PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wine is being a P.I.T.A...!!

JDM_SOHC
February 24th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Won't install any programs I've tried so far.. AIM, AOL, ConvertXtoDVD, etc etc... Is there something else I can use similar to wine, or perhaps a different version of Wine that I don't know about...

Thanks in advance, yes I searched, no I didn't have any luck...

Old *ix Geek
February 24th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Being a little more specific would help a lot! What kind of problems are you having? WHAT happens when you attempt to install something?

Also, I'm curious as to why you're wanting to use programs like AOL and AIM. Linux has zillions of programs available, and it's kind of silly to use one OS but stick with programs for a different OS. Have you tried Pidgin? Or any of the other IM clients that are available? As for AOL, can't you access everything from their web site? I mean, it's not still necessary to use their proprietary software, is it? Or do you simply prefer using it?

Artificial Intelligence
February 24th, 2011, 08:24 AM
As Old *ix Geek said, try use some of the Linux alternative instead. Wine is a hit or miss and should only be used for last resort.

That said which version of wine are you using?
You can also look at Crossover Office but cost; http://www.codeweavers.com/products/

Mark Phelps
February 24th, 2011, 02:18 PM
You should check the WineHQ site before attempting to install anything. The app rating will give you a good idea of to what degree it will work. For example, AIM (AOL) is rated Garbage -- meaning, it's not going to work no matter what you do.

Site link is below:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?bIsQueue=false&bIsRejected=false&sClass=application&sTitle=Browse+Applications&iItemsPerPage=25&iPage=1&sOrderBy=appName&bAscending=true

JDM_SOHC
February 24th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, I found out my issue... In the Wine Compatibility tab for some reason Windows 7 was checked and was preventing programs from opening up, so I set it to Windows XP mode and now everything works fine...

As for using those programs, I'm still pretty new to Ubuntu so I barely know any of the alternatives other than what I find in youtube and google searches when I look for useful and cool Ubuntu programs... Thanks again...

Artificial Intelligence
February 24th, 2011, 03:43 PM
I think you start a new thread about alternatives. Make a new thread and list the windows applications you use and ask people if they know any/some alternative applications to those you posted.

JDM_SOHC
February 24th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I'm having a hell of a time trying to find a program that will burn an avi to dvd as well... I'm trying basero, gnomebaker, etc but none give me that option.. And in DeVeDe for some reason, it's saying I need 8gb of free space to burn a dvd, which I completely don't understand because the movie itself is only 689mb..??

JDM_SOHC
February 24th, 2011, 03:51 PM
I think you start a new thread about alternatives. Make a new thread and list the windows applications you use and ask people if they know any/some alternative applications to those you posted.

No doubt, thanks for the tip..