PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Lost my sound panel thingy

Jouke S
February 24th, 2011, 10:37 AM
[SOLVED]

I seem to have misplaced the sound panel 'launcher' (one click volume changing and a mute button nearby), how can I get this back?

It's not in the add-to-panel list and the panel item from System-Preferences-Sound is not the one I would like back.

robro
February 24th, 2011, 11:11 AM
It's called the notification area i think

Chris Edgell
February 24th, 2011, 11:24 AM
(I must say I don't understand robro's response.)

I don't know if it'll be me that can help you but you can look at my thread that is right now right near yours. Well, mine is called, "Please help me I have lost my sound gui" or some such title. Although the one you describe is definitely the one I first lost also!

You haven't entered into your profile WHAT "flavor" of Ubuntu/Linux you are using. That would give us a clue as to what you lost.

:)

Jouke S
February 24th, 2011, 12:29 PM
(I must say I don't understand robro's response.)

I don't know if it'll be me that can help you but you can look at my thread that is right now right near yours. Well, mine is called, "Please help me I have lost my sound gui" or some such title. Although the one you describe is definitely the one I first lost also!

You haven't entered into your profile WHAT "flavor" of Ubuntu/Linux you are using. That would give us a clue as to what you lost.

:)

Hey,
I've read your thread but it didn't help me get my sound panel back, I wonder why it's marked [solved]? I do believe we both have the same issue.
Robro was referring to the notification area panel in the Add to panel list, which didn't fix my problem, sadly. It did add panels like Networking and various others, however. Heck, maybe it will work for you.

I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 with GNOME btw. I'm referring to the default sound panel when I say sound thingy :p

migs73
February 24th, 2011, 12:34 PM
It is called the 'Indicator Applet' in the add to panel menu (right click on panel and select 'add to panel').

If it adds other stuff you already have, right click on the originals and delete from panel, leaving you the new ones. You can then move it into the correct place (just click and drag).

Mike

Jouke S
February 24th, 2011, 12:42 PM
It is called the 'Indicator Applet' in the add to panel menu (right click on panel and select 'add to panel').

If it adds other stuff you already have, right click on the originals and delete from panel, leaving you the new ones. You can then move it into the correct place (just click and drag).

Mike

Ah! That's it, thanks.
"An indicator of something that needs attention on your desktop" >.>
Doesn't really make me think of sound :P

Thank you

migs73
February 24th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Ah! That's it, thanks.
"An indicator of something that needs attention on your desktop" >.>
Doesn't really make me think of sound :P

No it doesn't does it, but try muting the sound and then try to run an app that is using sound, and you'll see speaker turns red, 'indicating that something needs attention' ie an app is outputting sound but you have it disabled!

Still it could be better named, or at least mention sound in the description.

Chris Edgell
February 24th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Yes, that's it for me too. Even though it added an envelope (Some mail program) when I right clicked and removed THAT, it removed the speaker that I got when I added the "Indicator applet". Even though you bolded ORIGINAL, it was as original as I had. So I'll leave that envelope up there unless you tell me how to remove it without removing the speaker.

I agree, they could have MENTIONED sound.

Thanks.

migs73
February 24th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Chris

To get rid of the envelope, open Synaptic package manager (System--->Administration---> Synaptic Packge Manager) type in password when prompted. Type in 'indicator-messages' in the search box. Now click on the box (it'll be green)on the indicator-messages line from the list below and click on 'mark for removal'.

Click on the big green apply tick (sorry that'll be 'check' not 'tick' for you US folk!!). It'll do its stuff and the envelope should be gone. If not log out and back in.

Again this could be easier........but it isn't. ;)

Mike

Jouke S
could you please mark the thread as solved (at the top of the first post, click on thread tools> mark as solved)

Chris Edgell
February 24th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Thank you very much. I'm attaching a screenshot....I suppose all the updates that it says it will be hold back are for the mail program "Evolution".

migs73
February 24th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Thank you very much. I'm attaching a screenshot....I suppose all the updates that it says it will be hold back are for the mail program "Evolution".

I've no idea, click on the 'show details' button if you are concerned.
I can't check for you as I don't use gnome panels at all any more (all of the above from memory!!), I only use AWN.
I have done it before and didn't have any problems that I am aware of, but I didn't use evolution at the time. Having said that I don't even use panels anymore and my evolution (which I do now use) works fine.

FYI I feel I have to share this, whilst looking at your screenshot, with your question in mind, I clicked on the 'show details' button.........doh...... oddly it didn't do anything.:oops: