PDA

View Full Version : UBuntu.... F-Spot=>Shotwell.... Rhythmbox=>Banshee

Primefalcon
February 24th, 2011, 01:08 AM
What am I missing here..... A lot of people chucked a fit and wanted to jump to Shotwell simply because it was based on mono..... and now Buntu are jumping to the MONO BASED Banshee from Rhythmbox....

Personally I don't really care since if I don't like something its a simple matter of uninstalling and I don't have a single issue with mono anyhow... but still this doesn't seem exactly consistent.

NightwishFan
February 24th, 2011, 01:22 AM
Ubuntu never had a problem with mono as far as I know. (and neither do I, I have used banshee for a long time now). Though Shotwell is a great choice as a default. It is light and fast, and the developers seem like they know what they are doing. (I cannot compare to fspot as I barely have used it)

Quadunit404
February 24th, 2011, 02:34 AM
Yeah, Canonical doesn't have a problem with Mono (and neither does Microsoft for that matter.)

Dragonbite
February 24th, 2011, 02:47 AM
Banshee has been getting great reviews, and as a bonus they have some release recently of one for Windows.

F-Spot seems to have started off strong but has lost momentum lately. Shotwell is a nice option but even that is not perfect.

I really wish there was something more like Picasa that ran native in Linux. Digikam is the closest I've found so far, but it doesn't recognize our Nikon camera in Gnome like the other 2 (F-Spot and Shotwell).

Yes, I see the irony regarding Mono after all the fighting and heated emotions not that long ago, but I think some of those people either left or finally calmed down and started thinking more pragmatically.

Primefalcon
February 24th, 2011, 02:55 AM
Yes, I see the irony regarding Mono after all the fighting and heated emotions not that long ago, but I think some of those people either left or finally calmed down and started thinking more pragmatically.
I hope so....

directhex
February 24th, 2011, 10:46 AM
What am I missing here..... A lot of people chucked a fit and wanted to jump to Shotwell simply because it was based on mono..... and now Buntu are jumping to the MONO BASED Banshee from Rhythmbox....

Ubuntu moved from F-Spot to Shotwell because Shotwell development is much more active

Ubuntu moved from Rhythmbox to Banshee because Banshee development is much more active

Simples

Primefalcon
February 24th, 2011, 12:14 PM
There was also a huge amount of people crying about the evils of mono at the time, was just wondering where that crowd was now....

Spice Weasel
February 24th, 2011, 12:47 PM
There was also a huge amount of people crying about the evils of mono at the time, was just wondering where that crowd was now....

We grabbed our pitchforks and moved on to bashing social networking and Unity.