PDA

View Full Version : Stop recommending Unetbootin...please

SeePU
February 23rd, 2011, 06:21 PM
I despise that program. It doesn't work. The web interface looks awful especially in Linux.

Is this utility sponsored by Ubuntu? Their website uses the Ubuntu logo.

Sorry, but this program is absolutely one of the very worst I've ever encountered.

The creators/developers don't support their program. It's been lousy for years and at least one image (Live usb) System Rescue CD hasn't worked since the very early stages of Unetbootin and this still exists.

I think if people ask for another program, eventually someone will develop a project and give a better alternative to this overrated program.

Rubi1200
February 23rd, 2011, 06:34 PM
I respectfully disagree.

The program has always worked for me without any issues.

The interface may not be the most attractive ever, but if it gets the job done I don't mind.

BrokenKingpin
February 23rd, 2011, 06:36 PM
I respectfully disagree.

The interface may not be the most attractive ever, but if it gets the job done I don't mind.

This ^. I have had no issues with it, and has successfully booted everything I have thrown at it (many Distros, and even an MSDOS iso).

Are you sure you are using it correctly?

bradthewanderer
February 23rd, 2011, 06:39 PM
I have never had any issues with it as well. I have used every distro with it and no problems. Like the last post, perhaps you are doing it wrong.

qamelian
February 23rd, 2011, 06:43 PM
I respectfully disagree.

I agree. I've used it a number of times and never had any issue with it.

Rubi1200
February 23rd, 2011, 06:44 PM
One more comment:

I found that downloading whatever ISO I needed and pointing the program to it worked better than using the default list it offers.

Perhaps that is the source of the problems you described?

Tristam Green
February 23rd, 2011, 06:57 PM
lol. WorksForMe™.

NightwishFan
February 23rd, 2011, 07:03 PM
lol. WorksForMe™.

For all your subtleties you have not wisdom Darth Tristamus. ;)

Actually unetbootin has been great for letting me get Debian on a flash drive to install it. It can be a life saver if you run out of blank DVDs. I agree, though I probably will not be posting on a rant thread again, even to defend the project. (Which really does work, and is cross platform).

unknownPoster
February 23rd, 2011, 07:04 PM
lol. WorksForMe™.

No Kidding.

BigSilly
February 23rd, 2011, 07:04 PM
Used it today because I'd messed up my boot installing PCLinuxOS 2010. Had to put Rescatux on a USB, and used uNetBootin to do it. It's not flashy or anything but it works and I love it. :) It's a pity the startup disc creator in Ubuntu is never up to this simple job.

Tristam Green
February 23rd, 2011, 07:07 PM
*edit* redacted because its a massive secret that i work for OMG Cheesecake -- shameless plug!!

also the White Tower of Ecthelion != The Jedi Temple

unknownPoster
February 23rd, 2011, 07:09 PM
For all your subtleties you have not wisdom Darth Tristamus. ;)

Actually unetbootin has been great for letting me get Debian on a flash drive to install it. It can be a life saver if you run out of blank DVDs. I agree, though I probably will not be posting on a rant thread again, even to defend the project. (Which really does work, and is cross platform).

So just because it works for you, it obviously is a great product? I fail to see the logic in that.

I'm with the OP on this one. Personally, I've never had success with Unetbootin and I've always seen it as a very "hackish" way to install an OS.

NightwishFan
February 23rd, 2011, 07:26 PM
I just posted to poke fun at Tristam. :) All I said was I have had success with unetbootin to stay on topic. For a utility it works well and as I said being for Windows as well as Linux is a nice bonus.

unknownPoster
February 23rd, 2011, 07:44 PM
I just posted to poke fun at Tristam. :) All I said was I have had success with unetbootin to stay on topic. For a utility it works well and as I said being for Windows as well as Linux is a nice bonus.

Haha. Nor am I'm not saying it doesn't always work. That being said, I typically have to troubleshoot most things I do in the FOSS world because I'm a tweaker at heart and typically request that software do things it shouldn't do. ;) If I remember correctly, I was trying to use Unetbootin to install one of the more esoteric Linux Distributions.

SeePU
February 23rd, 2011, 08:29 PM
Okay, then maybe some of you will join me for an experiment?

I invite any of you to try putting SystemRescue CD on an usb stick with Unetbootin. I acknowledge unetbootin sometimes works. I recently created a live version of Parted Magic.

But, systemrescue cd won't work no matter what. I've tried two usb sticks with the same problem. There's a menu of options but the 'default' which should load systemrescue cd doesn't. I tried both an image (.iso) I downloaded plus the 'choice' in the menu you are provided (it is included).

I find it very odd but if someone can get it working, I'd be interested if you had to do any tweaks or tricks.

Everything else seems to work on my end: my sticks are good, my BIOS is set for the option to boot from usb .... as I said, I created a bootable Parted Magic image. I think I might have created an Ubuntu 10.10 bootable image at one, too. I can't fully recall about that one, though.

