PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Grub.cfg does not update when “UPDATE-GRUB” or “GRUB-MKCONFIG –O /BOOT/GRUB/GRUB.CFG”

ylafont
February 23rd, 2011, 03:39 PM
I have Update grub 1.99~rc1, I have also followed the instruction to purge all data found here. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1448978 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1448978)
sudo apt-get purge grub grub-pc grub-common
sudo mv /boot/grub /boot/grub_backup
sudo mkdir /boot/grub
sudo apt-get install grub-pc grub-common

sudo grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
sudo update-grub
and I am still unable to update grub.cfg and have it reconge the new wallpaper ling in 05_debian_them.
/ect/grub.d/05_debian_theme
!/bin/sh -e

. /usr/lib/grub/grub-mkconfig_lib

# this allows desktop-base to override our settings
f=/usr/share/desktop-base/grub_background.sh
if test -e ${f} ; then
. ${f}
else
#WALLPAPER="/usr/share/images/desktop-base/moreblue-orbit-grub.png"
WALLPAPER="/usr/share/images/Eclipse.png"
COLOR_NORMAL="black/black"
COLOR_HIGHLIGHT="magenta/black"
fi

Would appreciate any insight, thank you!

enebre
February 23rd, 2011, 04:11 PM
Hey, purge need remove --purge ??

ylafont
February 23rd, 2011, 04:19 PM
unclear, not sure what you mean. can you clarify?

Quackers
February 23rd, 2011, 04:42 PM
Have a look at section 8 in this guide by drs305. The inclusion of splashimages varies with the version of grub in use.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275

ylafont
February 23rd, 2011, 05:13 PM
Still nothing.

I don't get why this entry needs to be place manually, as it is removed whenever update-grub or grub-mkconfig are excuted.

I tried to see the splash image on the local pc and a usb drive with the following

set pager=1
insmod font
loadfont /boot/grub/LiberationMono-Regular.pf2
insmod video
insmod vbe
insmod gfxterm
gfxmode=1024x768x32
terminal_output gfxterm
color_normal=yellow/black
GRUB_BACKGROUND="/boot/grub/Eclipse.png"

on both accounts, grub did not dipslay the image.

Quackers
February 23rd, 2011, 05:17 PM
It isn't removed when grub is updated if it's in the right place. Is your chosen
splashimage in /boot/grub????
Read the guide again, would be my suggestion.

ylafont
February 23rd, 2011, 06:26 PM
I know I am supposed to RTMF initially, but I can’t really be this much of an idiot (have to laugh at myself). OK, re-read the guide again. Followed the instruction son Section 2. specifically

A pre-made custom file, ''/etc/grub.d/40_custom'', is available in which users can place their own entries. This file will not be overwritten by Grub updates.
Also, Section 8 says. “the user can now include the background image designation directly into /etc/default/grub. Which I did, the entry was

GRUB_BACKGROUND="usr/share/images/Eclipse.png" and was placed along with the other grub commands.

I also placed the entry echo "Adding 40_custom menu entries." >&2 as described in section 6 to see if grub-update was processing the file 40_custom.. it did not. My result were:

ylafont@ubuntu:/etc/grub.d$ sudo update-grub
Generating grub.cfg ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-25-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.35-25-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-22-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.35-22-generic
done

When I inspected grub.cfg, my entries were not there. And when i place the entries manually, the image still does not appear. This was new installation of ubuntu 10.10 and upgrade to grub 1.99 that I did just for this purpose. Did I miss something?

Quackers
February 23rd, 2011, 06:31 PM
I would also suggest that you try to do only one thing at a time.
Where is the image that you want to become a splashimage? It appears that you were telling grub to look in /boot/grub earlier on. Now you're telling grub to look in usr/share/images. (which should have a / before usr, to signify root file system).

ylafont
February 23rd, 2011, 06:55 PM
I do, for ever change I make I run update-grub to see if it works and reboot. The frustrating part, is that i do not receive error messages to at lest see where the problem is.

The splash images on the local pc are stored in /usr/share/images and the grub configuration files point there. I have also made a usb boot drive to see if i get different results. on the usb drive the images are stored in /boot/grub.

i get the same result on both setup.

Quackers
February 23rd, 2011, 07:00 PM
If the image is in that file then you may just need the missing / before usr in the command. (I edited my last post to include that)

ylafont
February 23rd, 2011, 07:43 PM
Had already tried that without success.

That also does not explain why update-grub does not inform you that it is processing 40_custom menu entries.

I am rebuilding a new box to see if i get different results. is it recommended to stay with grub 1.98 or to upgrade to 1.99?

ylafont
February 24th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Sometimes you have to start from the beginning. After a new instllation of Ubuntu 10.10, everthing (at least grub2) is working the way it is supposed to. I can't belive i wasted three days ont his for no reason.

nerd-guy
May 20th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Sometimes you have to start from the beginning. After a new instllation of Ubuntu 10.10, everthing (at least grub2) is working the way it is supposed to. I can't belive i wasted three days ont his for no reason.

I am not a GRUB expert, but you could try:

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

The man page says that it needs to go to a file.

Good luck, Howard