PDA

View Full Version : Whats your Ubuntu Dream?

daksai3
February 23rd, 2011, 08:46 PM
It may not be Ubuntu in the end, but one day I want to find the perfect Operating System for me.

Currently I have taken steps to prepare myself for the multitude of Linux distributions that I will tryout. I'm thinking of starting a Blog about it, but I usually find trouble keeping my word with long term projects:D

***I'm only 14, this is probably going to be tough for me to manage.

I want to be an Linux nerd one day so instead of mooching off others for help I'll be able to give back to the community which is helping me grow right now.

This is one of those threads where you can get as corny as you want. XD :popcorn:

TriBlox6432
February 23rd, 2011, 08:49 PM
I want the Ubuntu community to quit ******** about anything and everything. :popcorn:

If you don't like something *coughunitycough* you can always change it. That's the beauty of Linux.

aaaantoine
February 23rd, 2011, 08:49 PM
Okay.

Let me ask this question, because you haven't specified: What do you want from an operating system that Ubuntu does not currently deliver?

I have my own answers to this question -- which is why Ubuntu is not my sole operating system -- but this isn't my thread. ;)

cariboo
February 23rd, 2011, 09:43 PM
Why stick with just Ubuntu, I use different distros for different activities, so far there isn't just one distribution that does everything I need well. Once you get past the shiney parts, most distributions are the same.

cascade9
February 23rd, 2011, 09:56 PM
I want the Ubuntu community to quit ******** about anything and everything. :popcorn:
If you don't like something *coughunitycough* you can always change it. That's the beauty of Linux.

I want people in the community to realise that isnt true (you can always change it). Try removing plymouth from ubuntu :P

NightwishFan
February 23rd, 2011, 10:30 PM
I think it is possible to remove plymouth, it is just packaged really weirdly. It is quite possible to get in contact with the folks who packeged it and talk about it.

Well, I for one am really interested in Ubuntu being trim and fast, even with the default install. It would be great if it consistently worked on systems 1/10 the system requirements for the latest Windows.

Also, I am a big fan of Debian, so I would like to see both projects work well together for a long time to come.

Luinar
February 23rd, 2011, 11:35 PM
The ultimate dream? For all hardware and software to be natively supported under Linux. ;)

SE7EN-LOCSTA
February 24th, 2011, 04:37 AM
an easy way to get some form of directx to run on ubuntu... so i can have my 3-d :)

teddfox
February 24th, 2011, 04:40 AM
the ultimate dream? For all hardware and software to be natively supported under linux. ;)

+1

jerenept
February 24th, 2011, 04:51 AM
The ultimate dream? For all hardware and software to be natively supported under Linux. ;)

Well, the first step in this would be a kernel driver API, but unfortunately, the kernel devs don't think it is a good idea.

I think Canonical should create and implement a Kernel Driver API, and use it in their kernels. Then maybe we could get some good drivers in Linux.

daksai3
February 24th, 2011, 05:17 AM
Why stick with just Ubuntu, I use different distros for different activities, so far there isn't just one distribution that does everything I need well. Once you get past the shiney parts, most distributions are the same.

Never thought of it that far. Just wondering, but what distros do you use and what are their purposes?

cascade9
February 24th, 2011, 08:10 AM
I think it is possible to remove plymouth, it is just packaged really weirdly. It is quite possible to get in contact with the folks who packeged it and talk about it.

No, its not removable. Well, you can remove plymouth but then you lose upstart, mountall and other bits I've forgotten.

About all you can do is remove plymouth-theme and/or disbale graphical splash, which isnt the same as removing plymouth.

NightwishFan
February 24th, 2011, 03:16 PM
edit.. Yeah, seems they need to rethink their packaging a bit. There are situations where packages just have weirdness and the normal algorithm cant pick up how to remove them right.

RiceMonster
February 24th, 2011, 03:19 PM
I think Canonical should create and implement a Kernel Driver API, and use it in their kernels. Then maybe we could get some good drivers in Linux.

And break upstream compatibility? That's probably not as good of an idea as you think. The best place for a stable API to come from would be from directly from the upstream kernel.