PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Using extrenal hard disk with Ubuntu 10.04

vikramss
February 23rd, 2011, 01:58 PM
Hello people,

I have a very simple query. The internal CD drive of my laptop does not work any more. I am going to purchase a Transcend 250 GB external hard disk and its product information lists 'Linux Kernel 2.4 or later' as one of the operating system supported by it. So I think it will work with my Ubuntu 10.04 OS.

My actual problem is that Transcend external hard disk comes with software CD(which probably contains StoreJet Elite software intended to help manage data on hard disk) and I think that CD is essential to use that hard disk.

I want to know if I can use that external hard disk just by connecting it to USB port of my laptop. :confused: Or that CD is essentially required to use that hard drive. I haven't purchased a hard drive in the past so I don't know how to use them.

marin123
February 23rd, 2011, 02:11 PM
no matter what os you use you can plug&play external hard drives.
i have WD 1TB external hdd and i just plug it in and all of the partitions pop up. no need for any of the data managment software.

vikramss
February 23rd, 2011, 02:20 PM
no matter what os you use you can plug&play external hard drives.
i have WD 1TB external hdd and i just plug it in and all of the partitions pop up. no need for any of the data managment software.

Thank you so very much for your kind and quick reply. I was worried as internal CD drive of my laptop was not working but now I feel assured to buy and use that external hard disk. Thank you so much once again for the help. :)

marin123
February 23rd, 2011, 06:30 PM
what do you mean your cd drive doesnt work?
did it work before installing ubuntu? if it did work in windows, it has to work in ubuntu.

vikramss
February 23rd, 2011, 06:48 PM
what do you mean your cd drive doesnt work?
did it work before installing ubuntu? if it did work in windows, it has to work in ubuntu.

Thanks for your attention. :D

My external hard disk was working well with Ubuntu 8.10(Interpid Ibex). It failed due to some problem in my Lenovo laptop but I never paid attention as I didn't need CD drive for anything.

I've upgraded Ubuntu OS thrice since then and I am using 10.04 version(Lucid Lynx) these days. I need an external hard disk because I have to purchase a new laptop and transfer data of my Lenovo laptop through an external hard disk drive.

But if I would still have required internal CD drive to work in order to use external hard disk then I had no option except but to replace that internal CD drive. I hope I'll be able to use external hard disk without any role of internal CD drive of my laptop.

marin123
February 23rd, 2011, 08:01 PM
Thanks for your attention. :D

My external hard disk was working well with Ubuntu 8.10(Interpid Ibex). It failed due to some problem in my Lenovo laptop but I never paid attention as I didn't need CD drive for anything.

I've upgraded Ubuntu OS thrice since then and I am using 10.04 version(Lucid Lynx) these days. I need an external hard disk because I have to purchase a new laptop and transfer data of my Lenovo laptop through an external hard disk drive.

But if I would still have required internal CD drive to work in order to use external hard disk then I had no option except but to replace that internal CD drive. I hope I'll be able to use external hard disk without any role of internal CD drive of my laptop.

ok. so its a physical malfunction of the cd drive.

its nice to have an external hdd. i keep most of the files there and you can do a backup every now and then just to keep files safe (i recently lost all of my photos and music, i know how that hurts :D)...

vikramss
February 23rd, 2011, 10:48 PM
ok. so its a physical malfunction of the cd drive.

its nice to have an external hdd. i keep most of the files there and you can do a backup every now and then just to keep files safe (i recently lost all of my photos and music, i know how that hurts :D)...

Thank you so very much once again for your generous help. :)

I am purchasing external hard disk without losing a minute now.

It is really sad to know about loss of your photo and music files. I would request you to consider recovery of your data. I've read somewhere in these forums about a Linux software which probably helps to recover data. I will search the exact thread to find relevant information.

Thank you so much once again. :)

marin123
February 23rd, 2011, 11:10 PM
no need for that. i found out what was the malfunction (the disk fell from the table) and i replaced whole electronic (i bought the same disk) and when i connected it to the computer, partitions were corrupted.

vikramss
February 24th, 2011, 01:42 AM
no need for that. i found out what was the malfunction (the disk fell from the table) and i replaced whole electronic (i bought the same disk) and when i connected it to the computer, partitions were corrupted.

So you'll be surely backing up your precious data from now on. We can try to purchase commercially available music or other stuff if we lose that kind of data. But having a back-up is even more essential if we create some files on our own and can't purchase it from the market. :)