Anyway, I guess I can half agree with you that it can work but it's not universal or very reliable if you ask me.

I love the concept of booting from some usb stick, though! That's why I thought the program was promising and it seems difficult to find very many options that have a linux-based installer or native to linux. Many are Windows-based programs, it seems.

Anyway, if you decide to take on my challenge (I am not sure how else to convince or provoke you to help! lol!), that would be great. Please try it out and report back in this thread. Looking forward to at least one person giving it a whirl. I'd appreciate it and if it works for you, please try to give details as best you can. If it's straight forward, I will remain confuzzllllled... (I can't yet explain why that particular distro doesn't work but maybe I should try a few other ones but that one is a definite no-go for me.).

JDShu
February 23rd, 2011, 08:31 PM
UNetbootin tends to work for a subset of distros, mostly the biggest ones. Personally, it has worked well for me. The one time it kept failing me, I eventually found out that the problem was not with UNetbooting but with the faulty memory on the destination machine.

cariboo
February 23rd, 2011, 08:33 PM
So you are saying that because you can't get one iso to work, nobody should use unetbootin?

NCLI
February 23rd, 2011, 08:36 PM
I sometimes have issues with Unetbootin. However, they're always resolved by formatting the flash drive, then trying again.

SeePU
February 23rd, 2011, 08:38 PM
So you are saying that because you can't get one iso to work, nobody should use unetbootin?No, in the past, I had trouble with other isos. I think it's improved and I am starting to think there's an issue with systemrescue cd so I hope someone else will try it.

Just trying to narrow down the source of the problem. I will try to get another iso to work so that I'm not just basing on the success of PartedMagic to coincidence or chance. :)

I thought systemrescue cd was a popular application so it was surprising to be the failure when trying to use unetbootin with it. :confused:

cariboo
February 23rd, 2011, 08:50 PM
Just out of curiosity, if you use dd to create the device does it work then?

dd if=systemresce.iso of=/dev/sdc

of course change the device label to whatever yours is.

sikander3786
February 23rd, 2011, 09:18 PM
Did you check your ISO's integrity by running an MD5SUM test?

UNetbootin has always and always worked for me no matter whichever distro it was.

Using the download option in UNetbootin may corrupt the image during the download process (due to any reason) and thus fail in properly creating the bootable USB.

Simian Man
February 23rd, 2011, 09:26 PM
I have had problems with Unetbootin too. One was a confirmed bug, so it wasn't just my drive/ISO either.

fuduntu
February 23rd, 2011, 09:48 PM
I despise that program. It doesn't work. The web interface looks awful especially in Linux.

Sorry, but this program is absolutely one of the very worst I've ever encountered.

The creators/developers don't support their program. It's been lousy for years and at least one image (Live usb) System Rescue CD hasn't worked since the very early stages of Unetbootin and this still exists.

I think if people ask for another program, eventually someone will develop a project and give a better alternative to this overrated program.

WorksForMe™

I just make sure to always recommend the latest and greatest from the project page.

dh04000
February 23rd, 2011, 10:10 PM
I've had a TON of issues with it.

I wish LiLi was available for linux. http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

Its my ideal usb creator.

SeePU
February 23rd, 2011, 10:48 PM
I didn't really solve the problem except I created the image on the stick with LiLi (linuxliveusb). It required me booting into Windows, though....eck.... :)

So, whatever they do differently, it works. I'm inclined to blame unetbootin but I'm willing to speculate they're both to blame but to what extent, I don't know. Maybe systemrescuecd made a change that unetbootin didn't pick up yet or something? Anyway, all I can say is it didn't work for me when I tried to use systemrescuecd.

I don't think I should have to pursue additional utilities or at least, I don't want to invest the time to. I thought it should work with a tested iso and I used the one downloaded.

Sorry for all the commotion, though! I guess there is an option but too bad there's a perceived issue with unetbootin with some images/distros?

cariboo
February 23rd, 2011, 10:57 PM
Actually some good comes from these type of threads, I hadn't heard of LiLi until I saw it here. :)

wojox
February 23rd, 2011, 11:01 PM
Just out of curiosity, if you use dd to create the device does it work then?

dd if=systemresce.iso of=/dev/sdc

of course change the device label to whatever yours is.

This is what I always use. Hasn't let me down yet. Make sure to use /dev/sdx and NOT /dev/sdx1. Common mistake.

NightwishFan
February 23rd, 2011, 11:08 PM
Make sure to use /dev/sdx and NOT /dev/sdx1. Common mistake.

This isn't the block device you are looking for. You can go about your business.

:popcorn:

(on topic) Be careful using DD, done right it is very useful. If you use it wrong it is very destructive.

wojox
February 23rd, 2011, 11:15 PM
This isn't the block device you are looking for. You can go about your business.

:popcorn:

(on topic) Be careful using DD, done right it is very useful. If you use it wrong it is very destructive.

