PDA

View Full Version : What's the right way to spell Qaddafi?

forrestcupp
February 23rd, 2011, 08:23 PM
There are over a hundred different ways the media spells Muammar Qaddafi's name. What is the right way to spell it in English?

Note: this discussion is only about the spelling of his name, not about his political views or leadership.

NCLI
February 23rd, 2011, 08:50 PM
There are over a hundred different ways the media spells Muammar Qaddafi's name. What is the right way to spell it in English?

Note: this discussion is only about the spelling of his name, not about his political views or leadership.

There's no "right way" to spell it in English. There are several methods for converting arabic text to western text, so Qaddafi and Khadafi are both "correct", just like "arigatou", "arigatő", and even "aligatou" are all correct ways to write the Japanese word for "thank you", though the last one looks silly.

Simian Man
February 23rd, 2011, 08:58 PM
I've also seen "Mao Zedong" spelled dozens of different ways.

NCLI
February 23rd, 2011, 09:05 PM
I've also seen "Mao Zedong" spelled dozens of different ways.

Nothing wrong with that either :)

NMFTM
February 23rd, 2011, 09:59 PM
There's no "right way" to spell it in English. There are several methods for converting arabic text to western text, so Qaddafi and Khadafi are both "correct",
I would say that whichever spelling looks more phonetically correct is the one you should go with. For example: Koran instead of Quran.

NCLI
February 23rd, 2011, 10:15 PM
I would say that whichever spelling looks more phonetically correct is the one you should go with. For example: Koran instead of Quran.

I think the pronunciation depends on the country, really. And in the Khadaffi example, both ways are phonetically correct.

coolbrook
February 23rd, 2011, 10:21 PM
It's detailed on his wiki. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muammar_al-Gaddafi#Name)

You could just call him Moe. It was one of the funniest instances on the Simpsons.