PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] LibreOffice - should I uninstall OO first?

cwmoser
February 24th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Wanting to install LibreOffice v3.3.
Should I uninstall Open Office first?
I'm currently using OO v3.2

Is LibreOffice better than Open Office - or just more Open Source?

Carl

rburkartjo
February 24th, 2011, 01:34 PM
cw you can keep both libre will work fine with oo still installed. your choice

gyussz
February 24th, 2011, 01:39 PM
The LibreOffice installer should automatically remove any OpenOffice versions. I had some bad experiences with earlier development versions, but nothing bad can happen. If the installer fails you can always remove OO manually and start the installer again. Should be fine.

LibreOffice seems better for me in functionality, compatibility and provides a bit more seamless usability. I also prefer the name :)

Hedgehog1
February 24th, 2011, 04:10 PM
The guide to get the correct version of LibreOffice is:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LibreOffice

The steps for a typical install on 10.10 are:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install libreoffice
Complete the installation by including the Ubuntu (Gnome) desktop integration:

sudo apt-get install libreoffice-gnome

:KS

marl30
February 24th, 2011, 04:29 PM
To answer your question about whether Libreoffice is better... from my experience it seems to be better than OOo, only slightly though, at least for now. Yesterday Libreoffice 3.3.1 came out adding new icons and a bit more speed and stability. They promised that in a months time we'll see 3.3.2, which should bring further improvement and design changes. However, we'll need to wait until May to see most of the planned changes and the implementations of many of the new feathers requested by users. So, making the switch is the right choice, as Libreoffice is expected to evolve into the best ever open source Office. :)

rburkartjo
February 24th, 2011, 06:57 PM
mar i agree about libre getting better with every new version.

Hagar Delest
February 27th, 2011, 02:38 PM
See also that one: LibreOffice broke my OpenOffice install (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10500663). LibO first RC used to remove OOo indeed but it isn't the case anymore. And they can run in parallel.

The PPA reps can lead to some troubles (see linked topic). That's why it's better to install through the official debs.