May the Source be with you. :P

beastrace91
February 23rd, 2011, 11:35 PM
I respectfully disagree.

+1

~Jeff

SeePU
February 24th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Yeah, I didn't want to use dd. 1) I didn't think it should be necessary and thought I'd have it as last resort and look at other options, first.
2) too risky - so last resort.

Cariboo, sorry, no intent to cause trouble or invite flames. I spent way too much time (no intention to spend much time with unetbootin or creating the image) on my 'project.' I could just as easily said forget it, I'll just use a CD! :D I guess no one has tried unetbootin yet with that particular distro but I'll keep tabs on the thread for a bit just in case.

Yeah, livelinuxusb (LiLi) seemed like a good solution although not ideal but sometimes you have to go with 'whatever works' and call it a day.

dh04000
February 24th, 2011, 02:11 AM
Actually some good comes from these type of threads, I hadn't heard of LiLi until I saw it here. :)

I just found out about it recently myself. Its an amazing tool! Canonical should endorse using it to install ubuntu for window users on usb. Its just a very intuitive program and it just does things(like setting up persistent mode automagically) that old unetbootin does not.

wilee-nilee
February 24th, 2011, 02:44 AM
I find unetbootin works best with pre-downloads of ISO's.

I use this though on a 16 gig thumb, there is a windows and at the bottom of the page a Linux version.
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/boot-multiple-iso-from-usb-multiboot-usb/

At this point I have these on the 16 gig.
Clonezilla
Parted Magic
gparted
Ubuntu 10.10
BitDefender Rescue CD
Kaspersky Rescue CD
Partition Wizard 5
Slax 6.1.2 Graphics mode (KDE)
Windows Vista/7
SliTaz
Puppy 5.2
Supergrub2
Knoppix

tgm4883
February 24th, 2011, 03:05 AM
I was planning on trying your challenge, but a little reading finds the issue.

From http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manual-en_How_to_install_SystemRescueCd_on_an_USB-stick

There are programs such as unetbootin or linuxliveusb that provide graphical installation programs that can be used to install SystemRescueCD to a USB stick. Unfortunately unetbootin fails to install SystemRescueCD-1.5.x to a USB stick so you should not use it. There is now an official SystemRescueCD USB installer for Windows that you should use.

SeePU
February 24th, 2011, 03:10 AM
I was planning on trying your challenge, but a little reading finds the issue.

From http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manual-en_How_to_install_SystemRescueCd_on_an_USB-stick
Yeah, read that recently but SystemRescue CD is now at version 2.0.1 so that's several progressions since 1.5. Or if there is some blurb about this situation remaining or being consistent through recent versions? I just thought they would have tried to work on it since then. I guess the two groups wouldn't sync between them to get issues ironed out.

Anyway, the linuxliveusb program DOES work well. It's Windows-based but seems pretty solid.

wilee-nilee
February 24th, 2011, 03:16 AM
Yeah, read that recently but SystemRescue CD is now at version 2.0.1 so that's several progressions since 1.5. Or if there is some blurb about this situation remaining or being consistent through recent versions? I just thought they would have tried to work on it since then. I guess the two groups wouldn't sync between them to get issues ironed out.

Anyway, the linuxliveusb program DOES work well. It's Windows-based but seems pretty solid.

The link in unetbootin didn't work but the separate download of the latest loaded and booted.

Hakunka-Matata
February 24th, 2011, 03:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeePU View Post

Huh?

sticky_icky
January 4th, 2012, 12:50 PM
unetbootin...more like uNOTbootin. it is absolutely, positively, beyond any shadow of a doubt, one of the LEAST useful and MOST error prone programs i can remember since the days of DrDos... horrible program. whether mac/linux/win, i've only ever seen some versions work and even then maybe 4/10 times and only with some distros, and not necessarily the "supported" ones.

that program has so many issues it should be on thorazine.

just my .02

medic2000
January 4th, 2012, 04:44 PM

+1

This program should be purged from the face of the planet. Every time without an exception this program fails!

The last occasion was when i try to make an Windows 7 bootable USB. I doesn't allow you to do it with NTFS formatted USB stick. And force you to use FAT32. Ok done that. But then it turns out that Windows 7 needs an NTFS formatted USB stick to boot.

Countless of hours went to thrash thanks to the Unetbootin again!

I will never ever use that program again!

KdotJ
January 4th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Great little piece of free software. I've never had any issues and its saved me a few times too.

BrokenKingpin
January 4th, 2012, 05:01 PM
The UI may be a bit ugly, but the program has always worked great for me, and never really had an issue with it. I use it all the time for creating live USB sticks. In fact, it works better for me than the Ubuntu live CD creator (on Ubuntu distros).

Maybe you are using it wrong, as I know a lot of people who use it without issue. It was also used on an episode of the Linux Action Show a few months back.

philinux
January 4th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Very old thread it's all been said. As with all software Caveat Emptor. But since it's free I guess just beware.
Closed.