PDA

View Full Version : Newer Linux distros?

cblnchat
February 24th, 2011, 05:24 AM
What are some newer linux distros? Id like to get a start on an early distro since im coming so late to ubuntu. Id like to see how they start...and also help out a bit.
Preferably based on GNOME like ubuntu i dont really like the other desktop environments very much.

Thanks very much

NightwishFan
February 24th, 2011, 05:30 AM
Edit

Figured out what you meant by newer. In that case, try Fuduntu:
http://www.fuduntu.org/

cblnchat
February 24th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Edit

Fuduntu seems to be quite far along...from what i saw its at 14.8.4
Is there any that are very early on?
Is there somewhere that has a list of all distros in order of when they came out, or their version number?

Thanks very much

NightwishFan
February 24th, 2011, 05:57 AM
Version number means nothing, and ill leave this thread at that.

unknownPoster
February 24th, 2011, 06:25 AM
Is there somewhere that has a list of all distros in order of when they came out, or their version number?

Thanks very much

Considering that the project is 3 months old or less, I'm not sure how you can consider it to be "quite far a long."

Just an FYI, I'm involved in a project that will directly be supporting Fuduntu in the next few months. If you feel you can contribute to Fuduntu in any way, stop by the forums.

cblnchat
February 24th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Considering that the project is 3 months old or less, I'm not sure how you can consider it to be "quite far a long."

Just an FYI, I'm involved in a project that will directly be supporting Fuduntu in the next few months. If you feel you can contribute to Fuduntu in any way, stop by the forums.

Im sorry i didnt realize that it was so new. And i didnt realize that the version number had nothing to do with how far along it is.
Thanks for the info and ill do my best.

CraigPaleo
February 24th, 2011, 11:31 AM
If you want something being built from the ground up, there are a couple of forks I know of: Mageia is a fork of Mandriva and Chakra was forked from Arch- neither of which have reached maturity.

Mageia should offer Gnome despite being KDE-centric.
Chakra tries pretty hard to stay as pure KDE as possible so, may not be a good choice for you.

If you don't mind a distro based directly on an older distro, there is Fuduntu, Pinguy OS, or Progress Linux.

fuduntu
February 24th, 2011, 03:10 PM

Thanks very much

It is only labeled 14 because it is aligned with Fedora 14, and started as a remix of that distribution.

if4124l
February 24th, 2011, 03:37 PM
http://elementaryos.org/

It's not even released yet, but it has some coverage @ http://omgubuntu.co.uk/ http://www.google.co.id/search?q=www.omgubuntu.co.uk+elementary+os

swiftlinuxcreator
February 24th, 2011, 05:36 PM
I recently started Swift Linux, which is based on MEPIS-derived antiX Linux. The web site is www.swiftlinux.org .

linuxforartists
February 25th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Pinguy OS (http://pinguyos.com/) and Bodhi Linux (http://bodhilinux.com/) are young distros that look pretty cool. How "new" is new enough for you?

You should also consider what kind of OS you want to work on. Pinguy OS is aiming at the average user and is loaded with common apps. Bodhi aims to be a minimalist, elegant distro.

As for getting involved. Bodhi has a team behind it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Pinguy OS only has one full-time developer. Both would probably welcome your help.

Neither of them have a corporation like Canonical supporting them. (Or you could argue that Canonical does support them, since both distros are based on Ubuntu).

nilarimogard
February 27th, 2011, 10:26 PM
If you want a KDE distro, I definitely recommend you try Pardus.

CraigPaleo
March 5th, 2011, 06:35 AM
If you want a KDE distro, I definitely recommend you try Pardus.

Pardus is my favorite KDE distro!

cblnchat
March 7th, 2011, 01:41 AM
Edit

I like the look and sound of Fuduntu. But is it bootable from usb? And can run on usb? I would just look on the website, but im having some WiFi problems and was barely able to make it to the forums.

Thanks

NightwishFan
March 7th, 2011, 01:50 AM
The creator of Fuduntu is on this forums, named Fuduntu. :) See if he is around.

fuduntu
March 7th, 2011, 02:30 PM
I like the look and sound of Fuduntu. But is it bootable from usb? And can run on usb? I would just look on the website, but im having some WiFi problems and was barely able to make it to the forums.

Thanks

Yes. You can use the newest unetbootin to write it to a thumb drive, or just DD it to one. You can also install to a thumb drive from other media (DVD, or another thumb drive).

Plumtreed
March 7th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Yes. You can use the newest unetbootin to write it to a thumb drive, or just DD it to one. You can also install to a thumb drive from other media (DVD, or another thumb drive).

...........but it needs more than a 4 gb thumb drive to install....unetbootin will run a live version for testing on a 2 GB thumb drive.

fuduntu
March 7th, 2011, 05:36 PM
...........but it needs more than a 4 gb thumb drive to install....unetbootin will run a live version for testing on a 2 GB thumb drive.

