PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Black Screen/Blinking Cursor after Restart

mobes
February 23rd, 2011, 11:01 PM
I just finished installing 10.10. After I initially restarted the desktop came up normally. I had previous problems before after I had installed updates and drivers and had to restart. When I did this it stopped at the black screen with the cursor and did nothing else.

I have since reinstalled again from the cd and this time did not install anything and instead tried to shut down and then restart. Same thing, black screen and blinking cursor. I could not get to the desktop.

I have seen some say that it is related to a graphics driver?? Can anyone help with this? Also is there an alternate way to finish booting? In both previous cases, I ended up reinstalling from the cd.

Thanks

Lead_Rover
February 23rd, 2011, 11:25 PM
What type of computer are you using? Do you have any particular graphics cards? Any particular information about your device might help someone give you a quick answer.

mobes
February 23rd, 2011, 11:32 PM
Well, I was able to get back in. I did figure out how to get to the menu by holding Shift key at startup.

I have a Compaq Presario R3240 with nvidia geforce 4 integrated. I have seen on the forum that the problem may be with the graphics driver.

Thanks for the quick response.

mobes
February 24th, 2011, 06:01 AM
Unfortunately, I have not been able to successfully install 10.10.

I just finished downloading again from cd and when I restart it just goes back to the black screen with cursor and stops loading.

I know that I can get to the grub by pressing shift during boot up. However, I'm not sure what I need to do from there. How can I determine what is causing this problem? It is frustrating especially when I want to try and learn more about linux.

As mentioned I ran a full install over windows from a cd. I have a presario 3240 laptop with a 60g hard drive. I've also see this could be related to the graphics card. I have an nvidia geforce 440 go card.

When I had been able to get to the desktop I had downloaded the additional drivers for Broadcom wireless and the nvidia 96 B driver.

I am really in need of some specific direction if possible.