PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Dual-boot with Windows 7 messed up.

Timos798
February 23rd, 2011, 06:08 PM
I recently tried to install Ubuntu 10.10 on to my Windows 7 computer so that I could dual-boot it. I didn't want to mess about with partitioning and the lot so I just clicked Install inside Windows, assuming that it would install it and I wouldn't have to do anything. But after it installed I noticed that it had deleted all of my files and my Windows OS. I am wondering whether there is a way that I could retrieve my files, or if somebody could post some instructions so that this doesn't happen again.
(Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I'm a complete noob.)

no1ninja
April 13th, 2011, 06:58 PM
It screwed up my computer too... what a piece of crap. Thing won't boot now, and the windows 7 repair does not recognize the partition anymore.

The piece of crap just added 6 hours of work to my life, its better to just pay for software, because it ends up costing you the time anyway.

I have ubuntu, stand alone and its fine. Don't trust their piece of crap installer when it says it will do dual boot for you. It won't, it will screw up your system.

Mark Phelps
April 13th, 2011, 09:39 PM
You have my sympathies -- really!

Given that most of the new converts to Ubuntu are most likely Windows users, and that Canonical (in one of the most stupid moves I've ever seen) decided to remove the long-standing "Use largest free space" option from the installer -- and replace it with a convoluted mess that runs a high risk of wiping out the Windows install in the process -- you've got to wonder "What were they thinking?" when they did this to the installer?

amerinde
April 13th, 2011, 09:59 PM
actually Mark Phelps (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=311399).. the install is good. it is just the newbies like me, well actually, i used ubuntu long ago, just come back for a 2 or is it a 3rd taste,, just gotta learn to read the warnings given. >Timos... it says something like install in the windows partition, and if u select that, it gives u a warning saying it will delete everything. i almost picked that install...

Timos798
April 14th, 2011, 07:23 PM
No, the installer is **** (pardon my language). I picked Install inside Windows and it completely deleted Windows and all my files and programs (over 1.5TB of files gone!), the description said that it would install it alongside Windows so that's what I expected it to do and that's what it should do, unfortunately it didn't.

Rubi1200
April 14th, 2011, 07:32 PM
I'm sorry this happened to you. I know it is a little bit late now, and certainly no consolation, but you need to read this:

In dual boot installs, side-by-side partitioning can be overridden by the user, resulting in data loss. After selecting the "Install alongside other operating systems" option, clicking on either the "Use entire partition" of "Use entire disc" buttons will override the side-by-side partitioning and result in a loss of data.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickMeerkat/ReleaseNotes#Known%20Issues

This thread also has more, especially post #15:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1622388