A 4GB SD card / Thumb drive should be OK for the install, that's what I use for testing. Probably isn't a lot of space left but that can be cleaned up.

Plumtreed
March 7th, 2011, 05:41 PM
A 4GB SD card / Thumb drive should be OK for the install, that's what I use for testing. Probably isn't a lot of space left but that can be cleaned up.

....yeh but, it is your distro, when I tried it told me 'to go whistle' and buy a more expensive thumbdrive!!!!!

any tips on how to do it?

fuduntu
March 7th, 2011, 05:48 PM
....yeh but, it is your distro, when I tried it told me 'to go whistle' and buy a more expensive thumbdrive!!!!!

any tips on how to do it?

Try configuring a smaller swap file, or no swap file. After installing, immediately patch and then clear out patch cache.

su -
yum update
yum clean all

Next in your root shell, cd into /usr/share/locale

run:

ls | grep $(echo $LANG | sed "s#\..*\$##")

Verify that it lists your chosen language settings.

If so, run:

cd /usr/share/locale ## Just to be safe
rm -rf $(ls | grep -v $(echo $LANG | sed "s#\..*\$##"))

That should free up a lot of space by deleting extra language files that you aren't using.

Then delete any documentation in /usr/share/doc that you don't need.

You should have almost a gig free after that.

Plumtreed
March 7th, 2011, 05:59 PM
I have tried it without the swap file but couldn't get it to progress....thanks for the feedback tho.......I will try again on the 4GB.

cascade9
March 7th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Preferably based on GNOME like ubuntu i dont really like the other desktop environments very much.

Gnome 2.X is going to be die, its just a question of time. Sooner or later, there will be no gnome 2.X distros left.

Better to find something you like now, the longer you try to stay with gnome now, the harder your life is going to get.

Tried Xfce?

Plumtreed
March 7th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Thanks Fuduntu, it works just the way you suggested and after cleaning up I have some free space.

I am running with no swap partition.

Timmer1240
March 8th, 2011, 04:09 AM
Linux Mint Debian hasnt been out for long been running it for a month now love it!Its based on debian testing and its a rolling release.

cblnchat
March 16th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Shoot! Im gonna have to get a 4gb memory card or thumb drive! All i have is 2gb memory cards right now. I could put it on my computer, but id rather not right now. I just got ubuntu running again after accidentally wiping the hard drive. lol

cblnchat
March 18th, 2011, 04:57 AM

Kay. I just found my 4gig microSD card. But i have a bit of a dumb question...how do i use unetbootin? Or how do i DD? Sorry im new to this. Aside from ubuntu ive never done this with any OS. :lolflag:

Thanks

MasterNetra
March 18th, 2011, 05:03 AM
Wolfer Linux, is probably a little known. However I would wait until RC3 is released, supposed to be up to date in Ubuntu updates, as well as sporting the STA driver (or was it the other one...)... of course if you don't mind having to do a mass update and don't care and/or need STA/whatever then knock yourself out obviously.

cblnchat
March 19th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Kay. I just found my 4gig microSD card. But i have a bit of a dumb question...how do i use unetbootin? Or how do i DD? Sorry im new to this. Aside from ubuntu ive never done this with any OS. :lolflag:

Thanks

I got it figured out. I was trying to use a .exe version of it. I didnt know that it came in a .deb ubuntu package. Its downloading now and ill put up how i like it when i finish.

Thanks

Edit: I couldnt find Fuduntu in the distrobution list so i just chose Fedora. Will that work?

NightwishFan
March 19th, 2011, 01:19 AM
Here:

cblnchat
March 19th, 2011, 01:39 AM
Here:

Thanks. And i just got a Fuduntu forums account. But they have to approve it so i can post in the regular forums.
But do you know how to make Fuduntu install to my microSD card? When i do it on the live cd there is a button to install to hard drive. Is that the hard drive on my netbook or the SD card?

Thanks very much

NightwishFan
March 19th, 2011, 03:29 AM
I still have barely got around to trying it, so probably best to ask on their forums when you are approved. :)

Plumtreed
March 19th, 2011, 08:46 AM
@cbinchat yeh go to the Fuduntu forum for help but be careful with the install cos it can go wrong...........you will get a choice of where to install ie. which drive,etc.

......are you using Unetbootin???

cblnchat
March 19th, 2011, 06:08 PM
@cbinchat yeh go to the Fuduntu forum for help but be careful with the install cos it can go wrong...........you will get a choice of where to install ie. which drive,etc.

......are you using Unetbootin???
Yea im using Unetbootin. And ill keep that in mind. But every time i go to select my microSD card from the menu i get some different error message. Sometimes their about not enough memory on the memory card. And sometimes its telling me that the card cant be in vfat format (which i dont know how to change) and it needs to be in ext3 format? Thats about it. The next time i go on there ill write it down and then give whoever needs it all the info.