there are 20 people with windows and macs happily online, and I am not. So I'm pretty sure it's a localised issue with my Ubuntu.

I will try booting 10.4 off a USB and seeing how it connects. What will that tell me?

Can you also me how to install WICD and why you think I need to?

Thanks again, much appreciated,

Lloydstedman
February 28th, 2011, 12:09 AM
And is there an issue with the fact that

system/administration/hardware drivers tells me that

'no proprietory drivers are in use on this system'

Habeouscorpus
February 28th, 2011, 01:44 AM
And is there an issue with the fact that

system/administration/hardware drivers tells me that

'no proprietory drivers are in use on this system'

Nope, that just means that your hardware plays nice without proprietary drivers. That can be a good thing.